best hobby project?

blu

Sep 21, 2009
so whats people's hobby here and what is the best project you accomplished?

mine is basically anything to do with computers. My best project so far was a hobby OS. I didn't get as far as I would like due to time constraints, but I did get through handling interrupts and such through the APIC and was starting to implement PCI recognition and drivers.

my other was a very in depth security and anti-security set of work for the linux kernel.

blu,

Something tells me the majority of posters here don't have a current hobby but posting on USMB!

Several years ago I made and sold tabletop fountains. Then I held classes during which I taught others to do the same. Made some pretty good money until the pre-fabs started showing up in Wal-Mart. I got out but it was great fun.

Right now I have a '70 Classic Beetle in the garage awaiting some life-giving restoration.

I collected barometers and antique typewriters for a while. Still got some of those.

Golf use to be a hobby until I hurt my arm live too far from a Golf Course

Cross stitch use to be a hobby until even with glasses I couldn't see the little holes!

I use to love to do yard work until we moved to this almost 2 acres of land now it is a back breaking job not a hobby.

Hobby now? trying to fall asleep at a normal hour. LOL

My new hobby is illeagal:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qbc2J0zZr8]YouTube - The Jerk - Cat Juggling[/ame]

Cat juggling.

Drinking.

Starts as a hobby, evolves into a habit, becomes a profession, retires as a vocation and ends but never really seems to end.

Rebuilding a 1949 Piper Clipper. My brother and I have been working on it for a year and a half, almost finished. It will be better than new when finished because we will have changed all of the hardware to latest technology parts along with a leather interior and a larger 150 hp motor instead of the 115 hp it had originally. The bigger motor will allow us to fly more comfortably at it's 11,000 foot service ceiling and get there quicker. I plan on getting my pilot's license in this plane...... I have a few more hours of review to solo...... I started learning to fly many years ago but had to quit right before I was going to solo. It is a great way to learn to fly. We picked this plane up for 16,000 dollars and will have about 20 grand more in it for the restoration, not bad to have a fun little plane for 36,00 dollars and an education on how it works. We are figuring on a 8 gallons an hour of car fuel, a lot cheaper than AVGAS, with a cruise speed of approx. 145 mph.

This is the frame before I painted it.
http://

This is a shot of the same type of plane with the paint job I would like to put on it, my brother wants less color and burgundy instead of blue.

When we finish the Clipper, this is what we are planning on building next.

My last and likely final hobby was designing and building a 4WD power chair.
Worked out nice. direct drive 5 hp Baldour wheel motors. 6 microprocessor control units.
240 AH of battery power and a top speed of 35 mph. drives pretty much like a zero turn lawnmower.

It was a bit tricky working out the motor control programs for the turns. Have to figure in the speed and angle of turn.
Each wheel motor has an optical encoder to measure the speed. Very stable with 150 lbs of batteries mounted low.
It will take me anyplace on my farm.
And should go about 20 miles between charges, I have only taken it about 5 miles from home though. I found a semi lazy boy reclining boat seat for it. Comfy.

Drives right up the ramp into my van and latches down in place of the drivers seat.
I built it all back while I still could.

Now I just mostly read and post here. It soon will be time to get my pool ready though.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: blu
My last and likely final hobby was designing and building a 4WD power chair.
Worked out nice. direct drive 5 hp Baldour wheel motors. 6 microprocessor control units.
240 AH of battery power and a top speed of 35 mph. drives pretty much like a zero turn lawnmower.

It was a bit tricky working out the motor control programs for the turns. Have to figure in the speed and angle of turn.
Each wheel motor has an optical encoder to measure the speed. Very stable with 150 lbs of batteries mounted low.
It will take me anyplace on my farm.
And should go about 20 miles between charges, I have only taken it about 5 miles from home though. I found a semi lazy boy reclining boat seat for it. Comfy.

Drives right up the ramp into my van and latches down in place of the drivers seat.
I built it all back while I still could.

Now I just mostly read and post here. It soon will be time to get my pool ready though.

What do you use to tie everything together? A PLC or micro processor? or something else? Sounds really cool and all the talk of encoders and such makes me miss parts of my old job.

so whats people's hobby here and what is the best project you accomplished?

mine is basically anything to do with computers. My best project so far was a hobby OS. I didn't get as far as I would like due to time constraints, but I did get through handling interrupts and such through the APIC and was starting to implement PCI recognition and drivers.

my other was a very in depth security and anti-security set of work for the linux kernel.

Children's Books Online: the Rosetta Project started out as just a hobby.

It gave me something to do when I was too sick (too crazy, actually) to do anything truly productive in the real world.

15 years later and I'm still at it.

You know how it is, folks.

Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

rasing chickens

i grew some that stood 3' tall

and pigs, pigs like to drink beer btw, one can assume a brew related friendship , and never really have to bother with all the lame exchanges that go down at the bar ......

great time saver.....

~S~

Forum List

Back