Bin Laden 'surrounded'

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by jimnyc, Feb 21, 2004.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I'll repeat what I said once before, if Bin Laden is captured or killed then Kerry might as well drop out right then and there. Politics aside, I just hope they catch this scumbag.

A BRITISH Sunday newspaper is claiming Osama bin Laden has been found and is surrounded by US special forces in an area of land bordering north-west Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The Sunday Express, known for its sometimes colourful scoops, claims the al-Qaeda leader has been "sighted" for the first time since 2001 and is being monitored by satellite.

The paper claims he is in a mountainous area to the north of the Pakistani city of Quetta. The region is said to be peopled with bin Laden supporters and the terrorist leader is estimated to also have 50 of his fanatical bodyguards with him.

The claim is attributed to "a well-placed intelligence source" in Washington, who is quoted as saying: "He (bin Laden) is boxed in."

The paper says the hostile terrain makes an all-out conventional military assault impossible. The plan to capture him would depend on a "grab-him-and-go" style operation.

"US helicopters already sited on the Afghanistan border will swoop in to extricate him," the newspaper says. It claims bin Laden and his men "sleep in caves or out in the open. The area is swept by fierce snow storms howling down from the 10,000ft-high mountain peaks. Donkeys are the only transport."

The special forces are "absolutely confident" there is no escape for bin Laden, and are awaiting the order to go in and get him.

http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,9353,8752173-28778,00.html

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I would like to see this be so true, has our intelligence gotten better since the WMD issue though?

3. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I believe they'll go in if he's suspected to be somewhere regardless. I'm just not getting my hopes up. You did read this line:

The Sunday Express, known for its sometimes colourful scoops

Could just be another bogus article but I thought I would pass it by here anyway. Let's cross our fingers.

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    crossing em. :tank: :thup:

5. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'm doubting the validity of these claims. I've heard this same thing recently somewhere else, and I just don't believe it's something that would make the news before we acted. I would think they'd take steps to avoid release of information of this nature, as, if true, it would serve to assist UBL in any sort or preparations he might take or escape he might make. Further, I think if true we would act immeadiately, not sit around and release info to the press about it.

At any rate, unlike Saddam, I doubt we'll get UBL alive. But eventually we will.

6. kcmcdonald

kcmcdonald Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh man if this is true and we get this son of a bitch. Oh man, I would go running down the streets and dance.
    Kepping my fingers crossed

7. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dead,alive...in pieces...as long as OBL no longer walks amoung free men....I do hope this is true.....May be G.W. ought to wait till closer to the election day:D

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    thats my opinion Jon. i think they know where he is, they are jsut waiting for the correct time.

9. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    And what a wonderful strategy it would be !! ;)

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    IF, and only if, the capture of OBL is being held back for political advantage for GW and if that secret ever gets out it would mean ruin for alot of republicans. There are way too many independent voters getting real fed up with the BS in politics.

otherwise, I think the capture of OBL would be a great thing. It should be the one execution that should be made pulicly available on TV.