Big Band Favorites.. &...Mom's Stuff

It's not just the bands.It's not just the tunes. It was just such a magical time to remember.

Friday night was the night my dad always took my mom out dancing. She'd stop in a the hair dressers and omg I just realized the hairdresser must have used a can of hairspray every time :lol: because my mom could have stood in gale force winds and not one hair would be out place.

She'd break out her Chanel No5. I just remember my dad smelling of Old Spice and Vitalis. And off they'd go in this blue and white chevy belair with fins and real chrome.

It was a marvelous and innocent time to grow up.

I recall my Dad's Old Spice and Yardley's, me, I got "Brylcreem — A Little Dab'll Do Ya!"..:lol:

It's not just the bands.It's not just the tunes. It was just such a magical time to remember.

Friday night was the night my dad always took my mom out dancing. She'd stop in a the hair dressers and omg I just realized the hairdresser must have used a can of hairspray every time :lol: because my mom could have stood in gale force winds and not one hair would be out place.

She'd break out her Chanel No5. I just remember my dad smelling of Old Spice and Vitalis. And off they'd go in this blue and white chevy belair with fins and real chrome.

I recall my Dad's Old Spice and Yardley's, me, I got "Brylcreem — A Little Dab'll Do Ya!"..:lol:

Great thread. Funny things you remember.
One time going out on this really really important first date with a young man that looked like George Harrison, I couldn't leave well enough alone.

I had to brush my hair one more time. I picked up the wrong hairbrush though. And before the smell wafted into my nostrils my hair was covered in Vitalis. It was my dad's hairbrush.

Aye carumba!!!!!!!!

I thought I was going to stroke out.

:eusa_angel:

My dad kept my date amused as I washed the Vitalis out of my hair.

One time going out on this really really important first date with a young man that looked like George Harrison, I couldn't leave well enough alone.

I had to brush my hair one more time. I picked up the wrong hairbrush though. And before the smell wafted into my nostrils my hair was covered in Vitalis. It was my dad's hairbrush.

Aye carumba!!!!!!!!

Great stuff tinydancer, I started a thread on walking down memory lane (General Discussion Forum) and it seems we are on the same path...:cool:

Last edited:

Aye carumba!!!!!!!!

Great stuff tinydancer, I started a thread on walking down memory lane (General Discussion Forum) and it seems we are on the same path...:cool:

Oh, I haven't seen that thread. I'll have to jump into that one.

:)

Yup.. a few versions of this one..

[ame=http://youtu.be/vG16V1OAwMI]Blue moon - Glenn Miller - YouTube[/ame]

Swing .. interesting video..

[ame=http://youtu.be/bBOjgnRP8Aw]The Swing Era - YouTube[/ame]

just for fun..

[ame=http://youtu.be/yNAOHtmy4j0]The Roaring Twenties - Dance Craze - YouTube[/ame]

just having some fun

[ame=http://youtu.be/JM7o0FxjWJo]WOODY HERMAN ~ IT MUST BE JELLY ~ 1944 . - YouTube[/ame]

My mom loves Harry Belafonte. I must have heard this song a million times growing up:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMTNT_BzkdA]Banana Boat Song[/ame]

Dad loved big band and swing music and so did mom. Guess they still do, but at 87 and 90 they don't bring it up much these days.

Used to be 'swing nights' at area night spots. Easy to get into a nice state of mind swing dancing with a good partner. Don't hear the music out and about these days; haven't seen any event promos in three or four years.

Forum List

Back