Bill would require all SD citizens to buy a gun

Did anyone even bother to read the article? You all are as dopey as those leaving comments at the link. :rolleyes:

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

They don't want to require anyone to buy anything and they know it will never pass. They are making a point about the unconstitutionality of the hc mandate. If this gun mandate is ridiculous and out of reach then so is the hc mandate.
Is it any more ridiculous than the mandate requiring vaccinations for school or travel????
If a vaccination can be mandated, why not HC????

You can opt out of 'mandated vaccinations'. Can you opt out of health care?

Did anyone even bother to read the article? You all are as dopey as those leaving comments at the link. :rolleyes:

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

They don't want to require anyone to buy anything and they know it will never pass. They are making a point about the unconstitutionality of the hc mandate. If this gun mandate is ridiculous and out of reach then so is the hc mandate.
Is it any more ridiculous than the mandate requiring vaccinations for school or travel????

Has the federal government mandated vaccines?

I honestly don't know, but it sure makes all the difference regarding the point you're trying to make.

Not if you want to send your children to school or if you want to travel abroad. Without a vaccination the government has the power to limit your freedom!!! So there is a "price" to pay if you don't obey the mandate. How is the HC mandate any different from a vaccination mandate?

Last edited:

I honestly don't know, but it sure makes all the difference regarding the point you're trying to make.

Not sure if it was federal off the top of my head. But in school I got all sorts of vaccines.

It is a GOVERNMENT mandate in all 50 states that has not been declared unconstitutional.

If you are right, then there's no need for anyone to get a warrant to tap your phone.

You're right -- it -protects- the right of the individual citizen, regardless of his relationship to or with any militia, to own and use guns, for any legal purpose.

It says "arms".
There's absolutely no sound argument that this term does not include every class of firearm.

First off..I showed you where you were wrong. The second amendment makes no provision for "persons", the fourth does.

Second off, initially defense was to be handled by Militias and a permanent navy. The Constitution expresses that in several clauses. However, after disbanding the Continetal Army, the government found that solution to be un-workable, hence, a standing permanent army was created. Which, is not Constitutional.

Third, the government makes many forms of arms, illegal. I showed in another thread where Nunchucks are banned. So are switchblades, blackjacks, brass knuckles and a host of other "arms". There are no lobbyists for those weapons..and a big one for guns. That's what drives this irrational and completely Unconstitutional drive to keep guns in the hands of citizens..to the determent of the country.

US Vs. Miller 1934 "Sawed Off Shotguns as a class can be outlawed BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO FORSEEABLE MILITARY PURPOSE"

Which supports my point of view..rather nicely.

Thanks.:clap2:

Not if you want to send your children to school or if you want to travel abroad. Without a vaccination the government has the power to limit your freedom!!! So there is a "price" to pay if you don't obey the mandate. How is the HC mandate any different from a vaccination mandate?
The vaccination 'mandate' is from the state, not the federal government.

First off..I showed you where you were wrong. The second amendment makes no provision for "persons", the fourth does.

Second off, initially defense was to be handled by Militias and a permanent navy. The Constitution expresses that in several clauses. However, after disbanding the Continetal Army, the government found that solution to be un-workable, hence, a standing permanent army was created. Which, is not Constitutional.

Third, the government makes many forms of arms, illegal. I showed in another thread where Nunchucks are banned. So are switchblades, blackjacks, brass knuckles and a host of other "arms". There are no lobbyists for those weapons..and a big one for guns. That's what drives this irrational and completely Unconstitutional drive to keep guns in the hands of citizens..to the determent of the country.

US Vs. Miller 1934 "Sawed Off Shotguns as a class can be outlawed BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO FORSEEABLE MILITARY PURPOSE"

Except that, as previously noted, he's wrong.

Bullshit. My youngest hasn't had any vaccinations since she was five. She's 14 tomorrow and in the eighth grade, public school.

Any more shit you want to spew?

