Borders is recalling the book Unfit for Command

I was in Borders a month ago, and in the non-fiction section, I saw Arming America, which won a Bancroft Prize which was subsequently revoked due to faulty scholarship. Borders apparently has no problem continuing to keep this book on their non-fiction shelves; yet, because this book is damaging to the Kerry campaign, they are pulling it?

gop_jeff said:
I was in Borders a month ago, and in the non-fiction section, I saw Arming America, which won a Bancroft Prize which was subsequently revoked due to faulty scholarship. Borders apparently has no problem continuing to keep this book on their non-fiction shelves; yet, because this book is damaging to the Kerry campaign, they are pulling it?

Is Borders' really doing this??? It's not an urban myth or something???

This is disgusting. This is the first time I've heard of a book distributor pulling a book off the shelves simply because of so called allegations of libel. What specifically was untrue about it, I wonder?

But look, you can still pick up Joe Wilson's book at Borders, which is particularly condemning Bush and how our president lied about Saddam seeking Uranium in Nigeria.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078671378X/qid=1093141849/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_4/103-9304263-6518255?v=glance&n=507846[/ame]

And yet we now know many of the claims made in the book are simply untrue, and have testimony from Wilson himself, to congress, who recanted key details of his case against Bush. This is PUBLIC TESTIMONY UNDER OATH BY THE AUTHOR HIMSELF.

And yet the book is still on the shelves.

I don't get these people, what the F*CK are they trying to pull here with this double standard.

Comrade said:
This is disgusting. This is the first time I've heard of a book distributor pulling a book off the shelves simply because of so called allegations of libel. What specifically was untrue about it, I wonder?

But look, you can still pick up Joe Wilson's book at Borders, which is particularly condemning Bush and how our president lied about Saddam seeking Uranium in Nigeria.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...04263-6518255?v=glance&n=507846&tag=ff0d01-20

And yet we now know many of the claims made in the book are simply untrue, and have testimony from Wilson himself, to congress, who recanted key details of his case against Bush. This is PUBLIC TESTIMONY UNDER OATH BY THE AUTHOR HIMSELF.

I don't get these people, what the F*CK are they trying to pull here with this double standard.
So someone layed a heavy threat on the distributors? Do they have a response?

musicman said:
The truth is winding it's way around Kerry's neck like a noose.

Nah, it's just the coils of Dubbyuh's snake-in-the-grass hatchet-men doing a number on Kerry the same way they did a number on John McCain in 2000. Truth is not at issue here. They're working so hard to discredit Kerry's military record as Dubbyuh has none to speak of...

Bullypulpit said:
Nah, it's just the coils of Dubbyuh's snake-in-the-grass hatchet-men doing a number on Kerry the same way they did a number on John McCain in 2000. Truth is not at issue here. They're working so hard to discredit Kerry's military record as Dubbyuh has none to speak of...

Whew... I just came back from Yahoo on this topic and it's like I never left it!

Here's some relevant questions about that sneaky Bushy for you to reflect upon, Bullypulpit.

I'll give my answers and you're welcome to disagree and explain, because I can't find any intelligent Bush haters on Yahoo at all... what's wrong with those people?

1. Who has signed over their military records to the public domain, Bush or Kerry?

(Bush)

2. Who has claimed their military career as a campaign issue, Bush or Kerry?

(Kerry)

3. Who has made public the jointly filed tax records to the public domain, Bush or Kerry?

(Bush)

4. Of Bush, Cheney, Kerry, and Edwards, who is the most wealthy and who collects the most annual income?

(Kerry)

5. Of Bush, Cheney, Kerry, and Edwards, who is the least wealthy and who collects the least annual income?

(Bush)

About the published book "Unfit for Command":

6. What specifically has Kerry pointed out as libel in the book?

(Unknown... nobody in the media points it out... anyone?)

7. Has any book in American history ever been pulled from the shelves based upon what is still only an unspecified allegation of libel?

