Bravo, Charles Barkley

My wife said other blacks are like crabs trying to pull successful blacks down.

So ignorance is rampant in your household.

There's an old axiom that explains your small minded wife...'It takes one, to know one'

You should apologize for attacking a commenter's wife. How would you feel if someone attacked your husband?

How 'cute', you know I am a male. Do you have any more kindergarten tricks?
I recognize the irony in this.
In response to your original comment about my "Small-minded Wife", my wife is black, and knows better than anyone what blacks have done to her all of her life. So she is one, and knows not just one, but quite a few.

Nuff Said.
What happens to people is a 2 way street. People that experience the uncle tom or acting white treatment may be doing just that and inciting the treatment. That doesnt excuse it but it does explain it. At some point there was a determination made that Black people were going to assume this and once you become a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I learned this when one of my mentors told me to smile when I make eye contact with people. I made people nervous because I always had a serious or even mean look as I was told later. Once I begin to smile at people I saw that most people simply respond to whatever you put out there.

It will be interesting to see if the Left turns on Barkley...they tend to be extremely intolerant.

More likely they'll pretend he never said it.

When cornered, they'll just deflect.

Well why do you say that, I haven't heard any politicians from the right raising the topic, perhaps both parties have a need to be informed of the issue.

It will be interesting to see if the Left turns on Barkley...they tend to be extremely intolerant.

More likely they'll pretend he never said it.

When cornered, they'll just deflect.

Well why do you say that, I haven't heard any politicians from the right raising the topic, perhaps both parties have a need to be informed of the issue.

Conservative politicians are terrified of bringing this stuff up.

They're completely intimidated by the PC Police, as is most of the country.

They're afraid of being labeled a "racist", as is most of the country.

So they keep their mouths shut.

Proof this exists is in Obama speech patterns...
Early on, observers noted Obama’s Ebonic lapses when speaking to black audiences and saw in them a sly attempt to pander to African-American voters. But they had it precisely backward: to black audiences, his ability to speak in pulpit inflections one moment and concave Midwestern tones the next made him seem more black, not less. We saw him as no different than any African-American lawyer who speaks black English at home and another, entirely more formal language, in his professional environment.

Barack X - The New Yorker

It is sad that the elegance and efficiency of "white English" has to be dumbed down for "black English" users.
Most Ebonic sentences are basically shortened words "lazy" word use .."bro" instead of "brother".
I am a proponent though of efficient "English" and in same cases while "bro" might be quicker then "brother".. the implication
of "laziness" is not worth it to me to use the term.
No one cares what you are a proponent of. Calling Ebonics dumbed down is pretty funny considering you probably would have a hard time learning it. People speak to communicate and not to please you. One of the funniest things I have experienced is when white people think they can tell people how to use the English language. I speak whatever way necessary to get my point across. If my audience is more comfortable with "correct" english then thats what I use. If I am speaking to people that feel more comfortable using the dialect of Ebonics then thats what I do. How a white person wants me to speak to another Black person doesnt merit any consideration in my world.
So you play to the level of your audience... rather then helping RAISE the level of your audience you prefer to keep them speaking lazy english. See the problem I have with that is most of the advances in our society have been by following very simple specific rules of physics and translated by english.
For example "At 9:30 PM turn your car left at the next corner".
But an Ebonics bro would say:
Yo At 9:30 PM turn yo' `64 left at da next corner" -
See more at: Ebonics Translator - Translate English into Ebonics with the Pimp Translator

Is that what you mean by speaking to the level of your audience???
There is so much wrong with your post its hard to know where to start. Well...I never said I play to the level of my audience. I said I speak in the dialect they are comfortable hearing. Only someone not proficient in getting their point across would see that as a bad move. The ultimate goal of language is to convey ideas, convince, educate etc. You are one of the fools that would alienate their audience and actually think you accomplished something. You just broke the first rule of communications by introducing discomfort. You would be a very ineffective speaker. I on the other hand would be successful no matter where I spoke.

Milkweed, you definitely are NOT in demand as a speaker though because audiences generally listen to speakers to learn
something. The Latin root of the word audience is Audire, which means to hear and as a result people that want to hear
want to "learn" something. Listening to you speak in Ebonics... well Milkweed... tell me what would be learned from this statement.......
"Yo As muh motha fuckin audience you came wanting ta learn somethin` so ah be speaking in yo' language. ah truly hope all da hairs in yo' nose fall out at da same tyme just like mammy." -
See more at: Ebonics Translator - Translate English into Ebonics with the Pimp Translator

You are reaching your audience for sure...not sure what the "audience" learns from comments like the above!
In your attempt to not look foolish you have resorted to playing a clown. Let me give you a tip. You still look the fool. I understand people want to learn and hear. You still miss the point that if you dont speak their dialect the chances of them learning or even hearing go down exponentially.

