Biden and his "shoot 'em in the leg" statements

I agree with the spirit of what Biden is saying. I think it would be reasonable moving forward to have a greater emphasis on non-lethal methods when applicable.
I don’t think anyone would disagree with you. Some kind of science fiction stunner would be a godsend to police and security work. But nothing like that exists. Even a tazer can be lethal to some people.

Police officers have very difficult and dangerous jobs, I fully realize that, and I know that they don't have the luxury of hindsight when they are out doing their jobs, however, I do think it's reasonable to consider making more sincere attempts to lessen the chance of a deadly encounter. "Shoot them in the leg" probably comes across as either ignorant or insulting or both to many cops out there, but the concept is reasonable and necessary in my opinion. De-escalation practices and non-lethal force does not need to be considered wishful thinking for modern day policing in my personal opinion.

And when you try to shoot them in the leg and miss (a very difficult shot at best) and they shoot center mass and kill someone, what then? Social workers to counsel the shooter to not do that?

It is an idiotic concept and extremely dangerous to all concerned.

Of course, so many police have a sort of entitlement mentality these days. Thank all of the hero worship for that mindset. So, they're often very arbitrary in determining whether their life is actually being threatened.

When someone comes at you with a weapon and menace on their features, yes your life is actually being threatened.

Get away from your video games and try real life for once.

I agree with the spirit of what Biden is saying. I think it would be reasonable moving forward to have a greater emphasis on non-lethal methods when applicable.
I don’t think anyone would disagree with you. Some kind of science fiction stunner would be a godsend to police and security work. But nothing like that exists. Even a tazer can be lethal to some people.

Also don't forget that Floyd died while being subdued with the most common "non-lethal" method, good old fashioned physical hands on restraint.

Forum List

Back