Best Omelet Ever

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Scrambled eggs mixed into fried, browned potatoes O'Brien. With a bunch of extra diced bell peppers & onions added to it. It does make for a rather epic breakfast, I just thought I'd mention. It goes so nicely with eating some fresh fruit for breakfast as well.

Scrambled eggs mixed into fried, browned potatoes O'Brien. With a bunch of extra diced bell peppers & onions added to it. It does make for a rather epic breakfast, I just thought I'd mention. It goes so nicely with eating some fresh fruit for breakfast as well.

Um...that's not an omelet.

Omelets are like pizzas. Anything can be put in or on one and the beauty is in the eye of the chef. :)

I sometimes order an omelet for breakfast at work. Mushrooms, onion, green peppers, and cheese. :)

Isn't potatoes O'Brien already peppers and onions?

Or are we talkin' potatoes O'Brien O'Brien?

WkYsT.jpg

Why not?

It sounds like a scramble, not an omelet.
Right! Its my understanding that in a omelet, the egg is folded over the other ingredients.

Of course that could be considered splitting hairs.

Why not?

Right! Its my understanding that in a omelet, the egg is folded over the other ingredients.

You can mix things with the egg and then cook it before folding over.

I personally prefer a simple omelet with eggs, gruyere cheese and sauteed mushrooms.

Why not?

You failed to mention the ultimate prerequisite! To make an omelette what is it that you have to do? Granted it was inferred.:04::04::04:

I have the best omlette recipe. The wife just asked me to make one for her tomorrow morning. Potatoes if any are on the side. It takes a while to make properly but is well worth the effort.
Chop up some bacon and start browning in a skillet over medium heat. As the bacon is rendering, chop some onion and add it to the pan. Next chop some mushrooms and add that to the pan. As the mixture browns, mix your eggs in a separate bowl and add in some diced japaneno peppers. Once the filling has gained some color, remove it from the skillet and set aside on some paper towels to drain the fat. By color I mean darker brown where the flavor comes from. Now add your beaten egg mix to the pan. As the eggs set sprinkle with grated cheese, grated Parmesan and any other spice or seasoning you want. Add the filling on top of the now mostly set eggs and sprinkle more grated cheese on top then cover the skillet until the eggs fully set and you get some brown on the bottom. Don't over do it. Flip the omlette out on to a plate folding as you tip it out. Top with a little salsa and serve. Some may call this a frittata but in either case it's good. I use a slope sided, non stick saute pan. 12"-13" will handle a three or four egg omlette. For three eggs I use 1/2 of a medium onion chopped and a slice of chopped bacon per egg. If you like it hot sprinkle in some cayenne but most of the heat comes from the jalapeno peppers that were added to the beaten egg mixture for three eggs I use about a half of a pepper finely diced leaving the seeds and membrane where the heat from the capsaicin is.

Why not?

Some say it's a frittata that way but who cares just eat it.

Never been a fan of peppers on omelets. My preference is just eggs and cheese in the pan and then add whatever else on top.

Never been a fan of peppers on omelets. My preference is just eggs and cheese in the pan and then add whatever else on top.

I understand, but what about diced potato bits?

Why not?

Scrambled eggs and an omelette are two different things.

It was my general understanding that an omelette was a scrambled egg mixed into other ingredients in the pan. I'm afraid I honestly don't get the exact distinction.

Forum List

Back