Bernie, author of Sanders/Warren bill extending Social Security to 75 years & adding $200 to payments, makes case against GOP cuts to Social Security

They took it, spent it and gave us worthless IOU's. I'm old enough to remember those assholes (cough) borrowing and spending our SS money. Reagan intended that SS increase contribution money to be set aside to pay future benefits when the boomers retired. Fuckers in congress instead stole the money, spent it and now have no means of paying us back.

So they scheme to screw us out of the benefits. Jack up the retirement age so people die before they can collect a dime. Force me to pay SS tax on all of my income when I'm getting no additional benefits for MY money.
Hopefully most adopt my plan to recoup the most of what I contributed, by law. Retire before even eligible, applying immediately upon eligibility, though not at max pay, starting payment back as early as possible to insure maximum payback, encouraging, approving and saying thanks for every COLA adjustment.

Bernie warns that a default on the debt would lead to a global financial crisis, and that the GOP shouldn't hold seniors hostages by threating to cut social security. i agree!

I agree also

Social Security is a pre-paid earned benefit

If libs want to cut every spending program in the federal budget an equal amount I can support that

I think Bernie Sanders is right on this. Inflation calls for increase in payments to the retired and disabled. It is the right thing to do.

And we need to make it last for decades and centuries to come. In a civilized society we should never allow our old and disabled to rot.

I think Bernie Sanders is right on this. Inflation calls for increase in payments to the retired and disabled. It is the right thing to do.

Benefits are already adjusted for inflation.

They took it, spent it and gave us worthless IOU's. I'm old enough to remember those assholes (cough) borrowing and spending our SS money. Reagan intended that SS increase contribution money to be set aside to pay future benefits when the boomers retired. Fuckers in congress instead stole the money, spent it and now have no means of paying us back.

So they scheme to screw us out of the benefits. Jack up the retirement age so people die before they can collect a dime. Force me to pay SS tax on all of my income when I'm getting no additional benefits for MY money.
Clinton called it a "Unified Budget". All receipts are considered revenue, even SS.
Gore promised to keep the SS receipts in a "Lock Box" to be safe.

Its really not a a big deal. Fixing SS is fairly simple, raise the cap and raise the 62 early retirement age a year or two.

Actually you are getting the benefit of SS, unless you die before you collect.

They took it, spent it and gave us worthless IOU's.

Were they supposed to save the receipts as stacks of $20s instead of IOUs (US Treasuries)?

Reagan intended that SS increase contribution money to be set aside to pay future benefits when the boomers retired.

Absolutely.

Fuckers in congress instead stole the money, spent it and now have no means of paying us back.

They spend way too much, waste way too much and borrow way too much.
That has nothing to do with the accounting of Social Security.

So they scheme to screw us out of the benefits.

Who? Where?

Jack up the retirement age so people die before they can collect a dime.

People are living much longer, collecting much longer and fewer workers
are paying into the system per retiree.

Force me to pay SS tax on all of my income when I'm getting no additional benefits for MY money.

Math and demographics are a bitch.

How about you under 50’s that so worshiped lockdowns and layoffs get you asses back to work so we don’t ask people who have already worked 45 years to work another 10? Many of you moochers haven’t even worked a first 10 yet.

The fact is congress stole and spent OUR SS money and have no way of paying us back. Now we are fucked. Nothing but schemes out of congress on how to screw us out of the benefits we were forced to pay for, MF'ers.
Yep gotta live to be like 110 just to get back what ya put in as it is right now. It is horse pucky with put a doubt.

The fact is congress stole and spent OUR SS money and have no way of paying us back. Now we are fucked. Nothing but schemes out of congress on how to screw us out of the benefits we were forced to pay for, MF'ers.
We've always known SS is the world's biggest Ponzi scheme.

Clinton called it a "Unified Budget". All receipts are considered revenue, even SS.
Gore promised to keep the SS receipts in a "Lock Box" to be safe.

Its really not a a big deal. Fixing SS is fairly simple, raise the cap and raise the 62 early retirement age a year or two.

Actually you are getting the benefit of SS, unless you die before you collect.
Horseshit and babble. We get screwed no matter what you do to it.

I wrote about this last year.
I said - ageism is the only "ism" left that is actually alive and well.
Decades ago Congress tried to raise the age for SS but backlash forced them to let it go.

TODAY - younger people couldn't care less about old people. They would have no problem extending retirement age and keeping $billions going to illegal aliens etc, freebie galore to people WHO HAVE PAID NOTHING IN.

I have been very wary the past several years as our culture continues to become more and more youth centric and pushing older folks to the back of the bus.

Decades ago Congress tried to raise the age for SS but backlash forced them to let it go.

TODAY - younger people couldn't care less about old people. They would have no problem extending retirement age and keeping $billions going to illegal aliens etc, freebie galore to people WHO HAVE PAID NOTHING IN.

