Big tech faces antitrust crackdown from House Judiciary

iceberg

Diamond Member
May 15, 2017
Big tech faces antitrust crackdown from House Judiciary

While no companies are named, any investigation will inevitably touch on Amazon, Facebook, Google and Apple.

like i've said for a long time - after living with it in the early 90s while at Microsoft, you just know that the feds really don't care about "hey, let the market decide"; esp when we get to the point where the market can't compete much less decide. it would appear we've gotten to that point and when these companies use their market power to show favoritism to one side or the other - there will be a reckoning.

looks like we're here.

This is one of the areas the Dems and Trump agree on.

Punish success, that is the mantra they are preaching

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

This is one of the areas the Dems and Trump agree on.

Punish success, that is the mantra they are preaching

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
how successful is it if they intentionally keep a side of thought down? you can argue "their business their right" but we've seen from lowly bakers this is simply not the case. after living through it in the 90s i can tell you what's going to happen and while none of it may seem earth shattering, it will change things in the end just the same.

they are bringing this on themselves by their censorship, which is their choice to do. you can say facebook is free but i do pay for it with their ability to sell my browsing history. the "free" defense wouldn't hold up in court, i do not think.

then we get amazon and MS bidding for gov cloud services and a $10 BILLION dollar contract.

Amazon Offered Job to Pentagon Official Involved With $10 Billion Contract It Sought

and amazon is pulling stunts like this to draw attention to themselves?

i'd just as soon see a rich conservative techie (if those exist) build a better answer to the problems social sharing has. let me open my own program up in the morning and pull in my own feeds from FB, Instagram, whatever - into my own reader i control and can answer to. i'm with you on building a better answer vs. shutting down someone else, but when they all group together and control things the way they are in fact doing - it's going to get them in trouble in the end and that's all there is to it.

Google peaked around 2007..then their "smartphones" caught on and then they bought up huge swaths of the internet (which they should not have been allowed to do) so yeah, they need busted up.

I remember when Babelfish was better than Google. The internet was a lot freer back then.

IDK I have always suspected that a lot of the things Apple did were things Microsoft had already done or planned to do but elected not to do after their anti-trust problems. Google is the one that definitely needs to be broken up.

IDK I have always suspected that a lot of the things Apple did were things Microsoft had already done or planned to do but elected not to do after their anti-trust problems. Google is the one that definitely needs to be broken up.
to me, apple has always been "the alternative"

don't like MS, use apple. apple made a ton selling computers for 3x normal hardware cost to people. these days their prices are way down and much closer to a PC.

now - don't like google/android, use the iphone/tablets.

i am thinking of going iphone X when i get a new work phone in Oct.

don't like MS, use apple. apple made a ton selling computers for 3x normal hardware cost to people. these days their prices are way down and much closer to a PC.

I have always been a fan of PC's. In school we had mac's but I never really saw the wow in them. Supposedly it was because they were better at video editing and such but I really don't think it made a big difference. I don't like andriod but mostly I just don't like all the preinstalled apps you cannot get rid of and it seems increasingly impossible to erase your browsing history on them. That may be more a samsung issue. Not sure.

I have always been a fan of PC's. In school we had mac's but I never really saw the wow in them. Supposedly it was because they were better at video editing and such but I really don't think it made a big difference. I don't like andriod but mostly I just don't like all the preinstalled apps you cannot get rid of and it seems increasingly impossible to erase your browsing history on them. That may be more a samsung issue. Not sure.
most phones will have "bloatware" on them. annoying as it can make your 64gb phone have like 40gb available to you. a stripped down phone would be most welcome but after this galaxy 8 i am looking for something else. not a bad phone, just not worth the cost for what i do.

You’ll like the iPhone X.

It’s all bloat ware installed by different phone makers. I use to be a android fanatic ever since the HTC Hero. Got tired of buying a flagship phone then becoming obsolete within a year. iPhone supports a lot of their older phones still today.

You’ll like the iPhone X.
well i have come to appreciate lots of screen. not sure if apple still does the rectangle in the rectangle but i'll go look around. i have an ipad mini 2 that isn't bad but the colors are muted in comparison with my samsung galaxy note tablet.

i have no idea is this is "apple" or just the mini i have for the display but you can't adjust the colors. brightness and night mode stuff sure; but not the actual "vibrance" of the colors.

Forum List

Back