Bill would require all SD citizens to buy a gun

So its a good thing it turned out to be Constitutional to require people to buy into healthcare....

Wait a minute....

I understand that this is difficult for some of you on the left to understand. But States have much broader power than the Federal Government.

You see the Federal Government is a government of limited jurisdiction. It can only act in areas where they are given explicit power. Mandating anyone purchase something is not within their powers.

A state government, on the other hand, is given extremely broad powers. Any power not given to the Federal Government is reserved for the States. Thus, unless their state constitution prohibits requiring people to purchase something, the state can pass such a law according to the desires of the people.

Personally, I think requiring anyone to buy something is wrong, regardless of what level of government is requiring it. But simply because I think it's wrong doesn't mean it's unconstitutional.

It's clearly unconstitutional at the Federal Level. I'm not familiar with South Dakota's Constitution, but if they have nothing prohibitting it, then it's clearly constitutional even if it's stupid.

I thought the Federal Government DID have explicit authority in the area of Defense? That's what you idiots jabber about constantly. Requiring everyone to buy a gun for defense is perfectly in keeping with your Constitution.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but this bill is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.

How would it be a violation of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution for the State of South Dakota to require all citizens to purchase a firearm?

All in all though I am not in favour of ANY law where the government REQUIRES you to buy anything...it's none of their damned business.

I quite agree. However, that said, the state governments clearly have power to do this unless otherwise excluded by their state constitution.

The problem is that mandating people own guns at a state level would not pose a problem for constitutionality.

States are not allowed to violate the Bill of Rights any more than the federal government.

Geesh! You really should know that!

Rightwingers can force you to buy a gun

But you can't force them to buy Health Insurance? What happens when you get shot?

This isn't an issue of left versus right.

This is an issue of state versus Federal. Something you clearly know nothing about.

The problem is that mandating people own guns at a state level would not pose a problem for constitutionality.

States are not allowed to violate the Bill of Rights any more than the federal government.

There is nothing in the Bill of Rights that would make said bill unconstitutional, excluding the 10th amendment which, of course, wouldn't apply to the states.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but this bill is a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.

How would it be a violation of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution for the State of South Dakota to require all citizens to purchase a firearm?

As I already responded to you, States cannot violate the Bill of Rights any more than the federal government can. If they could, Mormonism would be the state religion of Utah.

There is nothing in the Bill of Rights that would make said bill unconstitutional, excluding the 10th amendment which, of course, wouldn't apply to the states.

This bill violates the Second Amendment, which is part of the Bill of Rights.

So this is M14 Shooter's world -

1. As he has affirmed before, he thinks it's unconstitutional to ban convicted gun felons from buying guns.

2. As he has stated here, he supports the idea of a state requiring everyone to own a gun...

...see, if people like this ruled America, gangbangers convicted of felony gun crimes, once they served their sentence,

would be REQUIRED to own a gun.

See how easy it is, when you put the puzzle together?

This bill violates the 2nd Amendment for exactly the same reason that a bill requiring people to recite the Pledge of Allegiance would violate the 1st Amendment. Forced speech is an infringement of free speech, and forced gun ownership is an infringement on the right to bear arms.

there goes my freedom to NOT own guns

forcing me to buy something I don't want.....

Oh, so now you have a problem with forcing people to buy things. This wasnt a problem when you wanted the Feds to pass Obamacare.

So to summarize:

It's alright to force people to buy health care at the Federal level despite the Federal Government lacking the Constitutional power to do so.

It's not alright to force people to buy guns at the State level despite the fact that the States have authority to do so (Assuming the State Constitution has no ban on it).

I oppose mandating anything on any level. But I am not going to pretend as though the Federal Government has power the State government doesn't when it's quite the opposite on this matter.

That is not necessarily true. There is nothing in the Constitution prohibiting it and the Federal Government can set a minimum standard for vaccinations that each state must meet, while each state is free to set higher standards but not lower.
More correctly, there is nothing in the constitution that gives the federal govermnent the power to set such a standard.

The long and short of it is if the state government can require you to get vaccinated they can also require you to buy a gun.
OK... but that doesnt change the fact that if you ssupport The Obama's insurance mandate, then you have no argument against your state requiring you to buy a gun
Again, there is nothing in the Constitution limiting a vaccinations mandate solely to the states. It clearly is constitutional for government to mandate vaccinations and limit freedoms for noncompliance.

And I made no argument against a state government requiring you to buy a gun, in fact, I said it was just as valid as requiring vaccinations. I also argue that if vaccinations can be mandated then HC can also be mandated.

There is no mandate that all school age children must be vaccinated. Wtf are you talking about?

The Federal Government is already 'forcing' you to buy guns. What do you think our troops are using? Who do you think paid for them?
What's really sad about this is that I am reasonably sure that you really do need to be told the difference.

Defense is an enumerated power. If it's constitutional to draft someone and put them into servitude, not to mention at risk and/or loss of their life,

it's certainly fucking constitutional to require someone to own a gun, in defense of the nation.

1. As he has affirmed before, he thinks it's unconstitutional to ban convicted gun felons from buying guns.
2. As he has stated here, he supports the idea of a state requiring everyone to own a gun...
...see, if people like this ruled America, gangbangers convicted of felony gun crimes, once they served their sentence,
Psssstt...
Before you embarass yourself further, read the story. The link is in the OP.

Chances are those people will own guns whether or not the sate allows them to.

Again, there is nothing in the Constitution limiting a vaccinations mandate solely to the states. It clearly is constitutional for government to mandate vaccinations and limit freedoms for noncompliance.
Which clause of the Constitution gives the federal government this power?
The same clause that gives the state government this power.
Which clause of the Constitution limits this power ONLY to the state?

The US Constitution doesn't give the States any power whatsoever. It does however reserve any authority not explicitly given to the Federal Government to the States only. It's called the 10th amendment.

Psssstt...
Before you embarass yourself further, read the story. The link is in the OP.

I'm not talking about the story I'm talking about what YOU believe.

Will you remind everyone that yes indeed you do think it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL to deny a person convicted of a gun crime the right to own a gun?

Do you want to deny that so I can pull up your post saying just that? Go ahead.

While we're at it, how many of you gun rights people, like myself, have the guts to step up and say that M14 Shooter is fucking nuts?

Chances are those people will own guns whether or not the sate allows them to.

Yeah, and chances are pedophiles will molest children even when it's illegal. Are you retarded enough to use your own logic to thus believe that sex with children should be legal??

Forum List

Back