Atheists are hoping aliens from outer space will contact us...

There you go again, but this time, you're squaring around and bunting...

You're just waiting to see which side takes a lead, so you can team up with them.

It's ok for you to want to get a group to circle-jerk each other.

But it's not how I roll...

We all have to understand our place in this world. And what we can do to make it better. It can be by maintaining the status quo, or wanting something better.

And in the case of institutionalized religions, we should want something better. Because what they give us, are the reasons we have most of the major problems in this world.

Now, how can that get better?

Certainly not with us fools debating with each other on a forum.

It can only happen with enlightenment. Which brings us back to the OP... It's the only way it can happen, where people will start opening their eyes and drop their birth religions and fundamentalist views.

It's suggested that we should find conclusive evidence of ET-life in the next 10 years. It may not be intelligent, but it will show that life is not exclusive to Earth. Which can set the foundation for a new reality, and hope.

Well no, I'm not bunting or switch-hitting or whatever dumb analogy you'd like to make. I am speaking philosophically over your head, which isn't very hard to do, to be perfectly honest.

Now... let's discuss this concept you've presented about "better" and what that means exactly? Better than what? Better in what sense? By what measure are you determining what is or isn't "better" for all of mankind? Is this from some sense of "good" that you are ordained with which none of the rest of us have? And what IS "good"? And what IS "evil"?

To me, these are all arbitrary criteria which are essentially rooted in our spiritual foundations. Your ideas of what constitutes "good" or "better" or "best" may be completely different from mine. Your ideas aren't validated simply because you believe they are true and neither are mine.

Hitler thought it was "better" and "good" to exterminate 7 million Jews. The 19 hijackers on 9/11 thought it was "better" and "good" to fly airplanes into the WTC buildings. Their ideas weren't validated because they believed them to be true.
Dude, what you have done, from the beginning of our discussions, is to pick a side to debate.

You told me that you do that, even when you don't agree with that position. You just want to debate.

And that's cool. But you can't do it to me over and over again, because I see how you switch. And being a baseball fan, I like to use baseball analogies on your posting style.

Now, I never change. Nor do most of the people here. However, you post what would seem to be most rosier to your agenda. Which is getting likes and happy faces.

You are not smarter than anyone here, you need to learn from people here...

And when I speak of "better", I mean a place that doesn't fear other religions. A place without zealots, that will let you be as you are and grow as you should.

Not a place where fear-mongers tell you what you must believe in, and are damned if you don't... Those people are the problems. And you defend them. To continue your debate with me and/or others. You keep changing sides, so I don't know what you truly think.
A name has been given to describe people who always like to take the opposing view on the internet for the sake of argument and it's called trolling...so they are TROLLS.

Last edited:
Why do you think we are alone?

I can explain why I think we're alone... or virtually alone, in the sense there is probably no other "life as we know it" out there.

It's because our unique set of circumstances resulted in what we have. There are hundreds, if not thousands of variables which culminate in bringing about "life as we know it" on this planet.

What are the mathematical odds or probability that you could be sitting in Las Vegas and I could be in Atlantic City at poker tables and we would both be drawing the same exact hands at the same time, and this would repeat through thousands of hands? I would say that's a remarkably slim possibility... nearly impossible. Even if you had thousands or millions of people sitting at poker tables around the world, the probability that any two would be consistently drawing the same exact hands repeatedly is near impossible.

In order to have "life as we know it" anywhere else, there are so many circumstantial conditions that have to be met in precise order it makes it a near mathematical impossibility. It takes much more than simply having a rock in the Goldilocks Zone.

Now... microbial life? Plant life? Primitive forms of life? Yeah, that's possible.... but actual intelligent beings such as humans? That's a whole different ball of wax. For instance, you have to realize something.... Had there never been a mass extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs, large mammals such as humans would've never existed here. We could have never evolved. So just that one circumstantial event changed the course of evolution and helped create "life as we know it" on Earth.

All land-based life emerged from our oceans... But life doesn't exist in a stagnant ocean. What enabled life in our oceans was the presence of a moon which caused tides and a wobbly rotation of the planet which created "seasons" on our planet and oceanic convection. So you're going to need to find another "water world" in the Goldilocks Zone, with a substantial moon close enough to create tides and the planet needs a wobbly rotation to cause seasons. That's just for the basic starter conditions of life to form. The course of that life's evolution will depend on thousands of other circumstances and variables, some of which are very delicate and important.
If humans never evolved this planet would still have life on it.

I'm sure their evolutionary path is different from ours

Yea, we evolved from a primordial soup after lightning struck and, somehow, life began. We were once a single cell amoeba and evolved into what we are now. In time we'll grow wings to fly!
Compare that theory with your ridiculous hypothesis that a god poofed fully grown land animals into existence

Once upon a time there was no universe. In fact, there was nothing at all. Then, the universe created itself and then mankind appeared from out of the blue. Anyone who thinks differently is insane.
What did god do 20 billion years ago? How about 50? There was nothing? I doubt that.

