Biological tooth replacement - a step closer

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Research towards achieving the aim of producing bioengineered teeth (bioteeth) has largely focused on the generation of immature teeth (teeth primordia) that mimic those in the embryo that can be transplanted as small cell 'pellets' into the adult jaw to develop into functional teeth. Remarkably, despite the very different environments, embryonic teeth primordia can develop normally in the adult mouth and thus if suitable cells can be identified that can be combined in such a way to produce an immature tooth, there is a realistic prospect bioteeth can become a clinical reality.

King s College London - Biological tooth replacement - a step closer

I can't wait for bioteeth, I just hope it happens in my lifetime.

This article is from King's College London, which is one of the world's leading research and teaching universities.

Last edited:
People may in future be able to have missing or diseased teeth replaced with ones grown from cells taken from their own mouth, scientists have predicted.

Hybrid teeth created by combining human gum cells and stem cells from mouse teeth have been grown in laboratory mice by researchers who hope the work could lead to dentures being superseded by new teeth grown on a patient's jaw.

The mixture of mouse and human cells was transplanted into adult mouse kidneys and grew into recognisable tooth structures coated in enamel with viable developing roots, according to a study published in the Journal Of Dental Research.

Tooth replacement in prospect after scientists grow teeth from mouse cells Science The Guardian

Nothing wrong with implants, but if you had the option of bioteeth, which would you choose?

Forum List

Back