Biometric gun trigger locks...a middle ground solution?

Keep in mind, I am just thinking out loud here, as I do not know what the answer is. The question may become is it cheaper to outlaw the guns than to enforce a biometric trigger law.

Outlawing a right specifically granted by our constitution is not an option so why not focus on what can be achieved?

That's what Amendments are for....

It would never pass. I prefer to deal with realistic solutions.

Keep in mind, I am just thinking out loud here, as I do not know what the answer is. The question may become is it cheaper to outlaw the guns than to enforce a biometric trigger law.

Outlawing a right specifically granted by our constitution is not an option so why not focus on what can be achieved?

Whatch it... The idiots will come up with a new tax or special permit to solve the issue. Because we all know taxes will fix everything.

I think my funding idea would be more than sufficient

Along with stricter restrictions on the mentally unstables ability to purchase firearms?

Thoughts?

Biometric Trigger Lock ? The Next Generation In Gun Safety

That's one option for a compromise.

But, compromise is a dirty word to extremist's on both sides. Unless, and until, the more rational people quit letting the loonies control the debate, all we'll get is more absolutism, more either/or worse case scenarios and nothing will get done but more shouting.

An interesting concept. I wonder how gun enthusiasts would feel about it though.

If a criminal steals a gun, a lock is only a temporary barrier to its use. All locks can be defeated with a few basic tools. A regulation like this would only add to the legal cost of owning a weapon and would have very little effect on safety. Education would be more effective to protect children than any lock.

An interesting concept. I wonder how gun enthusiasts would feel about it though.

If a criminal steals a gun, a lock is only a temporary barrier to its use. All locks can be defeated with a few basic tools. A regulation like this would only add to the legal cost of owning a weapon and would have very little effect on safety. Education would be more effective to protect children than any lock.

Can't biometris be included in the guns internal mechanisms so that it can not be simply bypassed by someone who isn't a gun maker? It should be internal not simply an add on lock.

It will be easy to find excuses NOT to try.

We could cut our aid to foreign countries by a small percentage to pay for a one time retrofit program. Anyone who doesn't utilize that opportunity would then have to pay themselves.

A means to the end can be found. Its just a matter of willingness.

I think you are missing the point. The purpose of gun ownership is to make an ostentatious display of stunning irresponsibility. A few folks actually hunt, engage in competitive shooting sports, or need a firearm in their occupation. A couple may actually have a good case based on personal safety. But the overwhelming majority want guns so they can kill people that irritate them, commit violent crimes, prepare to overthrow the government of the United States, or generally just bully and intimidate people.

I know lots of responsible gun owners and guess what? None of them are running around defending vigilantes, supporting guns for crazies, or supporting manufacturers of defective firearms. They also don't have dead children because they were too worried about losing two seconds before shooting someone and leaving guns unsecured in houses with small children.

Guns are all about macho for most folks, everything else is bullshit. Watch what they do, not what they say. Crazy is as crazy does.

It will be easy to find excuses NOT to try.

We could cut our aid to foreign countries by a small percentage to pay for a one time retrofit program. Anyone who doesn't utilize that opportunity would then have to pay themselves.

A means to the end can be found. Its just a matter of willingness.

I think you are missing the point. The purpose of gun ownership is to make an ostentatious display of stunning irresponsibility. A few folks actually hunt, engage in competitive shooting sports, or need a firearm in their occupation. A couple may actually have a good case based on personal safety. But the overwhelming majority want guns so they can kill people that irritate them, commit violent crimes, prepare to overthrow the government of the United States, or generally just bully and intimidate people.

I know lots of responsible gun owners and guess what? None of them are running around defending vigilantes, supporting guns for crazies, or supporting manufacturers of defective firearms. They also don't have dead children because they were too worried about losing two seconds before shooting someone and leaving guns unsecured in houses with small children.

Guns are all about macho for most folks, everything else is bullshit. Watch what they do, not what they say. Crazy is as crazy does.

There are so many strawmen and distorted facts in this post that I do not know where to begin.