And you can't tell us anything about the days before our universe started

God? No. I told you, everything came from nothing. Why is that so hard to believe? Don't you believe in science?
You clearly don't get science.

And it's funny that you have all the answers. You say you know! God did it! And then you have the balls to mock? We don't claim to know you do. And how do you know? Your 2000 year old religion told you? What a fucking retard

Once upon a time there was no universe. In fact, there was nothing at all. Then, the universe created itself and then mankind appeared from out of the blue. Anyone who thinks differently is insane.
What did god do 20 billion years ago? How about 50? There was nothing? I doubt that.

God? No. I told you, everything came from nothing. Why is that so hard to believe? Don't you believe in science?
Science doesn't say that. Please try again.
But he's been taught to hate science and to mock it because it calls bullshit on their creation story

Feel free to present your theory. I could use a good laugh.
Science is still looking for the answers, and doesn't PRETEND to know like you do.
That's what I said! This guy is mocking theories but his story that he says is fact is ridiculous.

And it's funny that you have all the answers. You say you know! God did it! And then you have the balls to mock? We don't claim to know you do. And how do you know? Your 2000 year old religion told you? What a fucking retard

Go fukc your dad a$$hole.

From the Arizona desert
To the Salisbury plain
Lights on the horizon
Patterns on the grain
Anxious eyes turned upward
Clutching souvenirs
Carrying our highest hopes and our darkest fears

They swear there was an accident back in '47
Little man with a great big head
Splattered down from heaven
Government conspiracy; cover-ups and lies
Hidden in the desert under endless skies

Well, it's a cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold
Post, postmodern world
No time for heroes, no place for good guys
No room for rocky the flying squirrel

They're not here, they're not coming
Not in a million years
Turn your weary eyes back homeward
Stop your trembling, dry your tears
You may see the heavens flashing
You may hear the cosmos humming
But I promise you, my brother

Would they pile into the saucer
Find Orlando's rat and hug it?
Go screaming through the universe
Just to get Mcnuggets?
Well, I don't think so, I don't think so
It's much too dangerous, it's much too strange
Here in a world that won't give Oprah no home on the range

Post, postmodern world
No authenticity, no sign of soul
The radio won't play George and Merle

Not in a million years
'Til we put away our hatred
'Til we lay aside our fears
But I promise you, my sister

To this garden we were given
And always took for granted
It's like my daddy told me, 'you just bloom where you're planted'
Now you long to be delivered
From this world of pain and strife
That's a sorry substitution for a spiritual life

Post, postmodern world
No place for sentiment, no room for romance
Bring back the duke of earl

Not in a million years
Turn your hopes back homeward
Hold your children, dry their tears

Not in a million years
'Til we put away our hatred
And lay aside our fears

By Don Henley

Science is still looking for the answers, and doesn't PRETEND to know like you do.
That's what I said! This guy is mocking theories but his story that he says is fact is ridiculous.

What did I say was a fact, kunt?

What did I say was a fact, kunt?

That god poofed fully formed adult animals into existence. That the first land animals weren't born they were poofed.

If you disagree then you admit all land creatures all eventually evolved into the land animals they are today but originally their ancestors crawled out from the water.

I'm just assuming if you subscribe to the creation story then you also deny evolution

ooh guess that romance is over huh?

ooh guess that romance is over huh?
What verse and chapter does it say go fuck your dad? No biggy. Jesus already forgave him. He doesn't even have to be sorry. Is he? No he's not sorry.

I can explain why I think we're alone... or virtually alone, in the sense there is probably no other "life as we know it" out there.

It's because our unique set of circumstances resulted in what we have. There are hundreds, if not thousands of variables which culminate in bringing about "life as we know it" on this planet.

What are the mathematical odds or probability that you could be sitting in Las Vegas and I could be in Atlantic City at poker tables and we would both be drawing the same exact hands at the same time, and this would repeat through thousands of hands? I would say that's a remarkably slim possibility... nearly impossible. Even if you had thousands or millions of people sitting at poker tables around the world, the probability that any two would be consistently drawing the same exact hands repeatedly is near impossible.

In order to have "life as we know it" anywhere else, there are so many circumstantial conditions that have to be met in precise order it makes it a near mathematical impossibility. It takes much more than simply having a rock in the Goldilocks Zone.

Now... microbial life? Plant life? Primitive forms of life? Yeah, that's possible.... but actual intelligent beings such as humans? That's a whole different ball of wax. For instance, you have to realize something.... Had there never been a mass extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs, large mammals such as humans would've never existed here. We could have never evolved. So just that one circumstantial event changed the course of evolution and helped create "life as we know it" on Earth.

