Avian Flu Update-Not Good News

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Annie, May 23, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Just so you know. Has it jumped? Time will tell:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=aWESsJvt6CFE&refer=asia

2. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    That is shitty.

We talked about the flu's potential devestation in my sociology of medicine class back in the fall. The research our professor gathered suggested if the flu became easily communicable, 1/3 of Americans would become infected and 1/3 of those would die. That puts the death toll at I guess roughly 25 million (or somewhere in that ballpark). The disease would sweep through towns and cities. After a town experienced one outbreak, there would be a latency period, followed by another flare up of the disease. After experiencing the disease twice, towns are expected to be in the clear. Each "flare up" would last about two weeks. All of that was based on whatever data my professor put together.

It would then be expected that public gatherings such as school and sporting events would be canceled for the duration of the outbreak.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060527/ap_on_he_me/indonesia_bird_flu

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I'm willing to bet quite a bit that Theraflu will cut this by a truly significant amount. Also there is evidence that this flu is not as deadly as has been previously ascribed. That many people who have had it simply were not killed by it and never really even went to the doctor....

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think that's Tamiflu? I think that you are correct on the death rate, but isn't that nearly always true of flu counts? The death toll is 'official' because those are the people that went to the doctor? Perhaps they should put a disclaimer:

These stats are probably skewed higher, because people with less serious symptoms do not seek treatment. :smoke:

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Yeah, Tamiflu. You are right. Theraflu is to relieve symptoms. Tamiflu is a anti-retroviral. D'oh!

And yes, people with less serious symptoms don't seek doctors. They have found the antibody for this flu in people who have not sought doctors care. Thus they know that they had the disease, just not to the level of death. Many believe that this particular bird flu does not have the impact that has been related in the Press... (the 4th institution of "goverment" :rolleyes: I guess the fifth would be the I.R.S.) I digress...

They make more money if they get you all afraid, the Press is NOT YOUR FRIEND, they want to make money the promote the fear that will get you to stick with the news holding your breath hoping it just doesn't become airborne...

7. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kathianne again." - The Rep Gods, Just minutes ago....

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree with the press being 'over the top.' Though you will find that the press was late to this game, as journals and such were warning of it much earlier.

Flu in any form kills a significant number of people in any given year. Some flus are worse than others. While I wouldn't get all crazy over this, seems to have a very sharp bite for those susceptible.

9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
  10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770