The idea of owning a gun for self protection is based on the concept of it is better to have it and never use it as opposed to needing it and not having it.

Also, guns are the exact opposite of "macho" in the sense that they are a truly equalizing force. Guns ignore strength and size, and require a skill set that anyone can learn. They are also truly gender liberating, as they remove the biological advantage men have due to thier size and strength in a violent situation.

we were discussing this earlier...a thumbprint lock that wouldnt allow anyone but the thumb print owner to remover the safety.....cost? to save a child's life? look if you can afford a bushmaster you can afford the extra cost of the lock

and if those two extra seconds cost the gun owner thier life?

Ah, casualty of liberal busybodyness.

From the link. Seems faster than what exists today.

Benefit #2 – Fast and Easy to Use – Another benefit of the fingerprint gun lock is that it is fast and easy to use. Simply apply your fingerprint and the lock will open. A gun lock that opens quickly and easily is important, especially in an emergency situation where you need to access your gun quickly.

we were discussing this earlier...a thumbprint lock that wouldnt allow anyone but the thumb print owner to remover the safety.....cost? to save a child's life? look if you can afford a bushmaster you can afford the extra cost of the lock

and if those two extra seconds cost the gun owner thier life?

Ah, casualty of liberal busybodyness.

Booo! (my new version of a "no thanks button")

Along with stricter restrictions on the mentally unstables ability to purchase firearms?

Thoughts?

I have a biometric reader on my computer. I love the thing, most of the time, occasionally I have to reboot the computer because of a glitch on the sensor or the software. It isn't that big a deal, mostly because I never use my computer in a life and death situation, and I can always use the password if I don't want to reboot.

How long does it take to reboot a gun? Does anyone really want to trust their life to a computer that could hiccup at the most inconvenient time?

Thoughts?

I have a biometric reader on my computer. I love the thing, most of the time, occasionally I have to reboot the computer because of a glitch on the sensor or the software. It isn't that big a deal, mostly because I never use my computer in a life and death situation, and I can always use the password if I don't want to reboot.

How long does it take to reboot a gun? Does anyone really want to trust their life to a computer that could hiccup at the most inconvenient time?

Would the risk of that be any higher than the risk of your gun jamming or simply misfiring?

Also just curious...why in the world do you have biometrics on your computer?

Pros:

Render stolen guns useless
Possibly prevent scenarios like Newtown
Keeps children from accidentally firing weapons

Cons:
Minor cost to gun owner or taxpayer depending on retrofit funding requirements
Possible glitch?
1 or 2 second delay to fire weapon
Epidemic of cut off thumbs?

The article doesn't say anything about being able to change the biometric lock if you sell the gun, or inherit it from someone who passes away. Is it possible to do so, or do you have to trash the gun? And if it is possible to change the thumbprint, what's to stop a thief from having it changed?

The article doesn't say anything about being able to change the biometric lock if you sell the gun, or inherit it from someone who passes away. Is it possible to do so, or do you have to trash the gun? And if it is possible to change the thumbprint, what's to stop a thief from having it changed?

I would imagine reprogramming could be done by trained dealers. No one would buy a product that would render that product worthless dollar wise.

New Jersey Institute of Technology

A current prototype personalized gun relies onbiometric*sensors in the grip and*trigger*that can track a gun owner’s hand size, strength, and Dynamic grip style also known as (DGR) Dynamic Grip Recognition. The gun is programmed to recognize only the owner or anyone whom the owner wishes to authorize. One of the major projects involves the*New Jersey Institute of Technology*team, which claims the prototype identifies gun owners with 90% accuracy.The smart gun is supposed to:Reduce the likelihood of unintentional injuries tochildrenPreventing teenage*suicides*and*homicides.Limit the violent acts committed by criminals using stolen guns.Protect law enforcement officers from criminals grabbing their firearms during a struggle.If chip failure occurs one of two things can happen:For Civilian use, the gun will be set to not fire.For Law enforcement use, the safety system will be bypassed, and the gun will be allowed to fire.

Smart Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back