For example. If you moved to Japan and had to learn the customs there in one day, would it be much easier to learn the customs in english or in Japanese? Let me answer that for you. Yes. In that scenario you may even know some Japanese. However, if English is your primary language, then thats what you are going to be more comfortable with your teacher using to educate you. If you dont know or maybe even dislike the Japanese language you may tune out the teacher.

Where are your statistics that their learning goes down "exponentially"?

Sorry but you obviously never heard of Language Immersion...
In complete immersion, almost 100% of class time is spent in the foreign language. Subject matter taught in foreign language and language learning per se is incorporated as necessary throughout the curriculum. The goals are to become functionally proficient in the foreign language, to master subject content taught in the foreign languages, and to acquire an understanding of and appreciation for other cultures. This type of program is usually sequential, cumulative, continuous, proficiency-oriented, and part of an integrated grade school sequence.

No one cares what you are a proponent of. Calling Ebonics dumbed down is pretty funny considering you probably would have a hard time learning it. People speak to communicate and not to please you. One of the funniest things I have experienced is when white people think they can tell people how to use the English language. I speak whatever way necessary to get my point across. If my audience is more comfortable with "correct" english then thats what I use. If I am speaking to people that feel more comfortable using the dialect of Ebonics then thats what I do. How a white person wants me to speak to another Black person doesnt merit any consideration in my world.
So you play to the level of your audience... rather then helping RAISE the level of your audience you prefer to keep them speaking lazy english. See the problem I have with that is most of the advances in our society have been by following very simple specific rules of physics and translated by english.

There is so much wrong with your post its hard to know where to start. Well...I never said I play to the level of my audience. I said I speak in the dialect they are comfortable hearing. Only someone not proficient in getting their point across would see that as a bad move. The ultimate goal of language is to convey ideas, convince, educate etc. You are one of the fools that would alienate their audience and actually think you accomplished something. You just broke the first rule of communications by introducing discomfort. You would be a very ineffective speaker. I on the other hand would be successful no matter where I spoke.

Milkweed, you definitely are NOT in demand as a speaker though because audiences generally listen to speakers to learn
something. The Latin root of the word audience is Audire, which means to hear and as a result people that want to hear
want to "learn" something. Listening to you speak in Ebonics... well Milkweed... tell me what would be learned from this statement.......
"Yo As muh motha fuckin audience you came wanting ta learn somethin` so ah be speaking in yo' language. ah truly hope all da hairs in yo' nose fall out at da same tyme just like mammy." -

You are reaching your audience for sure...not sure what the "audience" learns from comments like the above!
In your attempt to not look foolish you have resorted to playing a clown. Let me give you a tip. You still look the fool. I understand people want to learn and hear. You still miss the point that if you dont speak their dialect the chances of them learning or even hearing go down exponentially.

For example. If you moved to Japan and had to learn the customs there in one day, would it be much easier to learn the customs in english or in Japanese? Let me answer that for you. Yes. In that scenario you may even know some Japanese. However, if English is your primary language, then thats what you are going to be more comfortable with your teacher using to educate you. If you dont know or maybe even dislike the Japanese language you may tune out the teacher.

In complete immersion, almost 100% of class time is spent in the foreign language. Subject matter taught in foreign language and language learning per se is incorporated as necessary throughout the curriculum. The goals are to become functionally proficient in the foreign language, to master subject content taught in the foreign languages, and to acquire an understanding of and appreciation for other cultures. This type of program is usually sequential, cumulative, continuous, proficiency-oriented, and part of an integrated grade school sequence.
Great deflection. What did that have to do with my point? Complete immersion requires a commitment to the subject matter from the listener. An audience has no such commitment. If I am speaking to inform or convince someone of something complete immersion has no bearing.

Great deflection. What did that have to do with my point? Complete immersion requires a commitment to the subject matter from the listener. An audience has no such commitment. If I am speaking to inform or convince someone of something complete immersion has no bearing.
You raised the Japanese analogy.
I didn't!
But where are your stats regarding "exponentially"???

I didn't!
An analogy is used to explain the point, not as a escape pod for you and your failed logic. I dont need stats. Commercials, common sense, and professional speakers should be able to help you see the error of your logic.

I didn't!
An analogy is used to explain the point, not as a escape pod for you and your failed logic. I dont need stats. Commercials, common sense, and professional speakers should be able to help you see the error of your logic.

A little education from the Internet BRO!!!

