Dirty Tricks in your neighborhood bookstore

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
I read an article recently in National Review concerning the lengths that some book clerks will go to in order to suppress sales of conservative books...

Some excerpts....

From the BordersUnion.org website (a site for Borders employees), a few posts....

We're "finding" [note those quotation marks] that most of the few copies we're getting are damaged and need to be sent back. So sad. Too bad, Bushies! Regnery needs to be more careful. I'm hearing from people at two other stores that this seems to be common.
Why should we help destroy what's left of our country?

You guys don't actually HAVE to sell the thing! Just "carelessly" hide the boxes, "accidentally" drop them off pallets, "forget" to stock the ones you have, and then suggest a nice Al Franken or Michael Moore book as a substitute. Borders wants those recommends [sic], remember?
I don't care if these Neanderthals in fancy suits get mad at me [fancy suits?]. They aren't regular customers anyway. Other than "Left Behind" books, they don't read. Anything you can do to make them feel unwelcome is only fair.

and another incident

In Littleton, Colo., a Borders clerk told a customer that the store manager had decided not to stock Unfit for Command — it was "not in the best interests of the store." (The manager was a Kerry supporter, the clerk allowed.) At a Barnes & Noble in Cherry Hill, N.J., a clerk told a customer that the publisher had "recalled" the book, owing to "errors." The customer doubted it and said so. The woman merely shrugged. Elsewhere, a clerk refused to give a customer the advertised discount. Why? "That book is full of lies."

and finally another

How low will they go, our friends the clerks? Well, one conservative was surprised that his mom got him a copy of "Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot" for Christmas. (That is an Al Franken book.) It turned out that Mom had gone to the store looking for the latest Limbaugh book, as her son adores him. And the clerk had explained to her that the Franken book was infinitely better, and would be more appreciated than the Limbaugh book — which was really bad. "So my mom, who was in her late 70s at the time and has never paid much attention to politics, got me Franken's book instead." Asks our reader, at the end of his letter, "Who would be so horrible as to take advantage of a little old lady buying a Christmas present for her son?"

They obviously feel threatened, otherwise, why would they do it? Anyway, there is always that thing called "ordering online" -- Karl

Internet sales of books will have a continued impact on bookstores in the market place. But it is going to take bookstores such as the ones in the article to realize their loss of marketshare. They will probably blame it on a bad economy or the brainwashed right wing radio listening demographic. :rolleyes:

Yes but they cherish freedom of speech sooo much. Gimme a break. They don't even know what the word "constitution" means let alone know the document that gave them the right to be a dickhead.

Forum List

Back