Bear shot on TV show "Gold Rush Alaska" What's the big deal?

So then we agree that it wasn't 'wrong' for the Alaska state agency to voice their opinion and for news outlets to run the story.

Glad we sorted that out. :thup:

Had that been my problem, I would have said so. I never said a word about Alaska DNR, and I was never confused about whether or not they were "wrong" in commenting.

You apparently were.

My bad. I guess it must've been someone else using your account to post that this is 'entertaining enviro-tards' and shouldn't even be reported by the media at all. :rolleyes:

I think they ended up eating it didnt they?

But your right.... I have had fist fights with a couple of my so called friends when I was younger over them just shooting a bird or squirrel just because it was funny to them.
Needless to say.... the re'nt my friends ny longer.

I say if ya shoot it, you had better plan to eat it. (unless you are protecting life and limb)[/FONT]

They did end up eating the bear.

But I have shot over 300 coyotes in my lifetime (probably well over 500, I quit counting about 10 years ago). I've never, and will never, eat one. I have used a handful of their hides (maybe 6-7? but that's it).

The only use for a coyote in Alabama is as bait for other coyotes. They are not native, and we cannot kill them fast enough if we are to protect our natural habitat. Coyote and feral hog are now "shoot on sight" in Alabama as they are nuisance animals with no benefit whatsoever to our environment.

But your right.... I have had fist fights with a couple of my so called friends when I was younger over them just shooting a bird or squirrel just because it was funny to them.

I say if ya shoot it, you had better plan to eat it. (unless you are protecting life and limb)[/FONT]

But I have shot over 300 coyotes in my lifetime (probably well over 500, I quit counting about 10 years ago). I've never, and will never, eat one. I have used a handful of their hides (maybe 6-7? but that's it).

The only use for a coyote in Alabama is as bait for other coyotes. They are not native, and we cannot kill them fast enough if we are to protect our natural habitat. Coyote and feral hog are now "shoot on sight" in Alabama as they are nuisance animals with no benefit whatsoever to our environment.

How did they get there?

So then we agree that it wasn't 'wrong' for the Alaska state agency to voice their opinion and for news outlets to run the story.

Glad we sorted that out. :thup:

Had that been my problem, I would have said so. I never said a word about Alaska DNR, and I was never confused about whether or not they were "wrong" in commenting.

You apparently were.

My bad. I guess it must've been someone else using your account to post that this is 'entertaining enviro-tards' and shouldn't even be reported by the media at all. :rolleyes:

In which format does the DNR serve as "media?"

TV?

Print?

Radio?

Or are the an "agency."

I never had any concern with the DNR or their statement (which was in response to a media request for comment).

You just wished I did.

Just last weekend I threw on some snowshoes and humped into the woods behind my house to drop off some old frozen burgers at the entrances of a couple of coyote dens.

True story :thup:

How did they get there?

Both through migration.

Just last weekend I threw on some snowshoes and humped into the woods behind my house to drop off some old frozen burgers at the entrances of a couple of coyote dens.

True story :thup:

images

You apparently were.

In which format does the DNR serve as "media?"

TV?

Print?

Radio?

Or are the an "agency."

I never had any concern with the DNR or their statement (which was in response to a media request for comment).

You just wished I did.

Oh I get it now. What you are saying is that by reporting what the DNR said, the media are guilty of 'entertaining enviro-tards'.

But wait, that's nothing more than hyperbolic bullshit.

Thanks for demonstrating that I was right all along. :thup:

Oh I get it now. What you are saying is that by reporting what the DNR said, the media are guilty of 'entertaining enviro-tards'.

I'm not standing in the way of your quest to be right about something you said you didn't particularly care about. Its all about you anyway, right? Yours isn't the first ego I've encountered that is more concerned with being "right" than being relevant.

I'm just appreciative that you allow the rest of us to live in your world.

Thanks, brother!

I'm not standing in the way of your quest to be right about something you said you didn't particularly care about. Its all about you anyway, right? Yours isn't the first ego I've encountered that is more concerned with being "right" than being relevant.

I'm just appreciative that you allow the rest of us to live in your world.

Thanks, brother!

You're very welcome. :cool:

I just read an article about feral hogs in the U.S.

