Battling the Odds

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Iridescence, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    What extraordinary measures do you take as an individual for the flu seasons? Do you depend on the flu shots given within the community? Or do you have your own methods?

2. lilbug

lilbug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I do don't flu shots. The worst flu I ever had was after I'd had a flu shot. I keep 'public' contact areas clean and sprayed with Lysol...phone, keyboard, door knobs, keys, commode handle and faucets, etc. Keep fresh hand towels in the bathroom. Clean countertops with bleach weekly. Wash my hands after handling money. Take vitamins as always, maybe extra vitamin C, lots of fluids and try to get enough rest . You can't control the behavior of others though, and you have to go living your life in public areas. I try to wash my hands whenever I come back in from visiting or an errand.

3. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    We also don't take the flu shots. One year I did take my children to get them, but it didn't seem to make any difference in their tolerance.

We have methods that seem to work, they just aren't the popular ones. :lol:

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    Wash. Your. Hands. A LOT! And keep your hands away from your face. Best way to avoid getting sick. Also wash things like keyboards, phones, remotes, DOORKNOBS!, light switches, kitchen cabinet knobs, etc.

I was driving home from a viewing waaaay back in 1988 or so. Half hour ride home. At the start I was fine. Half way through swallowed and thought 'hmmm, my throat feels funny'. By the time I got home the Shanghai flu had me. Never had the flu before or since and don't ever want to get it again!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. MariahWilson

MariahWilson Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maintaining good health and avoiding stress, using nutritive supplements that supports immune system and keeping the surroundings clean are the preventive measures to be taken against flu.

6. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    There seems some seasons that no amount of mere physical cleanliness matters... I don't always wash my hands so much and don't even think about it much because for years my hands had always been in some form of water for the biggest part of my day... I used to be fanatical with lysol and clorox... and still can be during certain times, but not nearly as much. From what I can remember the one year I had been the sickest of my adult life so far has been the one year I got a flu shot that was provided for by the company I worked at then. They had said the only way it was possible for me to get so sick was if I had already been sick without symptoms. ??? I just know it was a most difficult year and one that I could least afford to miss work in. So much of my life, even married, has been about living with the next paycheck already owed... so optimum health always was important, just not always a primary focus.

*This* is a biggy. Avoiding stress or becoming better accomplished at self-soothing methods that effectively shed the daily amounts in such a way that they do not linger through the week... Nutritive supplements and such are another big one in our home... Sometimes I hear Eminem's rant "Mom, what's up with you and all these pills." BUT it is also sometimes worth those moments of self-doubt and a mother's worry... :) Happy to have you Mariah. :) I'm kinda new too...

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,939
    i work during the winter...with the public and their money.......it will go thru the entire staff...we generally refer to it as some mystery crud.....last year's was bad.....right when you thought you were over it...it knocked your dick in the dirt again

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,939
    i use my germ proof ghetto hoodie to fend them off

9. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    *lola* I should probably wear hats... I just cannot seem to get used to the feel of them unless it's so cold I HAVE to then I'm distracted from the feel of it.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I smoke heavily.

Hence all those nonsmokers with the flu avoid me.

Smokers with the flu are usually too sick to be out in public.