Breeding Stupidity!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Bonnie, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Where does the insistence that the war in Iraq is creating terrorists come from?
    by Hugh Hewitt
    07/14/2005 8:50:00 AM

more
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/825ijtne.asp

2. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think it's fairly safe to see at least some of the terrorists in Iraq have been domestic. Though I can't cite anything specific in terms of figures, I would be very surprised if domestics didn't consist of a large portion of jihadists. I can't see how someone can say there are less terrorists now, than before the war.

Even if that was not the case, it certainly and unfortunately has become a rallying banner has it not?

3. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Im sure that is the case however weren't they already rallying for the cause wherever they were?

4. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Some yes, assumingly now, more.

5. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It is a safe bet to say that outside terrorism did not exist in Iraq under Saddam. He was much too autocratic and dictatorial to allow anyone to threaten his hold on the country. That is the fallacy of any theories stating that Saddam conspired with bin Laden. Everything I have ever read about Saddam talked about his total distrust and hatred of the outside world.
    Removing Saddam and the resulting American occupation of Iraq gave militant forces a focal point to rally around. That is why you are seeing terrorist factions from all over gather in Iraq. It's like shooting ducks in a barrel. They have American forces on the half shell.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    So are you suggesting that the withdrawal of ALL US troops from Arab lands would diminish the hatred and terror attacks against the US and it's allies? I would think it would embolden them to have chased the "great satan" from thier land.

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    She doesn't know what she is saying. Just repeating the same old tired argument she has heard repeated elsewhere.

Saddam was known to have given money to the families of suicide bombers, he was known to have had contacts with AQ. He was known to have harbored known terrorists, he was the biggest terrorist there was in his own country. All things the libs like to overlook for convenience sake.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    It was worth a shot

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

My point really is that I do't believe Iraq is the cause for renewed terrorist activity or fanaticism. If not in Iraq they would be doing what they are doing elsewhere, the fact that they are now more centrally located makes it easier to remove them no?? To think that somehow if we never went into Iraq these terrorists would be laying dormant in my opinion is being naive. Have we done everything perfectly in Iraq of couse not, but I do think in the long run good will come from the fact that Iraq will have a democratically run government and that will elevate many people there and remove the tyranical ideology that made them terrorists in the first place. Evidence of this comes form the fact that so many terrorists are terriified that Democracy will be successful, as they know there will no longer be the environment to act as a breeding ground. Will there always be terrorism? of course but if enough countries give their people freedom to pursue a better life for their citizens perhaps their time will be better and more constructively spent.

10. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, it is quite the opposite. If you read bin Laden's original doctrines, his dispute with America is based almost entirely on ideology. Remember, bin Laden is a religious leader and not a secular one. He is not making land grabs. His twisted way of thinking is that American and its western allies are on Holy Land.
    Islam has been around for a lot longer than America has. They are not out on Crusades. This why you haven't had problems with terrorists prior to the 80s, which America became more deeply involved in Middle East affairs.
    bin Laden is out to destroy America because he believes America is out to destroy him. If America withdraws, bin Laden is not coming after you. Land grabs are secular ambitions. His goals are religious.