All land-based life emerged from our oceans... But life doesn't exist in a stagnant ocean. What enabled life in our oceans was the presence of a moon which caused tides and a wobbly rotation of the planet which created "seasons" on our planet and oceanic convection. So you're going to need to find another "water world" in the Goldilocks Zone, with a substantial moon close enough to create tides and the planet needs a wobbly rotation to cause seasons. That's just for the basic starter conditions of life to form. The course of that life's evolution will depend on thousands of other circumstances and variables, some of which are very delicate and important.

It may have life but it likely wouldn't be intelligent life. Certainly their evolutionary path would be different. Again, my argument remains "life as we know it" is extremely rare and may be non existent elsewhere. Life capable of technology and science is only present here because something wiped out the dinosaurs.

Why can theists accept god made man out of dirt or sand but "something from nothing" is stumping them?

I find it fascinating that the leading theory of "abiogenesis" posits that minerals in the moisture of early earth clay became electrically charged and this activated the initial process of life. Juxtapose this with the Biblical explanation... "God spat in the dust".... (moisture in the dust, i.e., clay.)

Yea, we evolved from a primordial soup after lightning struck and, somehow, life began. We were once a single cell amoeba and evolved into what we are now. In time we'll grow wings to fly!

Actually, we have. Just took science.

...and tell us there's no God.

That is why scientists like Carl Sagan so eagerly tell us there MUST be life on other planets, but it's a wish, there is no science to back up his claims.

So far, after decades of listening with radio telescopes, the skies have been totally silent.

Either aliens don't exist at all anywhere in the universe, or they are so far away their transmissions will never reach us.

And in either case, we will never have aliens visit us.

We are probably alone.
I think there is life on other planets, but most is of the order of magnitude of slime or single cell organisms

Intelligent life takes precise climatic conditions that don't exist through most of the universe.
Possibly, but that's still a very human-centric view of the universe. We have no idea what the universe is capable of yet in terms of life and intelligence. Just our own little observations in a microscopic solar system, when compared to the rest.

Most life is probably microbial and slimy. But given the amount of time intelligent life-forms have to learn science and tech, there is no reason to say that aliens will never visit us. Because once we figure it out, we'll be doing the same.

Our human limitations at this time, cannot be used as the rule for the universe.

So here's my thing with ETUFO's. We'll eventually learn the tech necessary to visit other solar systems. It may take a long time to develop that technology, but I don't think anyone can disagree that we will eventually figure something out.

The universe is 9 billion years older than our solar system. Considering that we went from being grounded on earth, to having spacecraft exiting our solar system, in 130 years, is an amazing thing. Especially when we've been killing each other and destroying knowledge for our first 6000 years of civilization over religion. We always have to start anew. And we're at this point of technology, after about 130 years of development without destruction.

Give another planet with similar intelligent evolution, but no religious flushing of information, a 1000 year head start on us, and consider what they could do. They would be Gods to us. Geez, give a planet a million year head start on us... Or a billion... Point is that we have no idea what science is capable of.

So saying that aliens visiting Earth is impossible, because we humans cannot yet visit other solar systems, assumes we are the pinnacle of the universe. And I really disagree with that. :)

You're absolutely right! On another note, I've got a GREAT deal on a bridge for you. Interested?

The funny thing is if the Bible told him we evolved from a primordial soup after lightening struck, he'd believe it.

Instead he believes god made man from sand and later mede Eve from Adams rib. Because his ancient primitive elders told him so

So here's my thing with ETUFO's. We'll eventually learn the tech necessary to visit other solar systems. It may take a long time to develop that technology, but I don't think anyone can disagree that we will eventually figure something out.

The universe is 9 billion years older than our solar system. Considering that we went from being grounded on earth, to having spacecraft exiting our solar system, in 130 years, is an amazing thing. Especially when we've been killing each other and destroying knowledge for our first 6000 years of civilization over religion. We always have to start anew. And we're at this point of technology, after about 130 years of development without destruction.

Give another planet with similar intelligent evolution, but no religious flushing of information, a 1000 year head start on us, and consider what they could do. They would be Gods to us. Geez, give a planet a million year head start on us... Or a billion... Point is that we have no idea what science is capable of.

So saying that aliens visiting Earth is impossible, because we humans cannot yet visit other solar systems, assumes we are the pinnacle of the universe. And I really disagree with that. :)
Yeah given the size of the universe, undoubtedly there are aliens out there and in different phases of evolution but that said, humankind will probably never know because long before that happens they'll have blown each other up. Therefore, it's doubtful they'll ever find out.

Forum List

Back