Bands you once thought sucked, but subsequently came to appreciate?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Are there any bands that you once thought totally sucked, but have since gained an appreciation for their music... even if you wouldn't necessarily spend money to buy it?

An easy one for me is Prince. At his peak, I thought his music was totally gay. But since I've come to realize he's about as talented a musician as you'll find.

She is not a band but I used to hate Britney Spears but I have come to realize she is great to listen to while working out. :D

Tom Jobim.

The Girl From Ipenema was laughable elevator music but once you get into the original sounds, many of his compositions are so beautiful (Wave, Desafinado, Corcavado) that they can bring me to tears.

Are there any bands that you once thought totally sucked, but have since gained an appreciation for their music... even if you wouldn't necessarily spend money to buy it?

An easy one for me is Prince. At his peak, I thought his music was totally gay. But since I've come to realize he's about as talented a musician as you'll find.

Me too,until I started trying to play guitar, and realized how hard it really is. He is a guitar genius, and he makes it look so effortless like the greats do.

Band wise, I used to think Metallica sucked, but now I think for a Metal Group they are the best. (imo)

• Banned
That's funny, I used to love Metallica and now I think they're immensly overrated.

Go figure.

I never thought the Allman brother sucked, but after seeing them last May I new found respect for them. In my opinion, they are a great jam band.

A couple years ago, I never really saw the buzz about Eric Clapton. While I didn't think he sucked, I thought he was overrated.

However, listening to his music, he truly is one of the greatest guitarists ever. And has a lot of great songs obviously.

Journey. I used to make fun of them without mercy when I was in high school.

Now I'm older I think they're (and when I say "they" I actually mean Steve Perry) are absolutely AMAZING.

That's funny, I used to love Metallica and now I think they're immensly overrated.

Go figure.

As a guitarist and former professional musician, I wholeheartedly agree. I teach Metallica songs to my beginning students. Once they get that down, I teach them something more complicated like chords with more than 1 finger and solos that require the pinky.

Go figure.

Only because they sold out

They are overrated as they are now. Their older stuff is what is great

for someone who "sold out" an awful lot of their fans bought that album....including many of those saying they sold out......i saw Metalica when that LP came out at the Rose Bowl.....the place was packed....they were at the end of their ride,why should they not have made a few bucks going out.....they deserved it....

Go figure.

Only because they sold out

They are overrated as they are now. Their older stuff is what is great

for someone who "sold out" an awful lot of their fans bought that album....including many of those saying they sold out......i saw Metalica when that LP came out at the Rose Bowl.....the place was packed....they were at the end of their ride,why should they not have made a few bucks going out.....they deserved it....

I'm not even a fan of Metal, but of those bands that do play metal they suck the least imo.

Another band I've grown fond {and wasn't before} over time is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, TP is consistent if anything.

Forum List

Back