"bin laden got the justice he deserved"

i'm wondering if president bush had made the decision to execute bin laden (and an execution is when an unarmed political leader is shot in the head) on the spot, if it would be as well received by the liberal left ??

:eusa_eh:
Hell yeah, if Bush officials had given the OK for reinforcements at Tora Bora and taken out Bin Laden in 2002, Al Qaeda probably wouldn't have survived it.. Now they will probably move on like nothing ever happened. I would've been the first one in the streets chanting "USA" if Bush had gotten Bin Laden, but in reality, Osama didn't really "keep him up at night".

i'm wondering if president bush had made the decision to execute bin laden (and an execution is when an unarmed political leader is shot in the head) on the spot, if it would be as well received by the liberal left ??

Political leader? :lol::lol::lol:

idiot.

gee, c g, just when i thought we we're getting along so well. should i have said theocratic adjunct ? how do you think the forged/altered second birth certificate will play into all of this ??

i was wondering if the decision to administer swift justice and subsequent execution, fits in with the ethics of the liberal america.

You're a god damn idiot. There's just no other way to say it.

it's a disucussion forum, i'm playing devil's advocate. you're going to miss the opportunity to call me a racist ??

how about "well obama has turned out to be one of the greatest leaders in world history. he really inspires trust and confidence, and i cannot wait to go to every political event he stages. what a courageous man. this nobel prize winning hero is gifted in every way.

if only the election were today, so i could vote for him. i only wish he could be appointed president for life, just like the supreme court. his strongest background and his wealth of knowledge and aura of omnipotence, have truly helped us to turn the corner, to make this country great once again. there is only obama !! praise the lord. for before obama, walks the arc of the covenant, and the everlasting beauty of liberal truth. every speech he makes, is the greatest since the great depression.

better ??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lue6_3EtXc]YouTube - obama's metropolis 0001[/ame]mission accomplished ??

Last edited:
i was wondering if the decision to administer swift justice and subsequent execution, fits in with the ethics of the liberal america.

It was not justice, it was justifiable homicide. That apparently sits very well in liberal ethics if the guy who orders it won a Nobel Peace Prize.

Bin Laden was a fugitive on the run. His operations have killed thousands. When our brave American warriors went to get him, their cause was just and their aim was sure. They met with resistance that they quickly dispatched.

Bin Laden was a coward that died the death of a coward. Any chatter to the contrary is specious and unworthy of consideration.

Would you be saying the same thing if Bush had ordered his death?

It doesn't fit in with my personal ethics - and I'm a card carrying liberal.

Funny how "justice" always seems to equate with punishment in the eyes of so many of our friends from the Right.

Don't get me wrong - we should have brought the bastard out alive, tried him and then either executed him or put him away for life. Frankly, I would have preferred the latter, because life is a much harsher punishment than execution, in my opinion.

It is always nice to see intellectual honesty when it shows up. We could use it a lot more often from both sides of the aisle.

Excellent comment. We would have been all over Bush like white on rice - that's what would have happened. And I think President Obama was flat wrong if he did in fact authorize the killing of Bin Laden, whether or not he was resisting - and it sure looks like that is what he did.

I owe you some rep for this.

Obama made the right call. Go in, kill him, make sure it's him, get out. I'm not giving him credit for actually pulling off the mission. But he does get credit for the way he approached the situation.

The libs show time and time again that they will support anything a liberal radical president does. The old anti-war rhetoric and so-called human rights considerations go out the window when a left wing president makes a decision.

Stop wondering…and yet again:

A more thorough explanation of the legal basis was given last year by Harold Hongju Koh, legal adviser at the US state department. He told a meeting of the American Society of International Law: "Some have argued that the use of lethal force against specific individuals fails to provide adequate process and thus constitutes unlawful extrajudicial killing. But a state that is engaged in an armed conflict or in legitimate self-defence is not required to provide targets with legal process before the state may use lethal force.

"The principles of distinction and proportionality that the US applies are …implemented rigorously throughout the planning and execution of lethal operations to ensure that such operations are conducted in accordance with all applicable law."

He added: "Some have argued that our targeting practices violate domestic law, in particular, the longstanding domestic ban on assassinations. But under domestic law, the use of lawful weapons systems - consistent with the applicable laws of war - for precision targeting of specific high-level belligerent leaders when acting in self-defence or during an armed conflict is not unlawful, and hence does not constitute 'assassination'."

Osama bin Laden: US responds to questions about killing's legality | World news | The Guardian

This has noting to do with ‘liberal’ or ‘conservative,’ the operation was lawful, regardless who was president. .

The libs show time and time again that they will support anything a liberal radical president does. The old anti-war rhetoric and so-called human rights considerations go out the window when a left wing president makes a decision.

I have repeatedly said that i did not, and do not, support President Obama's decision to take Bin Laden out.

So take your broad brush and stick it where the sun never shines. ;)

Stop wondering…and yet again:

A more thorough explanation of the legal basis was given last year by Harold Hongju Koh, legal adviser at the US state department. He told a meeting of the American Society of International Law: "Some have argued that the use of lethal force against specific individuals fails to provide adequate process and thus constitutes unlawful extrajudicial killing. But a state that is engaged in an armed conflict or in legitimate self-defence is not required to provide targets with legal process before the state may use lethal force.

"The principles of distinction and proportionality that the US applies are …implemented rigorously throughout the planning and execution of lethal operations to ensure that such operations are conducted in accordance with all applicable law."

He added: "Some have argued that our targeting practices violate domestic law, in particular, the longstanding domestic ban on assassinations. But under domestic law, the use of lawful weapons systems - consistent with the applicable laws of war - for precision targeting of specific high-level belligerent leaders when acting in self-defence or during an armed conflict is not unlawful, and hence does not constitute 'assassination'."

Osama bin Laden: US responds to questions about killing's legality | World news | The Guardian

This has noting to do with ‘liberal’ or ‘conservative,’ the operation was lawful, regardless who was president. .

Not everything that is "lawful" is necessarily in keeping with morality or even with our established, national policies.

If "liberal America" believes that "justice" equates with murdering someone without due process of law, then yes, I suppose it does. However, from what I know of "liberal America," such process would not comport with liberal thinking. Most of the liberals I know would be solidly opposed to doing something like that, regardless of how evil the person involved was.

My experience has been that equating justice with murdering someone without due process of law is a thought process harbored by many conservatives, not liberals.

So I guess my answer to your question here would have to be no, what our couintry did to Bin Laden would not fit in with the ethics of liberal America. Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because Obama did it, that means it is solidly supported by liberal America. He does quite a few things that liberals do not agree with.

Last edited:
This point also begs the question on how liberals are against waterboarding, but somehow support executions. Does this mean that if the interrogee is actually drowned at the end of the interrogation, they would be in support of the process?

Amazing how you purport to be able to speak for us liberals. As a liberal, I am opposed to both water boarding and executions. FYI - I think that quite a few liberals disagree with President Obama's taking out of Bin Laden.

Oh - and next time you try to use the phrase, "begs the question," I would suggest you use it properly. You have not done so here. "Begs the question" does not mean that a situaion calls for a question.

Begging the question is a logical fallacy where the conclusion assumes the validity of the premise and, therefore, the question posed in the premise is never answered, hence, the response "begs the question." Example: "The belief in God is universal. After all, everybody believes in God."

Was the decision Obama's or the SEAL that did the deed? You know, with those guys you only get one chance to surrender. If OBL didn't, it was HIS decision to die.

Forum List

Back