(Not in my memory)

8. Well isn't that censorship?

(To be fair, not really. Border's doesn't have to sell it if they chose not to)

9. But then why is Joe Wilson's book is still on the shelves? It's made claims unfavorable against Bush, and they have been subsequently contradicted by his own sworn testimony under oath to Congress, with is just about as LEGALLY VALID as you can get in America. Why?

(Obviously there is some partisanship at play. It sure says something about Kerry and his connections with the media to me. I mean Fox news couldn't stop a freaking title from Al Franken and here a whole book is snuffed out to help Kerry win, without legal action or public scrutiny. And they call conservatives book banners? FUCK THEM. Anyone pissed besides me??)

The Internet Clip.

10. Is it legal for anyone to make the Swiftboat Veteran internet clip stop?

(Hell no.)

11. Is it legal for anyone to make the Swiftboat Veteran internet clip stop even if Kerry get's Bush to make it stop?

(Are you kidding?)

12. Is it legal for anyone to make the Swiftboat Veteran internet clip stop even is it's funding is found to violate campaign law.

(Not a chance. They can bust the perp with the illegal check, but the video plays on.)

13. Hey what about those cute kids working off Bush's deficit, along with multitudes of other ads up to where Bush=Nazi at Moveon.org? Why didn't that same rule of law and same medium violate the law?

(Because only Democrats are seeking legal action to supress media in our day and age. It's not because I'm a "Bush lover", either. The whole sordid thing is taking place right now, right here, in the public eye. And no one is kicking their ass for shutting it down without specific cause or legal authority.)

14. And where was the outrage from the media?

(Up Kerry's ass?)

MoveOn.org, The New York Post and Media's Double Standard

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0110-01.htm

No Backlash To The New York Post's Nazi Comparison

http://www.interventionmag.com/cms/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=608

:dunno:

i am personally very glad to see that distributors (among others) are condemning much of this 'story' as a FARBICATED LIE.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...6&u=/afp/20040822/pl_afp/us_vote_040822213524

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The highly-charged debate over John Kerry (news - web sites)'s record in the Vietnam War raged, after a veteran working to help re-elect incumbent president George W. Bush resigned, while the Democratic challenger lodged a formal complaint with election authorities.

Retired colonel Ken Cordier resigned from the Bush campaign late Saturday, after appearing in an advertisement released one day earlier by a group that is legally barred from coordinating its activities with the campaign.

"Colonel Cordier was a supporter of the president during the 2000 election and served as a member of the president's veterans' steering committee during this election," Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt said in a statement.

"Colonel Cordier did not inform the campaign of his involvement in the advertisement being run by a 527 organization. Because of his involvement with this 527, colonel Cordier will no longer participate as a volunteer," he said.

Cordier, a former POW, appeared in the television advertisement, sponsored by a group that calls itself "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth."

The group has accused Kerry of betraying US forces still in Vietnam by opposing the war after he returned home and of lying to get at least two of his five medals, including the Silver Star.

Kerry's campaign filed a complaint Friday with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC), alleging that the group had illegally coordinated its advertisements with the Bush team.

John O'Neill, a Vietnam veteran and vociferous Kerry critic behind the advertisements, called Cordier's link with the Bush campaign "tangential and ridiculous."

"The mere fact he happened to be on an advisory committee somewhere wouldn't mean we wouldn't use him on an ad," he told ABC television.

Newspaper reports have linked key Bush supporters to the financing of the ads, which the Swift Boat group has not denied.

Kerry's campaign announced a new advertisement Sunday, calling on Bush to abandon "smears" against the Democratic candidate.

"George Bush's campaign supports a front group attacking John Kerry's military record. Attacks called smears, lies," the ad says. "Denounce the smear. Get back to the issues. America deserves better."

The Swift Boat group's original ad began running August 5 on a relatively modest budget estimated at a few hundred thousand dollars. The ad aired only in three states, but was widely replayed in the national media on news programs.