They are becoming a plague in several states; especially Texas.

By tearing up farmers field and destroying fences and other property.

So it's shoot on sight with no limit or season.

Although, live captured hogs are sold to animal processors and turned into a lean low cholesterol wild game meat that commands high prices.

Seems the Spanish Conquistadors introduced them into the Americans in the 1500's.

Who brought them from Europe as a food source during their exploratory expeditions and some escaped.

Last edited:
If the guy had tied his stupid kids to a tree holding the box of graham crackers that started the whole problem and went out to defend them with a bowie knife I'd tune in. Shooting a wild animal with a high powered rifle with a scope is pathetic....I've seldom heard of a black bear attacking a human being without it being a sow defending her cubs. It always happens to morons that hike into bear country and don't have the proper knowledge of bears or the seasons or what to do to stay out of trouble.

The idiot wannabe gold miners were ill prepared for their mining adventure. Letting their stupid kids leave graham crackers out in the open on the ground was irresponsible.

Unless you are feeding your family..I mean REALLY feeding your family and not just killing things for sport you are no less psychologically warped than a kid that pulls the wings off of bugs or ties fire crackers to a cats tail.

If your coyote was not responsible for some damage to your livestock you are an asshole.

I get the feeling you just like killing things for the fun of it. If I am wrong I apologize...but I don't think I am.

I used to kill a lot of animals when I was young. It was ignorant. I grew out of it. There is nothing "proved" by sport hunting. You are supposed to know you are capable of "winning" against a wild animal. You don't need to keep "proving it".

If the guy had tied his stupid kids to a tree holding the box of graham crackers that started the whole problem and went out to defend them with a bowie knife I'd tune in. Shooting a wild animal with a high powered rifle with a scope is pathetic....I've seldom heard of a black bear attacking a human being without it being a sow defending her cubs. It always happens to morons that hike into bear country and don't have the proper knowledge of bears or the seasons or what to do to stay out of trouble.

The idiot wannabe gold miners were ill prepared for their mining adventure. Letting their stupid kids leave graham crackers out in the open on the ground was irresponsible.

Unless you are feeding your family..I mean REALLY feeding your family and not just killing things for sport you are no less psychologically warped than a kid that pulls the wings off of bugs or ties fire crackers to a cats tail.

If your coyote was not responsible for some damage to your livestock you are an asshole.

I get the feeling you just like killing things for the fun of it. If I am wrong I apologize...but I don't think I am.

I used to kill a lot of animals when I was young. It was ignorant. I grew out of it. There is nothing "proved" by sport hunting. You are supposed to know you are capable of "winning" against a wild animal. You don't need to keep "proving it".

I kill coyote (not native) to protect deer, quail, fox, bobcat, squirrels, rabbits, duck, turkey, and other wildlife (native), some of which I also hunt for food. I also kill them to protect my livestock, and have killed one protecting a friend's pet. If someone can come up with a beneficial use for coyote, I'm all ears, but as of now I've got all the coyote skin caps and moccasins I'll ever need.

And yeah, its a lot of fun watching a worthless predator's head explode from 100 yards away :) Especially when the fawns are walking.

And when the pigs get here (they are coming), my fun will be doubled (I have crops too!).

Open season here, and no bag limit on either. We can't kill them fast enough, but as a responsible environmentalist, I'm doing my part :)

I don't like people who shoot any animal for 'sport'. Food, fine. But just for the craic of it? Bastards.

I say if ya shoot it, you had better plan to eat it. (unless you are protecting life and limb)

Contrary to popular belief, bears don't attack - unless they are starving. And the only reason bears starve is because assholes with guns over hunt their territory. Leave the bears alone and they will do likewise.

I like bears. In fact, generally, I prefer animals to humans.

We have entire channels devoted to hunting. On average, 200+ animals being shot is broadcast to millions of viewers every day.

Ah, but for those who like such shows, they can turn to that channel or not. THIS show is about finding gold, not shooting animals. Personally, I will now never watch that show again. I guess I missed the episode concerning this situation and I'm glad I did.
And I hope other animal lovers do the same thing so this show is off the air for good. Next time they will think of something else for better ratings....and a better show because although I did watch it a few times..I found it extremely boring...and stupid.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back