Bread And Circuses....

Tom Horn

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2015
NEARBY
When the first posters saying Barnum & Bailey were coming to town, I could think of little else when I was a kid. They walked the elephants down the street from the railroad cars to the circus grounds and the animals roared, and we roared back at them. I took a girlfriend from Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) to a B&B show here in Phoenix back in 2002 and she was wide-eyed and excited for 2 hours of circus pageantry and spoke of what she'd seen for the first time for days afterwards. And the show folds the tents and moves on to the next city. But that's not the whole story for the animals they've trained to do their tricks for a few minutes a night. They don't do back to another life...they go back to a cage. Oh, they're well-fed and doctored, and in good physical health but what about their mental health? I know many will never see these animals if not for the circuses, and I know that these are endangered animals who are poached for their heads and skins. But out in their world they have a chance to escape, even kill their would-be killers. And I've come to believe that if I were in their position, I'd rather take a bullet than live in a cage with a cement floor for my time on earth. I think it's time to end the cruelty of the traveling circus. This old lion had never been on dirt and grass before....that's sick.

• Banned
The advent of modern media, the proliferation of nature programs, all that should negate the original reasons for displaying animals the way they have been displayed in the past in circuses and zoos.

Even in remote backwaters like south and central america and southeast asia there are movements underway to seize these animals and give them a few years of freedom in a natural environment. I'm not against zoos that give their beasts the freedom to roam around a little...it's all in the attitude of the zoo. I love zoos but know how psychotic some of their animals are. Zoos like the San Diego zoo are aware of the new concerns and changing their approach...others are also.

• Banned
Eh, animals.

Have you kicked your dog yet today?
terror.gif

When the first posters saying Barnum & Bailey were coming to town, I could think of little else when I was a kid. They walked the elephants down the street from the railroad cars to the circus grounds and the animals roared, and we roared back at them. I took a girlfriend from Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) to a B&B show here in Phoenix back in 2002 and she was wide-eyed and excited for 2 hours of circus pageantry and spoke of what she'd seen for the first time for days afterwards. And the show folds the tents and moves on to the next city. But that's not the whole story for the animals they've trained to do their tricks for a few minutes a night. They don't do back to another life...they go back to a cage. Oh, they're well-fed and doctored, and in good physical health but what about their mental health? I know many will never see these animals if not for the circuses, and I know that these are endangered animals who are poached for their heads and skins. But out in their world they have a chance to escape, even kill their would-be killers. And I've come to believe that if I were in their position, I'd rather take a bullet than live in a cage with a cement floor for my time on earth. I think it's time to end the cruelty of the traveling circus. This old lion had never been on dirt and grass before....that's sick.

Thanks for posting the video, it is sick.

Odd thing now though is there are many species that will face extinction if zoos were to all close down. Human beings have a way of turning something natural into something bastardized 20 different ways.

Thankfully many of these animals do get to live part of their life in relative freedom in a natural type of surrounding.

If the cat is asleep it doesn't know if you kicked it or tripped over it....unless it happens twice.

Forum List

Back