Break Away

The court case mentioned here is hooey. Yes, the court rules that the association with the union is permanent, but has the weakest of weak reasoning behind it -- indeed, this ruling is nothing but another form of 'force', with the result of the decision having been determined, and then an argument formed around it.

If I were arguing for TX, I would ask:
-Where is the Article I section 9 prohibition against secession?
-Absent same, how is secession not a right retained by the states under the 10th?
-Where does the Constitution specifically state that the association between the states, the other states, and the Federal government exist in perpituity?

Agreed...

How did West Virginia come to be...?

West Virginia was created when Virginia left the Union. The Confederate forces were easily driven out of that portion of the State and the people formed a "separate" Government. In 1863 the Congress recognized West Virginia as a State.

This action was Unconstitutional as the Constitutional clearly states that a State may only be formed from another State with the express permission of the losing State.

As I recall later, down the road, the Virginia Government won a load of money from the Federal Government rather than have West Virginia dismantled.

Forum List

Back