Analogy:
A similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.
You used the analogy of a Japanese language class NOT me.... YOU tried to use it to explain a point!
Again a little help... when you see the little dotted red underline a word...IT MEANS it's misspelled and for accuracy you should correct it... but again you are trying act so educated but your lack thereof is showing.
As most people of your ilk do you make an exaggerated statement..." hearing go down exponentially." but won't back it up!
The next thing I know is you'll give up on this interesting exposé of your intelligence level because frankly you can't deny
that Ebonics is NOT a language but a lazy use of English!

I didn't!

Analogy:
A similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.
You used the analogy of a Japanese language class NOT me.... YOU tried to use it to explain a point!
Again a little help... when you see the little dotted red underline a word...IT MEANS it's misspelled and for accuracy you should correct it... but again you are trying act so educated but your lack thereof is showing.
As most people of your ilk do you make an exaggerated statement..." hearing go down exponentially." but won't back it up!
The next thing I know is you'll give up on this interesting exposé of your intelligence level because frankly you can't deny
Another ill disguised deflection. You dont determine what a language is. If I can speak it and you cant then its a language no matter what white person approved label you put on it. What you as a white person thinks is or is not a language doesnt concern me. If you have a problem with my label then thats just too bad. Getting back to the point please explain to my why its better to speak in a manner/language thats not the best fit for communication?

I didn't!

Analogy:
Another ill disguised deflection. You dont determine what a language is. If I can speak it and you cant then its a language no matter what white person approved label you put on it. What you as a white person thinks is or is not a language doesnt concern me. If you have a problem with my label then thats just too bad. Getting back to the point please explain to my why its better to speak in a manner/language thats not the best fit for communication?
Ebonics isn't a language you dolt. Its just a bunch of morons who cant speak English properly. Quit trying to dress up a turd. You can put a bow on it and call it whatever you want, but its still a smelly piece of shit in the end.

I didn't!

Analogy:

We use to speak in "grunts" and "groans"... we became smarter by using better and more clear speech.
As much as you ignorantly want to deny it, the vast majority of civilization advancements came from speaking clearly and
with precision that lazy speech patterns don't provide.
I look at the contributions that people that speak clearly and accurately have made and compare to "Ebonics"?
You tell me which has helped more people to have a better life.

I didn't!

Analogy:

We use to speak in "grunts" and "groans"... we became smarter by using better and more clear speech.
As much as you ignorantly want to deny it, the vast majority of civilization advancements came from speaking clearly and
I look at the contributions that people that speak clearly and accurately have made and compare to "Ebonics"?
Clear or lazy are subjective terms. Just because you fail to understand something doesnt mean everyone fails to understand it. If people that spoke Ebonics could not understand each other you would have a point. As it is you dont. Again the purpose of a language is to communicate. White people like you seem to have a problem with that simple concept which would explain why you never developed a written language of your own.

I didn't!

Analogy:
Ebonics isn't a language you dolt. Its just a bunch of morons who cant speak English properly. Quit trying to dress up a turd. You can put a bow on it and call it whatever you want, but its still a smelly piece of shit in the end.
Your own dictionary says you are wrong but everyone already knew that idiot.

Language Define Language at Dictionary.com

a body of words and the systems for their use common to a people who are of the same community or nation, the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition

I didn't!

Analogy:
Your own dictionary says you are wrong but everyone already knew that idiot.

Language Define Language at Dictionary.com

a body of words and the systems for their use common to a people who are of the same community or nation, the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition
Failing to speak proper english doesnt qualify as a language. Its just a bunch of dummies who dont know how to speak right. Anyone who speaks ebonics is a failure. Get it now?

I didn't!

Analogy:

Clear or lazy are subjective terms. Just because you fail to understand something doesnt mean everyone fails to understand it. If people that spoke Ebonics could not understand each other you would have a point. As it is you dont. Again the purpose of a language is to communicate. White people like you seem to have a problem with that simple concept which would explain why you never developed a written language of your own.

What do you mean "White people like you seem to have a problem with that simple concept which would explain why you never developed a written language of your own"? You are writing in ENGLISH! NOT EBONICS!

You are a perfect absolutely PERFECT example of the idiocy of people like YOU!

You make an absolutely totally stupid statement:"never developed a written language of your own".. YET YOU ARE WRITING ON
THIS FORUM in that "never developed written language"!
How absolutely incoherent! YOU have totally made the case!

Analogy:

What do you mean "White people like you seem to have a problem with that simple concept which would explain why you never developed a written language of your own"? You are writing in ENGLISH! NOT EBONICS!

You are a perfect absolutely PERFECT example of the idiocy of people like YOU!

You make an absolutely totally stupid statement:"never developed a written language of your own".. YET YOU ARE WRITING ON
THIS FORUM in that "never developed written language"!
How absolutely incoherent! YOU have totally made the case!

English is borrowed from several different cultures. I thought everyone knew that?

Forum List

Back