Barack Obama: Africa's presidents-for-life are risk to democratic progress

Oliver King

Rookie
Jul 21, 2015
Obama blames Africa s lack of democratic progress on its presidents-for-life US news The Guardian

In address to African Union, US president criticises corrupt leaders and makes plea for sexual equality and end to FGM.
Barack Obama has made a scathing attack on Africa’s culture of presidents-for-life, urging the continent’s leaders to follow the example of George Washington and Nelson Mandela by respecting term limits, and saying of himself: “I think if I ran I could win, but I can’t.”
The US president, addressing the African Union (AU) on Tuesday at its headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, at the close of a four-day visit to east Africa, also repeated his impassioned plea for girls to be treated equally and not suffer mutilation of their bodies.

“ I love my work but under our constitution, I cannot run again. I actually think I’m a pretty good president: I think if I ran I could win, but I can’t.

121204_barack_obama_ap_605.jpg

I am very concerned with Obama' s words about his possible victory ... Does he really sure that after 2 bloody and unstable terms, after Obamacare/ gay-marriages/ Iran deal/ ISIS/ immigration issues/ talks about gun control and so on, Americans still want him in the White House?
I have doubts...
Seeing how people react, what people say, I am sure that America is done with Obama. And it should be better for him to understand the reality...

It was tradition for Pres to run just 2 terms, it took a ruthless dictator to cause it to become law.

so yea, obama could win, he knows how to buy votes and knows the press will continue to cover for him.

aside from that

It was good of him to be honest with the tyrants of africa, not that it will do anything.

Forum List

Back