It still made $8 million yesterday, which is a lot for the first day of the new year, after a long vacation for most people, and for a Monday period.

To put the numbers in perspective:

Titanic was released on the same weekend of the year as Avatar. As of now, Avatar is 124% of where Titanic was at this same point in its run. Yesterday's $8 million is 167% of the same Monday for Titanic.

This movie is showing amazing momentum. If any movie ever had a chance to beat Titanic, this one is it. Return of the King didn't have nearly this strength at this point in its run.

Last edited:
we went yesterday....it seems to be a "must see" film now....and you have people who will see it twice...2d and 3d

i think it will do more than the titanic

I am almost sure it will beat Titanic now.

It's at $1.3 billion including today's estimates. That's a ridiculous amount of money.

To put it in perspective, in its 24th day of release, Titanic had made $197 million domestically. Avatar has made $429 million. It took Titanic 75 days to get that kind of domestic gross.

I have a feeling this movie will be the highest grossing domestic and foreign film, and could possibly gross over $2 billion worldwide before all is said and done. Next weekend should be a successful weekend, because of the holiday. The next few weeks after that will tell us what the potential is, because if it can maintain the same figures Titanic had, it should easily beat Titanic.

Am I the only person who missed Titanic?

The movie I want to see is Nodame Cantabile in Paris. It will take a while for that though.

I speak sarcasm, too.
Your implication is that popularity = bad. Clever, but illogical.
No, I'm saying that just because it's popular, that doesn't mean it's always good.

Like The Olsen Twins.

i have not seen the titanic. avatar is holding strong with everyone. people seeing it more than once...for every person not going..i know 4 going..it seems to be holdings its own

I speak sarcasm, too. Your implication is that popularity = bad. Clever, but illogical.
No, I'm saying that just because it's popular, that doesn't mean it's always good. Like The Olsen Twins.
I know what you were saying, but what I'm saying is that just because it's popular doesn't mean it's always bad.
Like sex.
I get what your saying, but what I'm saying is that just because it's popular, that doesn't mean it's good.

Like Barack Obama.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon
No, I'm saying that just because it's popular, that doesn't mean it's always good. Like The Olsen Twins.
I know what you were saying, but what I'm saying is that just because it's popular doesn't mean it's always bad.
Like sex.
I get what your saying, but what I'm saying is that just because it's popular, that doesn't mean it's good.

Like Barack Obama.

Only because you used Barack Obama as an example will I end this back-and-forth. That guy sucks hardcore.

But Avatar still rules. :cool:

Don't you mean $200 million?

And yes, it will keep going. It will break $2 billion, easily.

Yep $200 mil! Not sure it will break that mark and $2 bill declaration seems well premature. Movies eventually lose their momentum. $200 mil, even worldwide is a lot of butts in the seats.

Yep $200 mil! Not sure it will break that mark and $2 bill declaration seems well premature. Movies eventually lose their momentum. $200 mil, even worldwide is a lot of butts in the seats.

It made $54 million this weekend. It's made over $500 million in the US making it a $200 million profit for the studio even domestically. There will be the trilogy that Cameron wanted.

The Dark Knight stands it's in path next at $533 Million. I have a feeling it could even overtake that before friday, but likely not. But by friday it will.

Being less than $400 million away, it will easily break $2 billion.

It will also break Titanic's domestic total of $600 million if kept in theaters long enough. It's only $95 million away from breaking that (without inflation obviously.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2646&p=.htm

Avatar hovered atop the box office for the fifth weekend in a row, the first time that's happened since The Sixth Sense back in 1999, and it racked up several other milestones in the process. Its total stands at a monumental $505.1 million in 32 days, making it the fastest picture to cross the $500 million mark. The Dark Knight did it in 45 days, while Titanic took 98 days (or 50 days adjusted for ticket price inflation)

Last edited:
There are no "ifs" left. It will beat Titanic domestically, it will beat Titanic worldwide. The question is no longer if, it is when. Estimates have it topping The Dark Knight on Friday, which seem to be pretty accurate based on its daily and weekly holdings. It should beat Titanic's domestic record within a month. The foreign record is hard to say. It was banned in China because it was pulling so much revenue from Chinese films, but China wasn't a major market for the movie. Still, it's almost done in 30 days what it took Titanic 9 months to do. That's damn impressive. It will break $2 billion, very easily.

By the end of the day, Avatar will be the highest grossing movie of all time. It made a staggering $35 million this weekend, way higher than early estimates. It needs only $100 million to beat Titanic worldwide, and foreign numbers haven't been reported in 3 days. When those figures come in, Avatar will be on top.

...not whether Avatar will beat Titanic (they are only $6 mil behind worldwide), its whether it will be the first $2 bil movie.

At $1.836 bil, they are $164 mil away. Still a long way considering its been out so long and produced so much already. I think it will shrug its way passed $2 bil. You have stragglers like me who plan to see it in late Feb.

It will easily break $2 billion. It made $35 million this weekend in the US, and $100 million this weekend overseas. To say it "might" break $2 billion is facetious.

Forum List

Back