Beyond the reach of majorities ...

George Will is the avatar of the disconnected gutless RINO and warmongering neocon.....Twaddling, stuffed shirt drips like him are the exact reason we got Trump.

Disagree. He's consistently argued against the neo-cons. Not sure where you get the warmongering thing. I don't agree with all of his views, but he's a far better representative for conservative/libertarian views than anyone supporting Trump.

The reason we got Trump is because the Republicans have joined the majoritarian, government-is-everything mindset of Democrats. The slack-jawed, TV-watching rank and file of the party believe - exactly as the Democrats do - that the key to changing society for the better is government. They wanted a savior and they got a huckster, which is what you always get when you ask for a savior.

George Will is the avatar of the disconnected gutless RINO and warmongering neocon.....Twaddling, stuffed shirt drips like him are the exact reason we got Trump.

Disagree. He's consistently argued against the neo-cons. Not sure where you get the warmongering thing. I don't agree with all of his views, but he's a far better representative for conservative/libertarian views than anyone supporting Trump.

The reason we got Trump is because the Republicans have joined the majoritarian, government-is-everything mindset of Democrats. The slack-jawed, TV-watching rank and file of the party believe - exactly as the Democrats do - that the key to changing society for the better is government. They wanted a savior and they got a huckster, which is what you always get when you ask for a savior.

Bullshit. Will is a pompous ass who thinks he's the smartest person in the world. He skirts around the core of every issue so he can change his commentary. A master of circular logic so he's never sitting where he would take a bullet in a circular firing squad.

He has had his head shoved up the asses of the Bushes for as long as I can remember.

And he's no libertarian....He's the water boy for the RINO that campaigns like a libertarian, then governs like a progressive, because selling out is "pragmatic".

From where I see it, republicans voted for Trump because they want someone who actually fights back, rather than sitting around being a punching bag for the democrats and media...Will is just another willing punching bag.

From where I see it, republicans voted for Trump because they want someone who actually fights back, rather than sitting around being a punching bag for the democrats and media...Will is just another willing punching bag.

LOL - he doesn't "fight back". He throws fits. He makes bold, impulsive decisions that, in the end, further the advancement of the progressive state. He doesn't even understand the struggle of principle that Will outlines in this interview. People voted for Trump because they're desperate and stupid.

Bullshit. Will is a pompous ass who thinks he's the smartest person in the world. He skirts around the core of every issue so he can change his commentary. A master of circular logic so he's never sitting where he would take a bullet in a circular firing squad.

Do you have an example of his circular logic?

LOL - he doesn't "fight back". He throws fits. He makes bold, impulsive decisions that, in the end, further the advancement of the progressive state. He doesn't even understand the struggle of principle that Will outlines in this interview. People voted for Trump because they're desperate and stupid.

So the antithesis of this thought would be that the ones who voted for clinton were smart and not desperate?

The reason we got Trump is because

There isn't a feasible 3rd party to promote when we get choices like Trump and Hillary.

So the antithesis of this thought would be that the ones who voted for clinton were smart and not desperate?

Heh... I certainly wouldn't say that.

How he fights back is immaterial...Suffice to say that democrat attacks against any opposition over the last number of decades have been as impulsive and churlish as anything Trump has done, so that's a wash. ...And the advancement of the progressive state is a forgone concision...There isn't but a fractious minority of Muricans who would have the boldness to elect someone as libertarian-ish as Rand Paul, let alone his old man.

Will's "struggle of principle" is to talk big, then cave in right on cue....Like I said, he's the avatar for the gutless pushover republican, who keeps his place lest he lose his standing with The Big Clique.

The reason we got Trump is because

There isn't a feasible 3rd party to promote when we get choices like Trump and Hillary.
Or if the "alternatives" keep nominating GOP retread losers like like Bob Barr and Gary Johnson.

Well, Trump's just the latest flavor de jour for populism. We've had populists on all sides of the political spectrum. Will views Lincoln as the example of pragmatic conservatism. Anything gets the kneejerk of the Trumpstettes.

Will's basic thesis has nothing specifically to do with neocons or liberals, but he's not on board with Trump's Charlottesville populism either.

