Azerbaijan turns back on Nabucco

christian

Rookie
Jan 18, 2011
I’m working in one of the European newspapers and my editorship is prohibited to develop the theme of the growing conflict with Azerbaijan’s government and the twilight of the Nabucco project. My qualification is not allowing me to keep silence about the question, so I’m going to talk about it even in spite of prohibition.
As you might know Azerbaijan’s SOCAR and Iran’s NIGEC signed a long-term gas contract, it means that Azerbaijan will deliver the biggest part of its gas resources to Iran. And here is the question for Europe and the US – is there enough of Azerbaijan’s gas to satisfy everyone? Well, European experts and economists are holding back something and stretching the truth about the Nabucco gas pipeline, trying to put up a bold front if you like. Ilham Aliev decided to use the gas as a counterargument against Europe and America because of their support of Armenia in the Karabakh conflict – to cut down gas supply for the Nabucco project, which can be loaded only with Azerbijan’s gas. Of course the contract between two companies for now looks like a political decision then economical, but it’s just the beginning. Azerbaijan turned back on the Western world and set its face towards the East.

Approximately 99.2 percent of the population of Azerbaijan is Muslim. They are where they are supposed to be considering their belief does not allow for congruity with other beliefs. Azerbaijani Muslims (Salafi Islamists) and the Iranian seeded majority Shi'a show that Islam is just as fragmented as any other belief system.

Look to the Islamic extremist groups fomenting more in the upcoming years. Islamic Chechen and Turks continue to stream their extremist actors into the arena.

All that progress once made has now retreated by Iranian proxy. Turkey's genocide of Armenians was exacerbated by Azerbaijan who continue killing Armenians under sight.

Soon Afghanistan's corridor will not be necessary and America will drop any and all funds to this Islamist Iranian Shi'a backed country. I see Russia entering the arena when it finally has to do so once again.

Those Shi'a in control of Azerbaijan are considered "Twelvers" along with Achmadinejad in Iran.

Azerbajani Kills Armenian at Peace Program

An Armenian military officer attending a NATO Partnership for Peace program was hacked to death on Thursday morning with an ax and a knife by an Azerbaijani participant, police officials said.

"We suspect Ramil S. of having committed murder with unusual cruelty," Budapest Police Maj. Valter Fulop told reporters. "We say 'unusual cruelty' because beside a number of knife wounds on his chest, the victim's head was practically severed from his body."

The Armenian Defense Ministry identified the suspect as Lt. Ramil Safarov of Azerbaijan and the victim as Lt. Gurgen Markarian of Armenia.

Good that they move from the West. They were never of Western mindset.

I’m working in one of the European newspapers and my editorship is prohibited to develop the theme of the growing conflict with Azerbaijan’s government and the twilight of the Nabucco project. My qualification is not allowing me to keep silence about the question, so I’m going to talk about it even in spite of prohibition.
As you might know Azerbaijan’s SOCAR and Iran’s NIGEC signed a long-term gas contract, it means that Azerbaijan will deliver the biggest part of its gas resources to Iran. And here is the question for Europe and the US – is there enough of Azerbaijan’s gas to satisfy everyone? Well, European experts and economists are holding back something and stretching the truth about the Nabucco gas pipeline, trying to put up a bold front if you like. Ilham Aliev decided to use the gas as a counterargument against Europe and America because of their support of Armenia in the Karabakh conflict – to cut down gas supply for the Nabucco project, which can be loaded only with Azerbijan’s gas. Of course the contract between two companies for now looks like a political decision then economical, but it’s just the beginning. Azerbaijan turned back on the Western world and set its face towards the East.

Azerbaijan currently produces 9 billion m³ of natural gas.
6.6 billion m³ it exports to Turkey through the South-Caucasus-Pipeline, which was constructed parallel to the BTC-oil-Pipeline.

The gas comes from the 1st phase of the Off-Shore Shah-Deniz natural gas field in the Caspian Sea.
This gas field is now being developed into its 2nd project phase, which will probably come online in 2017-18 and there will become approximately another 16 billion m³ of gas available for export through the 2nd phase of the Shah-Deniz project.

From these additional 16 billion m³ per year, Turkey has already purchased 6 billion m³, which would raise annual Azeri gas shipments to Turkey to 12.6 billion m³.

For the rest of the gas (10 Billion m³ per year) available from the 2nd phase of Shah-Deniz field different nations are competing.
It will probably be pumped into the Nabucco. But it can also be, that Azerbaijan will sell the gas in the open market in Turkey, as the State Resource company in Azerbaijan (SOCAR) has applied for a gas-selling licence in the Turkish market and it was granted in January 2011 for a period of 30 years.
AzerNews - SOCAR-Turcas licensed to sell gas in Turkey | Oil & Gas

The licence was awarded to Petkim, which is a petro-chemical company in Turkey and was privatized in 2009 by Turkish State. Azerbaijan's State Resource Company has purchased 51% of the company.

Azerbaijan’s parliament officially ratified on Tuesday a comprehensive agreement on strategic partnership and mutual assistance between Azerbaijan and Turkey, a deal that was reached in principle during an August meeting between Turkish President Abdullah Gul and his Azerbaijani counterpart, Ilham Aliyev.
The agreement reportedly covers an array of issues and consists of nearly two dozen articles, ranging from economic to humanitarian to military-technical cooperation.
But the two most important clauses of the agreement boil down to this — “If one of the sides suffers an armed attack or aggression from a third country or a group of countries, the sides will provide reciprocal aid” and “both countries will cooperate to eliminate threats and challenges to national security.”

Free Article for Non-Members | STRATFOR

Turkish gas ambitions derail EU pipelines
Turkish gas ambitions derail EU pipelines - UPI.com

Turkey said Tuesday it will increase imports of natural gas from Azerbaijan's Shah Deniz II project, potentially threatening European pipeline projects, including the European Union-backed Nabucco, that hope to secure shipments from the field.

Higher volumes to Turkey from Azerbaijan's Shah Deniz II could mark another blow to the EU-backed Nabucco pipeline project.
Read more: Turkey Lifts Azeri Gas Imports; EU Supply Under Threat - FoxBusiness.com

Of the 24 Billion m³ available in Azerbaijan, Turkey is buying 16 Billion m³.

Forum List

Back