Attention: Black Parents

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdmiZyyGjQ]YouTube - ‪Top 60 Ghetto Black Names‬‏[/ame]

Parents should consider their kid's future when thinking about such "cultural" names IMO.

For example, if I've got a choice between hiring a black guy named Dennis and another equally qualified black guy with a hard to pronounce and spell name there's no question I'd not hire the latter.

A friend of mine in child welfare required a family to change the name of his daughters (among other things) before he would return the kids. He had named his two daughters.. Phelony & Miranda.

True story. What a douche. CW took the stance that the names would necessarily prevent the girls from any success in life....yes, Miranda is a real name, but in this case, it was used to reference "Miranda rights" and since that was the intent, it was considered child abuse as the children were used to make a statement about the family's proclivity to criminality.

Last edited:
Some stupid parents in the UK have, this week, named their new son 'Like' (as in the 'like' button on Facebook).... apparently they're both facebook fans.

Stupid people are everywhere!

Having said that, my parents blessed us all with very unusual gaelic names... which is cool.

It is a cultural thing where the parents want a name that is euphonious and unique. And it has gone on forever. There was a local politician with the name Penumbra Kelly. There is a local police station named after her.

H L Mencken noted that new parents at the medical school hospital would make the mistake of asking the interns for suggestions, and there were several instances of girls name Placenta.

It is a cultural thing that is going to make the kids life hard in the outside world, but is respected in the community. Lots of American sub cultures have things they do that are bigger drawbacks then a silly name.

Though I think the case worker Allie Baba referenced was absolutely correct in transferring the kids. That really was abuse in that case.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUdaWZ4FN0]YouTube - ‪"Seven" as a Baby's Name‬‏[/ame]

My son goes to school with a China Music and her brother Jazz. True story.

My youngest daughter has never met anyone with the name Michelle but she does know a Kaseba and an Osyana.

I'm partial to more common names. I love the Schwarzenegger kids names: Katherine, Christina, Patrick, Christopher. Yeah, I'm kinda old fashioned with names I guess.

My wife went to a Catholic grade school. One day a new little boy showed up whose family had immigrated from some eastern European country. The nun stood before the class with the new kid by her side to introduce him to his new classmates. She told everyone they were welcoming Arpad Horvath, but since it was such a strange first name to all of them they henceforth would just call him...Jimmy!

Can you imagine what that was like for a little kid? All your short life you've been Arpad and then your folks uproot the family and move to an unfamiliar country where everyone instead calls you by a name that likely sounds as strange to you as the nun thought Arpad was for them.

Japan likes odd names for kids, but the government has regulations on just how odd.
A very common and popular name in Japan is "Snow." Or as they say it Yuki.
A very popular name is Ai, which is a homonym for both Love and Indigo
Midori or Green is also popular.
My great Great grandparents afflicted all their kids with really horrible names. in the generations since then names have been aggressively vanilla.

the only one I remember was my Great Grandfather's. Alby Royal. But I do recall the rest of them were a great deal worse.

My wife went to a Catholic grade school. One day a new little boy showed up whose family had immigrated from some eastern European country. The nun stood before the class with the new kid by her side to introduce him to his new classmates. She told everyone they were welcoming Arpad Horvath, but since it was such a strange first name to all of them they henceforth would just call him...Jimmy!

Can you imagine what that was like for a little kid? All your short life you've been Arpad and then your folks uproot the family and move to an unfamiliar country where everyone instead calls you by a name that likely sounds as strange to you as the nun thought Arpad was for them.

They did that all the time to people at Ellis Island. Our last name was perfunctorarily changed for us in that manner in early early 1900s.

Forum List

Back