Ban or Censor Video Games, Not Guns?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,966
    We have a family member who has just been paroled for the third time. Each time he has gone to prison, it has been his parents who blew the whistle and reported him. Hooked on bad drugs, a thief, and occasionally violent, he had robbed his parents blind. And yet they kept taking him back after each imprisonment. They DID believe he was capable of hurting them and they slept with a chair jammed under their bedroom door knob. And evenso, his mom inexplicably wanted him to come home when he got out this last time because she didn't think he could make it on his own. (The rest of the family made sure that didn't happen.)

This nephew has siblings who are salt of the Earth, never got in trouble with the law, and have been exemplary people, as are the parents. But a mother's love can be a force more powerful than any amount of fear and violence and it often is not objective or even rational.

Nevertheless, when you have so much evidence of so much anti social behavior from so many of the young, and an increase in the volence produced from that, there must be some underlying reasons for that. This does not excuse the person who makes a wrong choice, most especially a destructive violent one that hurts people in the worst ways. But I can't see how an awareness of how our modern culture contributes is a bad thing.

2. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,728
    I just call it "bad wiring." No one knows what goes wrong, but something just doesn't complete the circuit in some people.

And I agree about our culture, I believe that it is designed to destroy our society.

3. PaulS1950

PaulS1950 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    There are those individuals who are "wired wrongly" from birth but they are rare. Most criminal behavior can be attributed to poor choices from a young age. Choices that are most often supported through poor parenting skills or peer involvement. It is only "the culture" because so many parents don't realize that children need to have restrictions put on them to be secure. They have to know what is right and wrong from a very early age and have those concepts rigidly applied throughout their lives.

If it is OK for mom and dad to speed (break the law) and its ok to cheat on their taxes and drink a bit and then drive - the kids learn that the law doesn't always apply. If it is ok to keep a "teddy bear" that you find on the street then it must be ok to keep anything that you find...
    I took my grandson around the block to find out who lost the stuffed animal he found and they were extatic to get it back. It showed him that when someone loses something it is better to return it than it is to just keep it. When I found $80 in my driveway we went down the block asking if someone had lost it - nobody claimed it so we put it in a drawer for safe-keeping and two days later a friend of my daughter called our neighbor to see if they found it. They got the money back and they don't have enough to make the loss an affordable event.
    The best way to behave as an adult is to try to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.
    The best way to act as a parent is to be the example that you want your kids to have. It is all too easy to say, "oh, he is just going through a phase" or that' "he is just being a boy" when you should be using discipline to correct bad behavior and love and acceptance when he is following the rules. Kids need love but they also need the discipline.