You don't want to get vaccinations and uncle says you can't travel. Peachy. Do they fine you for not getting those vaccinations?

Again . . . can you opt out of the health care mandate?

Last edited:

It is a GOVERNMENT mandate in all 50 states that has not been declared unconstitutional.

So no then, the federal government has never imposed mandated vaccines.

Therefore your comparison is invalid and your point is moot.

Better luck next time :thup:

You're welcome,
manifold

PS: If you can get all 50 states to pass Obamacare you'll have yourself a winner :thup:

That seems like a distinction without a difference, it is still a GOVERNMENT mandate that is not unconstitutional and can carry a penalty for noncompliance.

If you are right, then there's no need for anyone to get a warrant to tap your phone.

You're right -- it -protects- the right of the individual citizen, regardless of his relationship to or with any militia, to own and use guns, for any legal purpose.

It says "arms".
There's absolutely no sound argument that this term does not include every class of firearm.
Irrelevant. Both rights belong to "The People".
According to you, "The people" denotes a collective right that cannot be exercized by an individual outside that collective.

If you are right, then there's no need for anyone to get a warrant to tap your phone, as the right of the people is collective, not individual.

Utterly irrelevant to anything I said.

Utterly irrelevant to anything I said.

Thus, as you have yet to address what I what I -did- say, what I -did- say stands:

-The 2nd protects the right of the individual citizen, regardless of his relationship to or with any militia, to own and use guns, for any legal purpose.
-There's absolutely no sound argument that the term "arms" as used in the 2nd does not include every class of firearm.

Just because you call an argument "irrelevant" doesn't make it so.

The right to arms..is a collective one meant to the protection of the nation by the citizen soldier. The word "Militia" appears all over the Constitution. That was the beginning and end of the "right". You have the right to own arms to defend the nation. If you are not defending the nation..there is no such right.

Pure and simple.

You are engaging in all sorts of gymnastics to twist it.

I've buttressed my argument with the Constitution..and your very own rebuttals.

That seems like a distinction without a difference, it is still a GOVERNMENT mandate that is not unconstitutional and can carry a penalty for noncompliance.

Ignorance of the US Constitution is not a particularly compelling argument.

The distinction makes all the difference sparky. :thup:

Incorrect.
The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

All this means is that no one illustrated to the court that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia.

Anyone who has seen even the slightest bit of combat, personally or through the media from WW1 to today, knows that the shotgun, with a barrel less than18", is well-represented in military use.

Here is the ruling and while you are technically correct the meaning is what it is. The trench broom (1897 Winchester) of WWI is a 20" barreled weapon with a bayonet lug. Sub 18" weapons still are not used in the military. All shotguns used by the military are 18" and above. The only users of sub 18" weapons are SWAT teams and very rarely a special forces military unit.

FindLaw | Cases and Codes

Bullshit, there is no penalty for not getting your kids those 'mandated vaccinations'. I've already stated as such; my youngest is proof of such.

Last edited:

Actually not true but nice try. They were referring to the militia (which is made up of the body of the people, in other words the citizens) and more importantly the decision specifies that hunting weapons AREN'T protected...military weapons are. Make's all those anti assault wepons null and void due to case law alone.

Its not. The state has the power to mandate such a thing, whereas the federal government does not.

Long and short of it is that if you ssupport The Obama's insurance mandate, then you have no argument against your state requiring you to buy a gun.

Bullshit. My youngest hasn't had any vaccinations since she was five. She's 14 tomorrow and in the eighth grade, public school.

Any more shit you want to spew?

You don't want to get vaccinations and uncle says you can't travel. Peachy. Do they fine you for not getting those vaccinations?

Again . . . can you opt out of the health care mandate?
Obviously she had her vaccinations up to 5 years old as ALL states require them to attend public school, either that or you are breaking the law.

Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Laws/State Requirements

They deny you a Visa.

Forum List

Back