Backing up our soldiers

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jimnyc, Sep 3, 2003.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I'm posting this in the Canada section, as it seems a lot of hostility and resentment for our military actions is coming from here.

I made a previous reference to our soldiers as "hero's". I think I was told in similar terms that they were murderers.

Our soldiers enlisted in their respective units for one reason and one reason only, to defend our Country and all of it's citizens freedom. You can condemn our government until you are blue in the face, but our soldiers are simply following orders. We have some of the most educated soldiers on the planet. We have some of the most advanced technology. We have perhaps one of the largest military. We get involved where people think we shouldn't. We assist countries that no other country will. We stand up not only for the rights of America, but for everyone in the world. But, whether you believe this to be true or not, it doesn't change the fact that these soldiers will offer their lives for those given the ability to sit here and have the right to argue about it. They offer their lives to assist people in countries where they are disrespected. They are willing to die for all of us. That is a hero in my opinion.

I was driven to write this post after listening to a song that janeeng emailed to me. Following is the lyrics to that song, and here is the song for your listening pleasure.

A soldiers heart

All hope was gone
    Hard to hang on
    Hard to be strong
    Was blind, could not see
    Nothing but walls in front of me and inside no peace

And the mountains seemed impossible to climb until...

[Chorus]

You stood on the front lines
    You led the way, out of the darkness
    We didn't go astray
    You were ready to die for our sake
    And that takes a soldier's heart

Oceans so deep
    Uphill so steep
    But still we believe
    And when the road was too far to travel
    Heros you came and carried us there

And the mountains seemed impossible to climb until...

[Chorus]

And so our flag was still there
    All because you decided to care

[Chorus x2]

You stood on the front lines
    You led the way, out of the darkness
    You could have let us go astray
    You were ready to die for our sake

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jim!!!! and to all the vets and those serving now and in Iraq "a big thanks to you all" you have my up most respect!

3. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey Jim, email that to me, willya?

4. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Jim, by the way, on the radio you do know they have the dubbed version of this. They will have actual soldiers talking in the background from Iraq and Bush talking as well. That version, truly put tears in my eyes. See if you can find it. Maybe Z100, but not sure!!! but trust me when I tell you, much deeper than this one. Same artist, just dubbed!!!

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    On its way, should receive it shortly!

6. canadarocks

canadarocks Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to cry. Wave an american flag and I get so emotional. I almost cried when "our great leader" Bush declared victory on the aircraft carrier?

People join the military for more then just the reason you mentioned. There are many reason why people join
    1) To get an free education
    2) To make something out of themselves
    3) to get guns and to be able to blow up things
    4) To travel the world and see other countries

There are probably more but it is definately not just the one reason you mentioned.

7. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Ok, point taken. I'm sure some have joined for various other reasons, some of which you have listed.

When push comes to shove though, they are going to lay their lives on the line for what I have outlined. They are all aware of the potential risks when enlisting and they do so anyway.

8. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That's maybe what some do when they join! but you really think all? no way! there are some that actually love their country enough to want to be a part in protecting it. They also ALL know that when they join, and even if it's for an education, that there is the possability of WAR!!! they know this. They didn't have to join, but they knew and chose to even if WAR were to come about. Your comment about I want to cry, it's just that of a wise ass! it's a shame that's your opinion. You were probably one of the fruity asses that evil arnold mentioned and fled the US to keep you from the ARMY!!!!

9. Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Again,

It's a matter of being there (Iraq, Afghanistan, The Balkans) or just talking about "supporting our troops". What's so funny about the Canada bashers is that you can't seem to remember that Canadians are fighting side by side with Americans in Afghanistan & The Balkans. You guys are calling our northern neighbors "faggots"from the comfort of your own homes while Canadian troops are putting their lives on the line everyday, & even dying fighting terrorism. A HUGE hypocrisy on your part. If you really feel this way, why don't you express your views to our troops, (who are in some cases sharing the same foxhole with Canadians, Danes, Norwegians, Swedes, Spaniards, English, Germans, & yes even French), & see what they say to you.

10. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    You mean there are Canadians over there MURDERING civilians? Say it isn't so!

I have the utmost respect for ALL the soldiers, so long as they aren't standing side by side with the USA murdering civilians. I'll let your canadian sidekick decide...