Beefsteak Tomatoes!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Just planted my seeds today. I never seem to have any luck growing tomatoes, but I have a feeling THIS will be my year! :eusa_pray:

Anyone else growing tomatoes, and have any hints?

Tomatoes like warm nights.

They HATE tobacco, too.

I haven't grow a tomato that ripened on the vine in Maine in the last ten years.

It'd almost be worth moving back to PA just to be able to pluck a delicious warm juicy tomato off the vine and eat it.

In South Florida, tomatoes like cold nights...funny how that works. I find the yellow tomatoes do better...the bugs don't seem to like them. Currently I'm harvesting beefstake, plum and grape. Drool.

Grow 'em in pots, Edi...in your sunniest spot.

Just planted my seeds today. I never seem to have any luck growing tomatoes, but I have a feeling THIS will be my year! :eusa_pray:

Ya know those upside-down tomato planters that have been on TV recently? We've been using a home made version of them for years. Best, juiciest tomatoes I've ever had come from those planters!

Save the seeds from your tastiest tomatos. My boyfriend's mother brought her seeds over from Italy and she grew the most delicious tomatos I ever ate till a couple of years ago when she got sick in the spring and decided her life was over and stopped gardening for a season. Since then she's used commercial plants but they aren't anywhere as good. This year she and I and two of my neighbors are growing tomatos from the second generation of seeds from a very tasty tomato I bought at a farmer's market 3 years of years ago, whose seeds I saved and then forgot about in a drawer. I planted them last year in July just to see what would happen. They grew into big healthy plants and the tomatos were as delicious as the one I took the seeds from.

Save the seeds from your tastiest tomatos. My boyfriend's mother brought her seeds over from Italy and she grew the most delicious tomatos I ever ate till a couple of years ago when she got sick in the spring and decided her life was over and stopped gardening for a season. Since then she's used commercial plants but they aren't anywhere as good. This year she and I and two of my neighbors are growing tomatos from the second generation of seeds from a very tasty tomato I bought at a farmer's market 3 years of years ago, whose seeds I saved and then forgot about in a drawer. I planted them last year in July just to see what would happen. They grew into big healthy plants and the tomatos were as delicious as the one I took the seeds from.

I gave some heirloom tomato seeds to a friend with a big, sunny yard. Here's to hoping her husband has luck with them! :beer:

I gave some heirloom tomato seeds to a friend with a big, sunny yard. Here's to hoping her husband has luck with them! :beer:
May they return the favor and bring you a bushel in Sept!

I'm getting hungry now!

There is NOTHING more tasty than a home grown tomato right off the vine.

Heaven! :cool:

grind up a dozen eggshells...save them up and nuke them for 20 secs..then grind up in a blender to about the size of small flakes....surround each plant with a doz ground up shells....

grind up a dozen eggshells...save them up and nuke them for 20 secs..then grind up in a blender to about the size of small flakes....surround each plant with a doz ground up shells....

I do that for my houseplants too. It looks nicer than dirt. Though I never thought of nuking them. Gotta try that now.

Here in the south, I've learned patience when it comes to vegetable gardens.
I just wait for everybody else to have more fruition than they need, then reap the rewards.
It works every year.

Now what'n the sam hell would anyone grow'm for when they're so damned cheap at the grocery store that you can buy them only as often as you need, and not have to worry about who you can give them away to this time at the end of the season?:lol:

Now what'n the sam hell would anyone grow'm for when they're so damned cheap at the grocery store that you can buy them only as often as you need, and not have to worry about who you can give them away to this time at the end of the season?:lol:

All the teachers in my building know how much my daughter and I love tomatoes, so they bring me sacks full of them in August and early September. She and I could go through a sack a day, and like I said, there is NOTHING better than a home grown tomato!

Store bought doesn't even come CLOSE! :eek:

All the teachers in my building know how much my daughter and I love tomatoes, so they bring me sacks full of them in August and early September. She and I could go through a sack a day, and like I said, there is NOTHING better than a home grown tomato!

Store bought doesn't even come CLOSE! :eek:

You can stick two tomatoes in front of me, and I wouldn't be able to tell you which was "home" grown, and which came from a grocery store... They taste like...well... tomatoes.

Forum List

Back