Will's thesis is that progressivism has expanded govt and taken us away from what the Founders envisioned of every mans right to pursue happiness is hindered by others' envy"

Obviously that only gets us part of the way to the right side of God, since progressivism gave us not just universal sufferage but also an end to slavery.

But, Will admits to being libertarian "lite" (me too!) in respecting every adult's right to interact with other adults any way they choose, so long as the rights of others are not affected. And he says we should be ready to defend govts' interference in our lives when that is necessary to protect the rights of others to interact freely.

But Will then complains that the .1% pays so much in taxes. However, Will was born to elitists, educated privately, never lacked for anything. He benefitted like all of us in the 60s from the economic boom brought by ….. economic liberalism. So he bites the hand that made him, and complains that people who don't make much money ask for too much from a society where comfortable guys like him, and Jobs and Gates, advanced in state funded meritocracy … not to mention the born rich assholes like Trump and de vos who claim to know what work is.

In short, a good guy, but he only goes so far as is comfortable for him. FDR or JFK or even Reagan, he ain't.

Last edited:

Well, Trump's just the latest flavor de jour for populism. We've had populists on all sides of the political spectrum. Will views Lincoln as the example of pragmatic conservatism. Anything gets the kneejerk of the Trumpstettes.

Will's basic thesis has nothing specifically to do with neocons or liberals, but he's not on board with Trump's Charlottesville populism either.

Will's thesis is that progressivism has expanded govt and taken us away from what the Founders envisioned of every mans right to pursue happiness is hindered by others' envy"

Obviously that only gets us part of the way to the right side of God, since progressivism gave us not just universal sufferage but also an end to slavery.

But, Will admits to being libertarian "lite" (me too!) in respecting every adult's right to interact with other adults any way they choose, so long as the rights of others are not affected. And he says we should be ready to defend govts' interference in our lives when that is necessary to protect the rights of others to interact freely.

But Will then complains that the .1% pays so much in taxes. However, Will was born to elitists, educated privately, never lacked for anything. He benefitted like all of us in the 60s from the economic boom brought by ….. economic liberalism. So he bites the hand that made him, and complains that people who don't make much money ask for too much from a society where comfortable guys like him, and Jobs and Gates, advanced in state funded meritocracy … not to mention the born rich assholes like Trump and de vos who claim to know what work is.

In short, a good guy, but he only goes so far as is comfortable for him. FDR or JFK or even Reagan, he ain't.
Slavery was ended far before progressives came along...Progressivism gave us the Federal Reserve, the income tax, Jim Crow, alcohol prohibition, two world wars, Korea, Vietnam, the Red Scare, the military-industrial complex, US military hegemony across the globe, ad nauseum....Hardly a fair trade for anything.

Also, it wasn't "economic liberalism" that gave Murica its booming economic prosperity of the '50s and '60s...It was the fact that every other industrial economy on the planet had been bombed back to the 1880s in WWII...You can get away with a lot of political and economic foolhardiness when the entire world is your captive customer for industrial goods....Your historical revisionist dog don't hunt.

As far as Will goes, he is and has always been an establishmentarian stooge.

Will's "struggle of principle" is to talk big, then cave in right on cue....Like I said, he's the avatar for the gutless pushover republican, who keeps his place lest he lose his standing with The Big Clique.

I'm not really interested in debating Will's personal virtues. He's making an important argument here, one that Republicans have all but forgotten.

I'm not really interested in debating Will's personal virtues. He's making an important argument here, one that Republicans have all but forgotten.
Care to give me the Cliff's Notes version of the argument?...Listening to that milquetoast, effete, candy assed sellout makes me physically nauseous.

Last edited:

Care to give me the Cliff's Notes version of the argument?...Listening to that milquetoast, effete, candy assed sellout makes me physically nauseous.

Nah. It's all stuff you've heard before. Even if you've forgotten.

Nah. It's all stuff you've heard before. Even if you've forgotten.
I got as far as the stuff about centralizing power with the executive, which has been going on for over a century, before I couldn't anymore take Will's famous borderline condescending professorial tone...Nobody cares when their team's boy is acting like the autocrat...No news there...Is there anything else in it there I that didn't already know?

Forum List

Back