Badly timed traffic signals cost Union City big bucks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by -Cp, Sep 26, 2005.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    UNION CITY — Every ticket generated by red-light enforcement cameras in the city before last Saturday will be dismissed due to a snafu — letting thousands of red-light runners off the hook and costing the city hundreds of thousands of dollars in anticipated revenue.
    Police officials and city engineers discovered last week that the yellow-light duration at every one of its camera-enforced intersections was too short — in some cases by more than a second. The city began using cameras in the summer at five intersections along Alvarado-Niles Road and Union City Boulevard.

Since then, about 3,000 people have been photographed driving through red lights. With the city getting $136 for each conviction, dismissing every ticket means the city now will not receive more than $400,000 that would have gone into its general fund. Adding to the impact are the costs incurred in processing all of those tickets that now will be dismissed.

The state Department of Transportation sets the minimum amount of time that a traffic signal must remain yellow before turning red, based on the road's speed limit. For a road with a speed limit of 45 mph, such as Union City Boulevard at Lowry Road, the light needs to stay yellow for at least 4.3 seconds.

Read the rest:
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_3058409

2. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Well thank you Union city for admitting that Cities place within their budgets traffic tickets as expected revenue. Tickets are a waste. They dont deter crime. They simply make law-abiding citizens, who are already paying ricidulous amounts of money in property taxes to the city, criminals. Do you think a criminal is going to stop at a red light and think twice? You send the ticket to the house that the license plate is at and might find that its not even their house, or license plate, or car.

Tickets abuse the law abiding citizens of this country by making them pay over and beyond what they are already paying to the town. Yet criminals get away with these trivialities and more because cops are too busy writing tickets when they should be catching drug-dealers and thieves.

3. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :poke: If you just got a traffic ticket, you're breaking the law.. Therefore, you're no longer a law-abiding citizen. :D

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Red Light cameras should be illegal...Red light cameras do NOT increase public safety; moreover, they tend to cause INCREASES in traffic accidents.

:(

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    So im a criminal because i was driving my car too fast or i went through a red light while it was changing? Wake up. If you think tickets are meant to protect the public from anything then your the ones they love. The gullable fools who dont realize that these laws are unlawful against honest citizens.

6. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Nah... I've gotten 2 speeding tickets (in the same weekend, mind you).. I just suck it up and take responsibility for it, rather than screaming "Unfair!"

You either broke a law, or you didn't. Simple as that, really, no matter how much you try to make excuses for it.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

tis a naive view of traffic 'laws', toots. Honestly. :(

It's naive because I know of too many people who got tickets and were NOT guilty of a single infraction.

:)

<- raises hand as 'one of those people'.

8. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Got any data to back your claim?

9. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://www.motorists.com/issues/enforce/burkeyobeng2004.html

http://www.motorists.com/issues/enforce/australia.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

I too have gotten my share of tickets. Not one time was i endangering another person or endangering myself (which should be besides the point).

The point of these tickets is obvious as Union City has clearly stated for all to see. It is a big money maker for cities and municipalties. This in turn allows them to higher more cops not for stopping criminal behaviour but for writing more tickets to bring in more money. Its like a business and we just bend over and take it everytime.