Benchmarks for success in the Obama administration?

Discussion in 'Congress' started by DavidS, Nov 6, 2008.

1. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    I hear so many Republicans are whetting their appetite for revenge in 2012, they're almost SURE that Obama will mess up!

So - with that in mind, I'd like to know just how Obama will mess up?

What are your benchmarks that you want in place, as a standard, a goal for Obama to hit by October 2012 in order to consider his 4 years a success or a failure?

Unemployment numbers? GDP numbers? Dow figures? Foreign policy measures?

You name it. This is your chance to state loudly and clearly what your goals are for the Obama administration. Hopefully if we're all still around here in 4 years, we can go back to this thread. Of course, there's one catch - if Obama meets these goals, you have to vote for him in 2012.

2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    I do not accept your caveat that we "have to" vote for him in the next election.. if I or anyone else would feel that the opposing candidate better suits our criteria, our stances, etc, I would still indeed vote for the other person

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,733
    What are yours?

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    If Main Street's economy is turning around, if the nosedive that describes the trajectory of the quality of life for the majority of American, so much as turns into a bellyflop, I'll call Obama a genius.

Obama alluded to doing something about fixing our insane trade policies.

Given that so few Americans seem to understand that that is the major problem facing us, I understand why he didn't make that one of his major talking points.

But surely the *cognogensia understand what the fundamental problem is and has been for some time.

Now all they have to do is change those laws from FREE TRADE to something approaching fair trade.

If I see that happening, then I'll know this Democratic regime is serious about saving this nation.

Some of you MUST REALIZE that I sound more like a 1950's radical Republican than a Liberal, when I harp on this issue, right?

I'm not entirely howling in the winderness here, am I?

Can I get a witness?

* "cognogensia" don't bother looking it up. I just coined the word.

5. The Paperboy

The Paperboy Times Square

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    In no particular order I will be happy if:

1. Oceans stop rising.
    2. Famine is no longer spreading.
    3. Storms do not devastate our lands.
    4. Children in Bangladesh are lifted out of poverty.
    5. The scourge of AIDS is banished.
    6. Bloggers in Iran are free to blog.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I submit that President-Elect Obama's first term will see little in the way of real improvement in the economy as we see it now or the world security situation. In fact I see his first 4 years as more of a hold the line and and plug the leaks period. Let me explain my opinion, First if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire which they will at this point be allowed to do, that won't happen until 2010. Then you will have most likely a long protracted congressional fight over the very same tax cuts during a time when the mid term elections are in play, when no Middle Class tax cut has been instituted yet. This by itself will be a good item for candidates to run on in the mid-term elections. When and if the Middle Class-Tax cuts come into being and at this point no one is sure what they will look like now as the Obama Administration seems to be putting the brakes on the timing because the receission at best case will come into being by late FY2011 which at that time candidates for president for 2012 will have already been announced.

President-Elect Obama has indicated a willingness to listen and Democratic congressional members have indicated that they intend to institute another economic stimulus package of approx. 150 billion dollars soon after President-Elect Obama takes office. This will add an additional 150 Billion to the already 700 billion added to the deficit with not one penny spent to reducing it yet. Further, Nancy Pelosi has indicated a willingness to listen to further "bailouts" of the auto industry.

President-Elect Obama and his staff have indicated that a top priority is green jobs and energy. So most likely you will see the Gore model cap and trade legislation come into being and large amounts of additional funding to wind, solar, and tidal, with no funding to nuclear, coal, or any industries that the environmental lobby considers off limits.

President-Elect Obama will sign SCHIP almost immediatly or within the first 60 days of his administration which was vetoed by President Bush. He will most likely push for increased funding for Education and revisit other bills vetoed by President Bush.

President-Elect Obama will give Cent-Com an overall new mission in Iraq and that is to withdraw and do so as soon as possible which he has indicated can be no sooner than 16 months and then redeploy part of those Brigades to Afghanistan. Well considering the fact that is starting now and the draw down will begin from 16 to 14 as of next month that order is a little late in comming. However, on that model that would mean that US ground forces will be withdrawn from Iraq totally by late 2010. considering the 2011 Budget would have already been signed and approved and funding for those troops on the ground would need to be there till the time they leave. The real cost savings will not be realized until his re-election year of 2012.

In conclusion, given all the factors above, IMHO President-Elect Obama will be very busy just trying to keep things stable. His ambitions and spending plans will simply not be able to be implemented until 2012. If however, he decied to push the window of those social spending plans given the deficit, the economy, two wars, and a recession, he will inviting a disaster of epic proportions IMHO.

7. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,733
    I expect him to live up to every single one of his promises. It was important enough to make them now I expect him to keep them.

I want my taxes cut.

I want the soldiers home

I want to run my car on farts

I want someone to pay for my medical bill

I want my mortgage paid for

oh, and I want all my children enrolled in college.

Thanks in advance.

8. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Your criteria? Your stances?

So if the war in Iraq is over, we've found bin laden and the economy is doing much better, because someone opposes abortion but won't stack the supreme court's deck to make abortion illegal, you'd vote for him instead of obama?

This is blind party loyalty. Our guy could be the best in the world, your guy could be the worst, but as long as he meets your "moral" crtieria, boom he's got your vote?

9. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    If someone more closely supports equality in taxation, the elimination of the entitlement mantra, having more conservative appointees to the SCOTUS, etc... YES... I would vote for them over Obama... UNLESS Obama would renouce his liberal stances and govern from a true middle/moderate position and work along those lines within my stances...

No... it is not "blind party loyalty"... it is standing by one's convictions and beliefs... I don't care if the candidate is from the Dr. Seuss party... But I do care and will always fight against the extreme liberals such as Pelosi and Obama

10. jschuck12001

jschuck12001 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48
    He will spend the first 2 or 3 years doing damage control, he was honest before he was elected by saying it could take 10 years to balance the budget and he knows that there is no way he can turn shit into shinola in 1 term. Where does he even start, We have the ongoing issues in Iraq and Afganistan and Russia is going to be that test that Biden was talking about, then he needs to somehow stabilize the credit markets so people will start buying instead of selling off every day. What a fricken mess.