Bear shot on TV show "Gold Rush Alaska" What's the big deal?

I hope you enjoyed your coyote stew..along with the fine apparel you made from the hide.

Left it lying. Will shoot over it again tonight.

Ah..so it was a bloodlust thing.

Good on you.

Did nothing useful.

No, it was a bait thing. As the full moon comes each month, we check the weather, schedule a hunt, acquire bait (that was his role) and work to save the environment.

He is serving his purpose. Big hunt is tonight, but I *may not* be able to make it. Sucks too, because tonight is one of the biggest crowds we've had in a while (weather is AWESOME right now!) :(

Good on you.

Did nothing useful.

No, it was a bait thing. As the full moon comes each month, we check the weather, schedule a hunt, acquire bait (that was his role) and work to save the environment.

He is serving his purpose. Big hunt is tonight, but I *may not* be able to make it. Sucks too, because tonight is one of the biggest crowds we've had in a while (weather is AWESOME right now!) :(

I guess since coyote hunting is only legal during daylight hours in Alabama you are all breaking the law.

Just an observation. Not passing judgement. :thup:

I hope the bear at least got the chance to rip one of those crackers heads off before they shot it.

Good on you.

Did nothing useful.

I guess since coyote hunting is only legal during daylight hours in Alabama you are all breaking the law.

That actually seems like an odd restriction to me since coyote are primarily nocturnal.

But according to what I read it's illegal to hunt them at night.

Good on you.

Did nothing useful.

It is illegal as hell!

If you don't have a nuisance permit :)

Supplying the Sheriff and DNR with firearms and ammo was one of the best decisions I ever made :)

Edited to add:

And while it certainly is illegal to hunt ANYTHING at night in Alabama (other than raccoon), there isn't a Game Warden in the State who would cite you for hunting coyote on your own property at night, unless you were hunting over bait. That is where the nuisance permit becomes almost a requirement. There is debate currently to open the season to night hunting as well for feral hogs and coyote, and it will become legal in the next year or two. For now, you have to go through the formality of applying for and receiving the nuisance permit. Bonus with that is they will automatically give you a permit to bait the coyote as well, with anything that is in season (you can qualify to bait with deer out of season if the deer have become a nuisance as well).

I am not aware of anyone having ever been turned down where coyote were the nuisance.

Last edited:

Good on you.

Did nothing useful.

Basically you don't "save' the environment..quite the contrary..you destroy it. It's funny listening to the "Back to nature" types that buy land in pristine areas..build..then get upset when they are over run with nature. They wind up at war with it..and destroying much of what they initially were saying was so "beautiful". Well nature isn't a static postcard. Eco-systems are living/breathing entities.

And humans aren't really a part of that any longer.

You kill for the sake of killing. You contribute nothing whatsoever to the enviroment. Indeed your presence is a destructive force.

I can understand farmers and ranchers wanting to kill predators like coyote.

But Mini's insistance that they are not 'native' isn't really true. Coyote are very much native to North America. The feral hogs are a different story.

Good on you.

Did nothing useful.

Basically you don't "save' the environment..quite the contrary..you destroy it. It's funny listening to the "Back to nature" types that buy land in pristine areas..build..then get upset when they are over run with nature. They wind up at war with it..and destroying much of what they initially were saying was so "beautiful". Well nature isn't a static postcard. Eco-systems are living/breathing entities.

You kill for the sake of killing. You contribute nothing whatsoever to the enviroment. Indeed your presence is a destructive force.

My family has had that land since 1855. I am the first generation to have ever seen a coyote on the property. I am also the first generation to NOT see turkey and quail on that property (they were gone for 2 years), but we have remedied that after 3 years of hunting the coyote aggressively.

If you don't believe we can exterminate the coyote, remember the dodo, the caspian tiger, and the sea cow.

But Mini's insistance that they are not 'native' isn't really true. Coyote are very much native to North America. The feral hogs are a different story.

LOL....they aren't native to Alabama. I never said they weren't native to North America.

You hear what you want to hear, don't you? What was typed has nothing to do with it, huh? You have a recurring problem in this area.

LOL....they aren't native to Alabama. I never said they weren't native to North America.

You hear what you want to hear, don't you? What was typed has nothing to do with it, huh? You have a recurring problem in this area.

Alabama is part of North America skippy :thup:

Last edited:

Alabama is part of North America skippy :thup:[/QUOTE]

If you just make up shit, and then say I said it, why would I be surprised if you do the same regarding coyotes in Alabama?

sigh.......
Alabama - Great Days Outdoors Magazine Fishing, Hunting - Dedicated to Sportsmen and Their Families

Let me guess......you live, and were raised, in the city?

Alabama is part of North America skippy :thup:

No shit?

Wow.....and didn't North America used to be part of Africa?

But elephants aren't native in Alabama either, and coyotes aren't native to Zimbabwe.

Guess we just got lucky with where those fault lines lay, huh?

btw Mini, i'm not really trying to be intentionally antagonistic, but coyote migrating there on their own isn't the same as a non-native species being introduced by man. And when you say they're not native, that is how I interpret your claim.

And even your link credits migration for current populations in Alabama

Hey look at that, I can find an internet blog too! And the name says it all! :lol:

Native Animals From Alabama: The American Coyote

Slight difference. My articleblog cites its source:

For more information contact Stewart Abrams, Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries, P.O. Box 27, Hollins, AL 35082.

The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources promotes wise stewardship, management and enjoyment of Alabama’s natural resources through five divisions: Marine Police, Marine Resources, State Lands, State Parks, and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. To learn more about ADCNR visit Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

How about yours?

btw Mini, i'm not really trying to be intentionally antagonistic,

I didn't read the rest of your post, assuming it was as much bullshit as those first few words.

Still, its all good. My opinion of you has not changed.
:eusa_whistle:

btw Mini, i'm not really trying to be intentionally antagonistic, but coyote migrating there on their own isn't the same as a non-native species being introduced by man. And when you say they're not native, that is how I interpret your claim.

And even your link credits migration for current populations in Alabama

I already have said myself that they got here by migration.

Do you read anything? Or do you just make shit up and start wailing away?

My family has had that land since 1855. I am the first generation to have ever seen a coyote on the property. I am also the first generation to NOT see turkey and quail on that property (they were gone for 2 years), but we have remedied that after 3 years of hunting the coyote aggressively.

If you don't believe we can exterminate the coyote, remember the dodo, the caspian tiger, and the sea cow.

The native species had it long before you. And, God willing, they will have it long after you are extinct.

Forum List

Back