Blockbuster files for Chap. 11

I'm sure you know the Austrian position on anti-trust laws. There are no monopolies on the private market, only governments create real monopolies. Which means that anti-trust laws are simply there to give government another level of control over private businesses and stifle the free market. If Blockbuster and Hollywood Video believed the merger was in their best interests then that should have been all that was necessary for that merger to happen.

Corporations cannot be trusted to do the right thing....

I'm sure you know the Austrian position on anti-trust laws. There are no monopolies on the private market, only governments create real monopolies. Which means that anti-trust laws are simply there to give government another level of control over private businesses and stifle the free market. If Blockbuster and Hollywood Video believed the merger was in their best interests then that should have been all that was necessary for that merger to happen.

Unlike governments, however, they have the incentives to do the right thing.

I like Blockbuster. I have the best of both worlds with them! I order a movie through their mail service - they ship it out and I get it a day or so later. After I am done watching it I put it in the return envelope and return it to the store, which is in walking distance. I pick out a new movie at the store and can watch it immediately - no waiting for the USPS. Then when I return the movie to the store - they mail me out the next movie in my queue. It works great - I select classic movies on-line and pick out new releases at the store. I get two at a time so I always have a new movie to watch at any time.

Right now I have Quo Vadis from the mail and "Kick Ass" from the store. I will watch "Kick ass" tonight, return it to the store early tomorrow on the way to work. Then I'll watch Quo Vadis on Friday night. If I want to watch a movie Saturday I will probably have a new one in the mail - but it doesn't matter because I can exchange at the store. Same price as Netflix - only better.

I thought newer TVs did show 3d and that overcapacity all along the supply chain were causing rapidly dropping prices even for supersized TV, did I get the wrong word?

They can be trusted, in most cases to do the profitable thing. Which is of course their JOB!

besides that wasn't an insult, you were being intentionally obtuse. Which makes acknowledging it more like flattery.

it was. You were being intentionally obtuse.

You've said that three times. Does that make it true now?

it was true the first time:

This industry will continue to decline.

I don't see the industry of video rental as in decline at all. You've got Redbox and Netflix for physical video rentals, and OnDemand services as well.

He wasn't talking about the video rental business being in decline, he was referring to location based video rental. It was blatantly obvious.

it was. You were being intentionally obtuse.

You've said that three times. Does that make it true now?

it was true the first time:

This industry will continue to decline.

I don't see the industry of video rental as in decline at all. You've got Redbox and Netflix for physical video rentals, and OnDemand services as well.

He wasn't talking about the video rental business being in decline, he was referring to location based video rental. It was blatantly obvious.

If it had been blatantly obvious I wouldn't have replied.

Unlike governments, however, they have the incentives to do the right thing.

So do govts. It's called the ballot box....

Forum List

Back