BP going bankrupt! stocks down 15%!!

Discussion in 'Stock Market' started by blu, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    I know, I have seen people over the years do just that and pump 10 gallons on the concrete.
    Total idiots.

2. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    I've never seen it in person but I do know this. Benzene is considered HAZMAT and requires a special type of clean up...that costs money and the stations pass that on to the insurance companies of said dumb asses.

3. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,494
    If a company was lax in its prevention practices, it must be held accountable. It is inexcusable for any oil company to not invest in preventative measures. They must be held accountable or the public will forever distrust the industry.

...which leftwing radical said that??

4. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Don't know who said that, but I agree with it.

That does not change the fact that hoping that BP fails because of this disaster, is not all that smart. If we want BP to pay for the clean up of this mess, we have to hope and pray that BP is around long enough to do so.

Responsibility for this? I would say that it lies on the shoulders of the people who chose not to install the valve that could have prevented this on going problem AND on the shoulders of those who allowed them to get away with it. I say find out who is responsible for that and if they broke the law than hound them for the rest of their days.

I have to say, not knowing full well how the decision came about, and having heard rumors that Dick Cheney is responsible for allowing BP to get away with not having the valve, I would be all for throwing this in that SOB's lap.

Regardless, we need to have BP around long enough to clean this frigging mess up. Blu is wrong if he thinks them filing bankruptcy and selling off their assets that those who purchase the assets are going to also be purchasing the liability or if he thinks selling off BP assets for pennies on the dollar, which is what would happen, will cover the costs of cleaning up this mess. If BP goes under then for certain the taxpayers of the U.S. are going to have to pay for the clean up. No one else is going to do it.

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Read the rolling stone article about how slow the GOVERNMENT has been to do anything. Plus nobody in the government is CAPABLE of doing anything except threaten those who can. And if Sean Hannity's reports are accurate, why have not all the booms and skimmers been deployed yet to this day??? Why did the P-BO admin refuse Dutch Shell's help and STILL isn't accepting much help.

Makes one wonder if this is being made deliberately worse, but really I just think they're that incompetent. Possibly the worst inner circle of a president since Carter, if not Hoover.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,494
    Shareholders are normally last in line for assets if a company goes under.

P.S. Sarah Palin said that. :lol::lol::lol:

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    No kidding about the shareholders.

Problem is that if BP assets are sold for pennies on the dollar which is what will happen there would not be enough to pay for the clean-up and I don't give a damn about shareholders receiving anything if the company should go belly up. The clean-up of this disaster is first and foremost in importance.

As to Sarah Palin being your "left-winger" that said that, it doesn't matter either. In this case, she's right. BP should be held accountable, problem is we can't wait for the courts to hold them accountable. This crap needs to be cleaned up sooner rather than later.

Immie

8. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +571
    The reality is that BP would walk away from the US and adopt a new strategy without American revenues before they would declare bankruptcy. The truth is that the Federal government can now only force BP to provide whatever relief BP is willing to provide on their own.

BP isn't going anywhere anytime soon. At some point they will reach their financial tipping point, and they will walk away from this disaster, leaving us to carry the load.

Which is why our government should have long ago gotten more involved in this mess, taken charge, and kicked BP to the curb.

Obama may still be looking for an ass to kick, but those of us watching the oil roll onto our shores already know where it is.

And its coming back down Monday and Tuesday for another photo-op and rhetoric tour.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  10. CurveLight

CurveLight BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Considering BP's track record on safety and envrionment it would be a great thing if they went under. You dumbfucks act like BP makes the fucking oil.