A study released Friday by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania found that 57 percent of Americans knew of the ads and their message. And while Bush and Kerry remain neck-and-neck in polls, a CBS News poll released Thursday found that Bush has taken a 55-37 percent lead among veterans since the ads began airing.

But even members of Bush's Republican party have called into question the merits of the Vietnam debate.

Senator Pat Roberts of Kansas, while defending the group's right to make advertisements, said veterans he had spoken to would "like to put the swift-boat controversy into a dry dock and start talking about (veterans') health care, national security needs, our defense posture, you know, so on and so forth."

Kerry's efforts to refute the charges in the ads have been bolstered by new testimonials from fellow veterans, including a journalist at the Chicago Tribune who, like Kerry, commanded a Swift Boat during the war and the man who steered Kerry's boat during one incident in question.

The journalist, William Rood, wrote a first-person account of the February 28, 1969, mission in which Kerry won the Silver Star, saying "It's gotten harder and harder for those of us who were there to listen to accounts we know to be untrue, especially when they come from people who were not there."

Dell Sandusky, the man who piloted Kerry's boat on March 13, 1969, when he was credited with saving a man's life, largely backed Kerry's story in an interview with Newsweek magazine.

first the bush camp said they were in NO WAY related to these ads... but let me guess, that's NOT A LIE, NOW, EITHER?!

i never thought even bush would go so low as to challenging veterans that put time in overseas. meanwhile, he's here dodging the GUARD, getting DUIs and lines of coke! :wtf:??!!

this switf vet tactic is going to bite bush in the ass.

spillmind said:
i never thought even bush would go so low as to challenging veterans that put time in overseas. meanwhile, he's here dodging the GUARD, getting DUIs and lines of coke! :wtf:??!!

You seem to be confused. Its Kerry who is going so low as to challenge over 200+ veterans that put time in overseas. alot more time than he did. Its Kerry who accused his fellow soldiers of war crimes. Its Kerry who is trying to condemn these Veterans as liars and yet is unwilling to simply release his military record to verify his account. Its not that freakin hard.

For some reason it doesnt surprise me that you are for the attempted censorship of 200+ military veterans. After all they only count as veterans if they are Democrat.

I might also point out that if you have the opinion that books that are dishonest and complete lies should be taken off the shelf why dont you ask Bill and Hillary to take their books off.

spillmind said:
i am personally very glad to see that distributors (among others) are condemning much of this 'story' as a FARBICATED LIE.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...6&u=/afp/20040822/pl_afp/us_vote_040822213524

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The highly-charged debate over John Kerry (news - web sites)'s record in the Vietnam War raged, after a veteran working to help re-elect incumbent president George W. Bush resigned, while the Democratic challenger lodged a formal complaint with election authorities.

Retired colonel Ken Cordier resigned from the Bush campaign late Saturday, after appearing in an advertisement released one day earlier by a group that is legally barred from coordinating its activities with the campaign.

"Colonel Cordier was a supporter of the president during the 2000 election and served as a member of the president's veterans' steering committee during this election," Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt said in a statement.

"Colonel Cordier did not inform the campaign of his involvement in the advertisement being run by a 527 organization. Because of his involvement with this 527, colonel Cordier will no longer participate as a volunteer," he said.

Cordier, a former POW, appeared in the television advertisement, sponsored by a group that calls itself "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth."

The group has accused Kerry of betraying US forces still in Vietnam by opposing the war after he returned home and of lying to get at least two of his five medals, including the Silver Star.

Kerry's campaign filed a complaint Friday with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC), alleging that the group had illegally coordinated its advertisements with the Bush team.

John O'Neill, a Vietnam veteran and vociferous Kerry critic behind the advertisements, called Cordier's link with the Bush campaign "tangential and ridiculous."

"The mere fact he happened to be on an advisory committee somewhere wouldn't mean we wouldn't use him on an ad," he told ABC television.

Newspaper reports have linked key Bush supporters to the financing of the ads, which the Swift Boat group has not denied.

