Big Boy Lives

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
7563CA3A-A8BA-4D75-A006-2720BC6BCFB6.jpeg

Retired 60 years ago the worlds largest locomotive has been resurrected. Moved under his own power today. 1.25 million pounds of machine.

Union Pacific bought him back to get ready for the 150th of the Golden Spike. I was standing next to the Director responsible for the project in 2013 when they first moved him with a tractor. Hope to see him this summer again.

Last edited:
View attachment 259127

Retired 60 years ago the worlds largest locomotive has been resurrected. Moved under his own power today. 1.25 million pounds of machine.

Union Pacific bought him back to get ready for the 150th of the Golden Spike. I was standing next to the Director responsible for the project in 2013 when they first moved him with a tractor. Hope to see him this summer again.

Was this the one that was in the park in Cheyenne? I think UP made a few of them as in two or three.

View attachment 259127

Was this the one that was in the park in Cheyenne? I think UP made a few of them as in two or three.
You probably saw 844, a smaller but still impressive locomotive.

View attachment 259127

Railfans be like
87F94FFE-F4C5-4303-84FB-614D275CD80D.jpeg

OK I looked it up. A total of 25 were built. Of those 8 remain of which 7 are on static display one of those #4004 is the one on display in Holiday Park in Cheyenne Wyoming. #4014 is also in Cheyenne in the Union Pacific workshop being restored for the Golden Spike ceremony. This is the one you're talking about.
I've only seen the one in Cheyenne and the one in Denver. I was always impressed with their size and total mass, truly big boys.
While they were still in use, they operated out of Cheyenne at the end, between Cheyenne and Laramie WY when they were all eventually retired from service with the last run in 1959.

View attachment 259127

Nope it was #4004 a Big Boy. I lived in Cheyenne for a while while I was in the AF. I saw another one in Denver. I lived there too.

OK I looked it up. A total of 25 were built. Of those 8 remain of which 7 are on static display one of those #4004 is the one on display in Holiday Park in Cheyenne Wyoming. #4014 is also in Cheyenne in the Union Pacific workshop being restored for the Golden Spike ceremony. This is the one you're talking about.
I've only seen the one in Cheyenne and the one in Denver. I was always impressed with their size and total mass, truly big boys.
While they were still in use, they operated out of Cheyenne at the end, between Cheyenne and Laramie WY when they were all eventually retired from service with the last run in 1959.

And the restoration took place in Cheyenne. Off to Utah soon for the big show.

I see they have a modern engine along to help get over the big bumps. That is really something to see! Thanks for that!

Forum List

Back