Attorney pleads not guilty in witness tampering case

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A well-known criminal defense attorney from the Boston and Cambridge area was charged with witness tampering in federal court Wednesday on accusations he bribed the victim of one of his clients with $2,500 so the victim would not testify in a hate crime case.

Timothy R. Flaherty, son of former state House speaker Charles Flaherty, pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in federal court Wednesday afternoon. He was released without bail and ordered to stay away from the target of the alleged bribe.

Flaherty was set to go to trial this week in an assault case originating in Cambridge District Court, in which his client allegedly assaulted a person and yelled, “You little Muslim . . . you [expletive] terrorist.”

Flaherty allegedly contacted the victim and offered him cash if he would tell authorities he was no longer interested in pursuing the case, according to US Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz’s office, which is prosecuting Flaherty.

Flaherty allegedly later gave the victim $2,500 in cash and encouraged him to ignore calls from authorities, according to prosecutors. Flaherty instructed the victim to tell state prosecutors, “I have no interest in this. I’d have to come to court, I really don’t want anything to do with it. Um, you know the guy had a bad day and I’m just not going to testify,” according to court records.

The victim, who cooperated with investigators, also told Flaherty he had been contacted by the FBI and federal prosecutors who wanted to probe whether the offense was a hate crime. Flaherty told him to ignore those communications as well, according to court records.
Attorney Timothy Flaherty charged with witness tampering in hate crime case US Attorney says - Metro - The Boston Globe

And here is a little something:
Timothy Flaherty may have cut some corners, and he might have made a tactical error if he indeed offered an alleged victim money in order to help his client.

But that’s not necessarily a federal crime.

With Flaherty — a local defense attorney and the son of former House Speaker Charlie Flaherty — facing serious federal charges, other lawyers are scratching their heads.

Criminal defense attorneys offer settlements to accusers every day. With certain offenses, they can offer an accord and satisfaction — a standard procedure where money is offered to make a victim whole outside criminal court.

It takes the case out of the grinding criminal process if the parties agree. Charges are typically dismissed. The victim goes home with a check, and the accused walks away without a blemish on his record.

Now, lawyers want to know where the line is, and whether it’s a federal crime to execute an everyday tactical maneuver.

“I’ve done this countless times. He may have chosen his words poorly, but this is a good, honest lawyer,” said Terrence Kennedy, a criminal defense attorney and current member of the Governor’s Council who is not involved in the case. “I am outraged by the indictment. I’m outraged by the way it was handled. Criminal defense is a minefield, and any of us can get blown up.”

The indictment states, “Defendant Flaherty provided the victim with an envelope containing $2,500 cash and instructed the victim, among other things, that if anyone ‘from the court,’ contacted the victim, ‘just (expletive) ignore it because they will never bother you.’”
McGovern Lawyers decry fed indictment against Timothy Flaherty Boston Herald

My first question is, what crimes?

A well-known criminal defense attorney from the Boston and Cambridge area was charged with witness tampering in federal court Wednesday on accusations he bribed the victim of one of his clients with $2,500 so the victim would not testify in a hate crime case.

Timothy R. Flaherty, son of former state House speaker Charles Flaherty, pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in federal court Wednesday afternoon. He was released without bail and ordered to stay away from the target of the alleged bribe.

Flaherty was set to go to trial this week in an assault case originating in Cambridge District Court, in which his client allegedly assaulted a person and yelled, “You little Muslim . . . you [expletive] terrorist.”

Flaherty allegedly contacted the victim and offered him cash if he would tell authorities he was no longer interested in pursuing the case, according to US Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz’s office, which is prosecuting Flaherty.

Flaherty allegedly later gave the victim $2,500 in cash and encouraged him to ignore calls from authorities, according to prosecutors. Flaherty instructed the victim to tell state prosecutors, “I have no interest in this. I’d have to come to court, I really don’t want anything to do with it. Um, you know the guy had a bad day and I’m just not going to testify,” according to court records.

The victim, who cooperated with investigators, also told Flaherty he had been contacted by the FBI and federal prosecutors who wanted to probe whether the offense was a hate crime. Flaherty told him to ignore those communications as well, according to court records.
Attorney Timothy Flaherty charged with witness tampering in hate crime case US Attorney says - Metro - The Boston Globe

Timothy Flaherty may have cut some corners, and he might have made a tactical error if he indeed offered an alleged victim money in order to help his client.

With Flaherty — a local defense attorney and the son of former House Speaker Charlie Flaherty — facing serious federal charges, other lawyers are scratching their heads.

Criminal defense attorneys offer settlements to accusers every day. With certain offenses, they can offer an accord and satisfaction — a standard procedure where money is offered to make a victim whole outside criminal court.

It takes the case out of the grinding criminal process if the parties agree. Charges are typically dismissed. The victim goes home with a check, and the accused walks away without a blemish on his record.

Now, lawyers want to know where the line is, and whether it’s a federal crime to execute an everyday tactical maneuver.

“I’ve done this countless times. He may have chosen his words poorly, but this is a good, honest lawyer,” said Terrence Kennedy, a criminal defense attorney and current member of the Governor’s Council who is not involved in the case. “I am outraged by the indictment. I’m outraged by the way it was handled. Criminal defense is a minefield, and any of us can get blown up.”

The indictment states, “Defendant Flaherty provided the victim with an envelope containing $2,500 cash and instructed the victim, among other things, that if anyone ‘from the court,’ contacted the victim, ‘just (expletive) ignore it because they will never bother you.’”

If it was a state hate law that was being prosecuted then a monetary settlement was probably a perfectly normal way to resolve it.

Once it escalated to the federal level then if he failed to notify them that he was pursuing a financial settlement and the victim denies that he agreed to a settlement then it would be witness tampering in a federal hate crimes case.

However the feds are going to have to prove that they contacted Flaherty beforehand and told him that is what they were doing and he then went ahead with the settlement anyway. If they didn't then it would be a case of entrapment on their part.

What other ones

If it was a state hate law that was being prosecuted then a monetary settlement was probably a perfectly normal way to resolve it.

Once it escalated to the federal level then if he failed to notify them that he was pursuing a financial settlement and the victim denies that he agreed to a settlement then it would be witness tampering in a federal hate crimes case.

However the feds are going to have to prove that they contacted Flaherty beforehand and told him that is what they were doing and he then went ahead with the settlement anyway. If they didn't then it would be a case of entrapment on their part.

And that would simply be a way to dispose of him on the case at all.

What other ones

Or it could derail their federal hate crime case if it backfires.

What other ones

That's a pretty cutthroat way to deal with a case.

What other ones

If we have all of the facts then it is a really dumb way to proceed. However the media is notorious for not always having all of the facts so before rushing to judgement we need to wait to see what transpires.

What other ones

If we have all of the facts then it is a really dumb way to proceed. However the media is notorious for not always having all of the facts so before rushing to judgement we need to wait to see what transpires.

Agreed.

The media never has all the facts.

Forum List

Back