I have been very wary the past several years as our culture continues to become more and more youth centric and pushing older folks to the back of the bus.
75% of people under 40 have been indoctrinated into feelings are facts.
They know far far more about how to be kind to a Burka than math or critical thinking. A full 65% do not want to comprehend that SS has been paid for BY THE Recipient for 30-50 years Because that Fact interferes in the feelings dominated education/I indoctrination
Hope and change, kindness and accommodation and other real weak bullshit is Lib social policy

75% of people under 40 have been indoctrinated into feelings are facts.
They know far far more about how to be kind to a Burka than math or critical thinking. A full 65% do not want to comprehend that SS has been paid for BY THE Recipient for 30-50 years Because that Fact interferes in the feelings dominated education/I indoctrination
Hope and change, kindness and accommodation and other real weak bullshit is Lib social policy
The cornerstone of liberal social policies is to take from the have's and give it to the have nots.
Now they LOVE to say "the rich should pay fair share" - but it is not the rick who they take from.
They take from the middle class.
I have paid into SS since I was 16 years old. Save for one month, I have paid into SS for 41 years.
By the time I retire and - HOPEFULLY - start to draw from it - I will given money into it for 48 years.
Democrats... will GLEEFULLY take part of my money and give it to people who have paid little to nothing into this system. And tell you - "they are making rich pay". Absolute lie.

Which is exactly why they want to hire 87,000 IRS agents.
You think they are going to knock on the doors of $millionaires???
Hell no... they are going to knock on the doors of small businesses that have never been audited.
The company I work for has been in business since 1973. It has never been audited. The IRS is chomping at the bit to go after all of these businesses. Not the giant corporations who have been audited dozens of times.

What do you mean? In 1983, they raised the retirement age.

Background
  • The 1983 Amendments phased in a gradual increase in the age for collecting full Social Security retirement benefits. The retirement age will increase from 65 to 67 over a 22-year period, with an 11-year hiatus at which the retirement age will remain at 66.
  • The original Social Security Act of 1935 set the minimum age for receiving full retirement benefits at 65.
  • Congress cited improvements in the health of older people and increases in average life expectancy as primary reasons for increasing the normal retirement age.
  • Since the program first began paying monthly Social Security benefits in 1940 the average life expectancy for men reaching age 65 has increased nearly 4 years to age 81; for women reaching age 65, their average life expectancy has increased nearly 6 years to age 84.
  • The average age for men retiring in 1998 was 64. The average age for women retiring in 1998 was 64. In 1998, nearly 69% of men and women retired and started taking Social Security benefits before age 65.

It's time to isolate Social Security retirement funds into their own revenue stream Treasury account and keep them there, untouched, except for Social Security -related transactions.

It's time to isolate Social Security Disability funds into their own revenue stream Treasury account and keep them there, untouched, except for Social Security Disability transactions.

It's time to isolate Social Security Supplemental Income funds into their own revenue stream Treasury account and keep them there, untouched, except for SSI transactions.

It's time to isolate MediCare funds into their own revenue-stream Treasury account and keep them there, untouched, except for MediCare transactions.

Let's cut through the Gordian Knot... let's get a clearer picture of where the anchor-dragging aspects of the program are at, and then make some decisions from there.

It's time to isolate Social Security retirement funds into their own revenue stream Treasury account and keep them there, untouched, except for Social Security -related transactions.

It's time to isolate Social Security Disability funds into their own revenue stream Treasury account and keep them there, untouched, except for Social Security Disability transactions.

It's time to isolate Social Security Supplemental Income funds into their own revenue stream Treasury account and keep them there, untouched, except for SSI transactions.

It's time to isolate MediCare funds into their own revenue-stream Treasury account and keep them there, untouched, except for MediCare transactions.

Let's cut through the Gordian Knot... let's get a clearer picture of where the anchor-dragging aspects of the program are at, and then make some decisions from there.

What will these funds be invested in?

What do you mean? In 1983, they raised the retirement age.

Background
  • The 1983 Amendments phased in a gradual increase in the age for collecting full Social Security retirement benefits. The retirement age will increase from 65 to 67 over a 22-year period, with an 11-year hiatus at which the retirement age will remain at 66.
  • The original Social Security Act of 1935 set the minimum age for receiving full retirement benefits at 65.
  • Congress cited improvements in the health of older people and increases in average life expectancy as primary reasons for increasing the normal retirement age.
  • Since the program first began paying monthly Social Security benefits in 1940 the average life expectancy for men reaching age 65 has increased nearly 4 years to age 81; for women reaching age 65, their average life expectancy has increased nearly 6 years to age 84.
  • The average age for men retiring in 1998 was 64. The average age for women retiring in 1998 was 64. In 1998, nearly 69% of men and women retired and started taking Social Security benefits before age 65.

They wanted to go to 70

Forum List

Back