Boston college is Gracious to DR Rice

Discussion in 'Education' started by Bonnie, May 23, 2006.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    By BRANDIE M. JEFFERSON
    Associated Press Writer

BOSTON

http://www.townhall.com/news/ap/online/gov/cabinet-state-pentagon/D8DSLC4G9.html

2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I think it's funny how the Catholics at BC are throwing religion at the religious right as a means to degrade what they've done in Iraq. It's sort of ironic, since God did tell Bush to invade Iraq.

Regardless, though, this has made me think about how I would react to a speaker such as Rice or Mccaine. I'm going to be a sophomore at nyu which is right next to the New School where Mccaine recently gave a speech at graduation. I heard that they were brutal and I would expect a similar reaction if he came to my school.

Personally, I've always believed that a graceful protest is more beneficial than screaming obscenities. If we act like adults, our message is received and comprehended. When students simply scream and yell and act like immature children, then that is how they are treated. Their message is attributed to the traditional, young college liberal who doesn't know any better and can't control himself.

After a year in college, I must say that students who understand the political climate are not just talking out of their asses as many would perceive them to be. There is substance behind their words. But when immature action overrides the message itself, all college liberals get a bad name.

3. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    It is a true shame that simple things like respect are lost in today's youth and society.

You know what? You can disagree. Hate the individual and what he/she stands for. But would it kill you (not you specifically..but then again..maybe) to sit there, shut up, show the person respect and then go on your merry way?

Would it kill you to do that?

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I find it far more interesting that respect is something that's only supposed to be shown to conservatives...but in talking about dems, the nastiest that Annie Coulter can throw out there is found "acceptable".

Maybe it should go both ways? Personally, I think there's an appropriate place for protest and an appropriate place to keep one's disagreements internalized. But my line may be different from someone else's.

5. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I agree 100% that it should go both ways. Respect is respect. Young people, middle age, elderly...it doesn't matter.

If a student doesn't like the college's choice for speaker, oh well. There are going to be many other things in life that will be disliked.

Deal with it.

Just as the student should respect the speaker, the speaker should respect the students. This is a graduation ceremony. A chance to motivate the students to go out and make a name for themselves. Work hard, make a nice living, have a wonderful family, love their children, etc. The speaker shouldn't use this platform as something to further a political agenda.

It has all become very out of control. And that is a shame.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I think we're on the same page on this one. Well said.

If it's a political venue, then yes, by all means dissent. But if it's a graduation, the academy awards or the like, then I think respect on both sides is warranted. Then only if the speaker digresses into the political or disrespectful should the audience respond accordingly.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Your standards don't really matter, because we each must formulate our own version of right and wrong. :rolleyes:

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I seem to remember a pie being thrown in Coulter's face at a university she was speaking at. What's more interesting to me is how liberals deal with conservatives, there seems to be more of an acceptance to prevent conservative an open venue before they even get a chance to speak. Maybe liberals should find new tactics in discenting as you say, or at least wait until everyone has had their say then disagree?

9. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I didn't think the pie thing was appropriate either.

That said, having Annie speak is, by definition, a political statement and is fair game for response, protest and any other type of dissent. She has no other value EXCEPT for her extremist pov. Huge difference since Annie is, for sure, not going to do anything but rant and rave about politics. Or do you think she has some other value?

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I think she has the right to speak, she was invited to do so. Anyone has the right the speak, or don't you agree with that? She has the right to speak, and others have the right to dissent. Pie throwing was way out of bounds no matter what her politics are.