Kerry's campaign announced a new advertisement Sunday, calling on Bush to abandon "smears" against the Democratic candidate.

"George Bush's campaign supports a front group attacking John Kerry's military record. Attacks called smears, lies," the ad says. "Denounce the smear. Get back to the issues. America deserves better."

The Swift Boat group's original ad began running August 5 on a relatively modest budget estimated at a few hundred thousand dollars. The ad aired only in three states, but was widely replayed in the national media on news programs.

A study released Friday by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania found that 57 percent of Americans knew of the ads and their message. And while Bush and Kerry remain neck-and-neck in polls, a CBS News poll released Thursday found that Bush has taken a 55-37 percent lead among veterans since the ads began airing.

But even members of Bush's Republican party have called into question the merits of the Vietnam debate.

Senator Pat Roberts of Kansas, while defending the group's right to make advertisements, said veterans he had spoken to would "like to put the swift-boat controversy into a dry dock and start talking about (veterans') health care, national security needs, our defense posture, you know, so on and so forth."

Kerry's efforts to refute the charges in the ads have been bolstered by new testimonials from fellow veterans, including a journalist at the Chicago Tribune who, like Kerry, commanded a Swift Boat during the war and the man who steered Kerry's boat during one incident in question.

The journalist, William Rood, wrote a first-person account of the February 28, 1969, mission in which Kerry won the Silver Star, saying "It's gotten harder and harder for those of us who were there to listen to accounts we know to be untrue, especially when they come from people who were not there."

Dell Sandusky, the man who piloted Kerry's boat on March 13, 1969, when he was credited with saving a man's life, largely backed Kerry's story in an interview with Newsweek magazine.

first the bush camp said they were in NO WAY related to these ads... but let me guess, that's NOT A LIE, NOW, EITHER?!

Spilly, just read the yahoo. link. Cool. Anyone who participates in 527 activities is bared from volunterring on election. Go for it! :beer:

Kathianne said:
Spilly, just read the yahoo. link. Cool. Anyone who participates in 527 activities is bared from volunterring on election. Go for it! :beer:

That's about how I had it figured. Just like the rest of Spilly's post, it's empty noise, smoke and mirrors, deflections and misdirections. This is getting embarrasing.

Comrade said:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...04263-6518255?v=glance&n=507846&tag=ff0d01-20

And I suppose in that spirit of true fairness the Left loves to proclaim, they are going to do the right thing and pull Faranheit 711 out of theatres, and won't be selling it on DVD????????HMMMMMM

I have a question to ask all of you here. Do you like John McCain? I ask that because of all the politicians out there he is the one I respect the most, and I am a diehard Democrat. Do you even remember when he ran against Bush just for the Republican nomination? He was villified because of his military record as Kerry is now. Because of this I think republicans are some sick f*cks.

chagan said:
I have a question to ask all of you here. Do you like John McCain? I ask that because of all the politicians out there he is the one I respect the most, and I am a diehard Democrat. Do you even remember when he ran against Bush just for the Republican nomination? He was villified because of his military record as Kerry is now. Because of this I think republicans are some sick f*cks.

Sorry don't remember him being "villified because of his military record" Can you remind me with some links?

Ditto.

Nobody EVER questioned McCain's service. I think you are mistaken. If you have evidence stating otherwise, please post a link.

We are not like you and your liberal friends. We do not just believe anything negative that we hear or read. We like FACTS and supporting documentation. I know that is going to burst your bubble, but oh well.

Actually, I like McCain. I don't remember this vilification of his military record of which you speak. I do remember seeing the video of the carrier fire over and over again, though.

I like him, but sometimes his policies bug me (McCain-Feingold) and sometimes, I believe, that because of his experience in Vietnam, that he is too quick to give ALL vets a free pass. The benchmark of military service is honesty and integrity and therefore, I believe those traits are open to scrutiny when somebody is running on their military service.

Forum List

Back