Atheists Most Knowledgeable About Religion

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by RDD_1210, Sep 28, 2010.

1. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
  2. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'd say that pretty much makes perfect sense, since most cultures tend to have a fairly significant religious population, and breaking the barrier of what one is taught in childhood requires that one questions and informs himself to make his own decisions apart from societal expectations.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    Couldn't agree more.

4. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Buried in the article, cause we wouldn't want to confuse anyone. :lol:

Not surprisingly, those who said they attended worship at least once a week and considered religion important in their lives often performed better on the overall survey.

5. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    Well yeah, that makes sense too. People that actually participate know more then those who don't. I wonder what the break down is of people who identify themselves as religious but dont go to Church/temple/etc versus those who do.

6. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    That's the antithesis to the title of your thread tho, so which is it?

7. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    Atheists on the whole know more about religion than people who identify themselves as religious. However, not all people who identify themselves as religious actually attend worship services. That's the difference.

8. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I would say that atheists know more about the generalities of religion as it relates to whether or not it is a reasonable choice, but when it comes to knowing the specifics of various doctrine, I would expect that they know much less. Their primary goal is probably to make a decision on whether or not they choose to believe, rather than choosing what doctrine to follow.

9. p kirkes

p kirkes VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Making the rounds of the media is the just released PEW Religious Survey Results.

Conclusion, Americans are religiously illiterate, ( I've overstated it a bit).

After several tries I was able to take the 15 question survey and scored 12 right.

I miss three questions about Hindu and Buddaism. Oh Well, at least I knew when the Sabath began and I'm not Jewish, but I did stay at a motel 6 recently.

Regards,

Threads Merged

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  10. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I knew SOMEONE would be blathering about this. Did you see the example of the "religion question" they gave for Protestants?

More than half of Protestants could not identify Martin Luther as the person who inspired the Protestant Reformation.

That's not knowing about religion. That's knowing about history, and it's not the history of MY religion. (Although I did happen to know about Martin Luther. This sentence sounds as though there it was a one-time deal.)

I'm not all that surprised that a lot of Catholics aren't aware that communion isn't symbolic according to church doctrine. Most Catholic churches in my experience don't talk about it a lot these days. And non-Orthodox Jews strike me as a rather secular group in general.

What puzzles me is why atheists bother to know so much about something they disbelieve in and don't have any outside compulsion to know. They keep trying to pass it off as just a passive disbelief, but it sounds like they're really working at it (and Lord knows, they evangelize about it enough) that it sounds like a religious belief to ME.