Aussie Rules Rocked by Revelations

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
4f864189ea5d0b50bf1d7f87a56d6d7a

Garry and Melissa Lyon, left, and Nicki and Billy Brownless were believed to have been close, often holidaying together

Melbourne football great Garry Lyon has stepped away from all his media commitments and is believed to be battling depression after explosive revelations that he had an affair with the former wife of close friend and The Footy Showcolleague Billy Brownless.

It is understood the 15-year private and professional friendship between the two football titans ended dramatically recently when funnyman Brownless confronted Lyons about the relationship with his former wife Nicky.

Brownless, who split with Nicky last year, is reported to be gutted by the revelation.

Lyon no longer lives with his wife, Melissa, and is said to be living alone.

The two families were believed to have been close, often holidaying together, and Nicky and Melissa were believed to be best friends.

The Nine Network issued a statement confirming that Lyon had stood down as co-host of the The Footy Show and would be seeking treatment for a mental health condition, believed to be depression.

Lyon is the face of Triple Mā€™s AFL football coverage and he appears on the Nine Networkā€™s Footy Classified.

Brownless also has a spot on Triple M on the Rush HouseShow with James Brayshaw.

Nineā€™s managing director, Ian Paterson, described the fallout as a ā€œprivate and personal matterā€ adding Lyon had his full support.

The Footy Show will return next month with Brayshaw as solo host until Lyon returns.

Brownless, photographed at the weekend looking tired and drawn when visiting his daughter in Geelong, opened up last year about his split with Nicky.

The loveable larrikin and media identity who kicked 441 goals for Geelong over 198 games told Fox Footy at the time that life in the ā€œfast laneā€ had contributed to his marriage break-up.

ā€œBecause I think we in the media do get carried away with ourselves,ā€ Brownless said.

ā€œThereā€™s no doubt about that, and we get very selfish or self-absorbed, and itā€™s all about us.

ā€œAnd you do think about your family, your wife or your kids and, later on, when you think about it you think, ā€˜Geez, I shouldā€™ve been a better parent or a husbandā€™.

ā€œI think maybe I am a (better dad), but I couldā€™ve been a better husband.ā€

At the time he said he did not see the marriage breakup coming and was ā€œset back on his heelsā€ when it occurred.

ā€œI didnā€™t see it coming, so that hurt,ā€ he said.

ā€œAnd I took a while to get over it.

ā€œBut youā€™ve got to get back up because thatā€™s what I do, youā€™ve got to be up and bubbly.

ā€œWe all get down, but itā€™s about getting back on the bike.ā€

Brownless said during the interview that he and Nicky were on ā€œgood termsā€.

ā€œAnd the kids, too,ā€ he added.

ā€œItā€™s all fine, but it was just hard to take.ā€

Nocookies

Last edited:

Forum List

Back