Bloomberg large soft drink ban

At Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s press conference touting his efforts to stop the sale of large soft drinks in restaurants, one reporter in attendance brought up the interesting fact that his administration also supporting “National Donut Day” Friday and inquired as to whether that muddled the mayor’s message on the issue.

Indeed, at 9:30 a.m. Friday morning, Entenmann’s will be unveiling “Custom-made Entenmann’s large donuts, 1-foot in diameter” at Madison Square Park at the same time they unveil a “Proclamation Letter by Mayor Michael Bloomberg.”
Worried About The Soda Ban? Fear Not, Bloomberg to Support ‘National Donut Day’ Friday [Video] | Politicker

National Doughnut Day is on the first Friday of June each year, the Doughnut Day event created by The Salvation Army in 1938 to honor the women who served doughnuts to soldiers during World War I.

Believe it or not ravi, we have a God given right to do many things you or I might not agree with. It's called liberty.

If government bureaucrats can ban the types of fast food outlets available, manipulate the size and types of drinks we can consume, and regulate every aspect of food preparation, what couldn’t they attempt to ban? Some studies have suggested that red meat is “unhealthy.” Will Bloomberg next propose a measure limiting red meat intake to one steak per month? Will the nanny state do-gooders ban hot dogs, or force Americans to take part in government exercise programs like those promoted by the first lady?

PJ Media » Gulp: Bloomberg’s Stunning Nanny State Overreach

There is a moral superiority amongst health nuts that is borderline fanatic. I can handle jerks. I wouldn't propose a ban. But we can't give them too much power. Many (if not most) of the people who work or visit Manhattan are not permitted to vote for mayor. He still works for them too.

In fact, a new study published this week in the journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science, has found that organic food may just make people act a bit like jerks.

"There's a line of research showing that when people can pat themselves on the back for their moral behavior, they can become self-righteous," says author Kendall Eskine, assistant professor of the department of psychological sciences at Loyola University in New Orleans.

TODAY Health - Diet, Fitness and Wellness Blog | TODAY.com Blogs - Does organic food turn people into jerks?

Maybe Bloomberg ought to BAN LIMOS, too.

WE don't want our MASTERS to get to fat for a lack of exercise.

Let them rub elbows with their sheeple down in the subways.

If we did that we'd see a some serious quaity upgrades in public transit, I suspect.

You got that right. Bloomie is obsessed. NY has far bigger problems than large sodas.

Cape May is tossing around the idea of an outdoor smoking ban. They just spent a small fortune on a tourism study and smoking on the beach didn't even make the list. Imagine that? People don't care! And politicians are paid to address MAJOR issues that the people do care about. We cannot legislate every annoyance. Good grief.

No big deal.

If you're still thirsty after one 16 oz soda, just go back for a 2nd.

Last edited:
I give Mayor Bloomberg full marks for displaying either courage or cowardice and not imposing similar restrictions on beer.

Last edited:
Beer is next. NY's health nazis want to do away with happy hour.

What about coffee? Will the thousands of Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts have to throw out their large cups?

How sad. He's taken away our God given right to become obese.

I know you're just being snotty ole Ravi the Raving Lunatic, but you actually helped prove how stupid these kinds of Big Brother absurdities really are. I know it was unintentional, but there may be hope for you yet. ;)

No big deal.

You miss the point entirely. Doomberg is stepping on liberty, PERIOD.

An outright ban on soda would be stepping on liberty.

Limiting the size of the cups it can be sold in is just an inconvenience.

Inconvenience Gracie? It's NONE of thier business wherether I wish a tankerload of soda if I can pay for it, or just enough to quench my thirst.

*FAIL*

Inconvenience Gracie? It's NONE of thier business wherether I wish a tankerload of soda if I can pay for it, or just enough to quench my thirst.

*FAIL*

Nobody's stopping you from getting a tankerload of soda, you just have to do it in more trips.

Like I said, an inconvenience.

And a failure once again on your part.

The trash problem will be more than an inconvenience. The lost revenue to the merchants will be more than an inconvenience. And the issue itself "social engineering" is far more than sn "inconvenience".

No big deal.

Where do you get this distinction from? Certainly not a federal or state Constitutional distinction. A governor has now cast himself as a parent of the people. I am certain voters did not think they were electing a parent to run the city- They did not realize they were electing Papa Bloomberg instead of Governor Bloomberg.

This is San Francisco style stupidity- You can kill your unborn babies- but can't buy a 20oz pop or purchase a pet- Stupid idiocy.

*FAIL*

Nobody's stopping you from getting a tankerload of soda, you just have to do it in more trips.

Like I said, an inconvenience.

And a failure once again on your part.

Why because some asshole in his ivory tower says I must?

*FAIL AGAIN*

This issue is telling with regard to the hypocrisy of the right.

On this very forum, for example, post after post, rightists whine and bemoan the ‘excess’ and ‘overreach’ of the Federal government and its failure to respect the wishes of local communities, that jurisdictions should be allowed to enact laws and policies that reflect their local values.

It would seem conservatives don’t believe in affording that privilege to the people of New York; local communities should be allowed to enact laws and policies only when ‘conservative values’ are at issue.

I haven't seen anyone say they couldn't do this just that it is stupid personally I don't want any part of the government federal, state, or local telling me how big of a drink I can buy. I might add you simply buy two smaller drinks to make the big one.

Forum List

Back