AWOL Bush

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nakedemperor, Aug 5, 2004.

1. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Okay so during the Vietnam War George W. Bush used his father's influence to skip a 100+ man waiting list to enter into the Texas National Guard. That's fine, it happens in University Admissions, whatever (except the people who don't get into the universities don't have to risk getting drafted and sent to vietnam where 300+ people are dying a week, at some points). After completing training, Bush requested and immediately recieved a transfer to an Alabama Guard unity in May, 1972. But he never showed up for duty, according to Dannelly Air Force Base commander and the commander's assistant. Military records show that Bush's commanding officers back in Texas reported he did not show up for duty there either for a year. Officially, the period between May 72 and May 73 remains unaccounted for because of missing records.

So here's why I posted this in the War on Terror thread: shouldn't a war-time president be scrutinized when there is LOTS of reason to believe he deserted during a time of war? I mean, AT LEAST find SOMEONE, a pilot, officer, janitor, ANYONE, who corroborates this claim. But he and the RNC haven't been able to do that. Why can't he address this issue difinitively.

Where were you in 72? Apparently the pres doesn't remember.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well, your choice of where to post this, was incorrect. Moving to political

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    bush didn't LEAVE THE COUNTRY. :)

And in the Reserves/Guard, AWOL isn't that big of a deal. :)

4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Dude, I spent nearly two year in the NG after serving nearly 8 years active duty and I cannot remember one name of the guys I served with. Not one. We only met once a month for about 12 hours a day (we were allowed to go home at night unless we were "in the field". So I don't find it all that unusual that somebody might not remember somebody from their NG days. A matter-of-fact, I can hardly remember the names of 2/3 of the people I served with during Desert Shield/Storm and we were together 24 hours a day for nearly a year. Once one gets out of the military, oft times (not always) they prefer to put those days behind them and move forward in life. So again, I am not all that surprised somebody doesn't remember a weekend or two of guard service.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not awol! I'm sick of debunking this. Demos must really be nervous about the swiftboat vets!

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=131

6. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    "shouldn't a war-time president be scrutinized when there is LOTS of reason to believe he deserted during a time of war?"

Bush hasn't been scrutinized on this? This dead horse has been beaten to the point that it is now glue.

Other than that, you don't have all your facts straight, you provide nothing new, and you don't provide any facts, just speculation and accusation. The FACTS point to George W. Bush completing his service in the Guard and getting an honorable discharge. The FACT of the matter is that in 1972, as the war was drawing to a close, it was not unusual for Guard duty to be changed, rescheduled, or dismissed altogether.

Now, what FACT can you provide that Bush was AWOL?

7. Jimmyeatworld

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    That's a good point. I remember a name here and a name there, but only one or two of the people I was friendliest with stand out. There was a guy named Cappeletti, but couldn't tell you his first name to save my life.

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    No reply nakedemporer?

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Maybe he realized where he left his clothes...?

10. Jimmyeatworld

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Of course not. He just went to another area and posted the same crap with the same argument under a different subject line.

Then again, when a thread is moved, is the person that started it notified? Maybe he can't find them.