~Asking A Cop A Question~

There are 3 things you should say if pulled over by a cop with an attitude...and ONLY three:

1) "Am I being detained?"
2) "Am I free to go"
3) "I do not grant you permission to search my vehicle"

On the other hand, if you've broken a traffic law and going to get a ticket anyway, suck it up, keep your mouth shut and pay the fine.

Oh...here's something about them that really pisses me off.....when they wanna ask us a question.
The first damn question out of their mouth as they approach your door...or are waiting for you to hand them your license and stuff......is "Where are you going??"

What the hell is it to them??!?!?!?

God...that burns me big time......

When my Aunt passed away in 2009....the funeral was way up in Illinois...and I, of course living in Tennesse, have Tennessee tags.
I was speeding on the interstate on my way home...I was at the bottom of the state now....headed south.....and a state trooper pulled me over.
He asks me where I was going.
I said HOME.......he goes.....where would that be??
DUH.....I am in the state of Illinois.....my tags say Tennessee..my driver's license and insurance papers say Tennessee......I wanted to pull a Bill Engvall and say to him "Here's your sgn" ~LoL~

In my business, they call it "contempt of cop."

I would say probably 90% of the police officers I have met have the capability to be nice guys so long as they are not challenged in any way. You dance to their tune, and they are very pleasant. The minute that changes, however, you are in huge trouble, depending largely upon your appearance.

If you want to act like an Adam Henry (a police term - you figure it out) with a cop, and you are driving a Lexus and are dressed well (and, preferably, are white), you will be hassled. The cop will get rude with you, order you around in a manner designed to anger you, write you for stuff he never stopped you for and generally mess with you as much as he can, topping it off with the obligatory, "have a nice day" as he shoves the ticket in your face.

Same facts, but you are driving an old junk heap, are a member of a minority race, already have a record and you lay an attitude on the cop, at the very least, you will be arrested and probably shoved around if not beaten to a pulp.

You might say this doesn't happen. If you do, be sure you can base it upon something, because I can sure base what I am saying on something - I am a long time public defender.

There is no benefit to being rude and when a driver flunks the attitude test the officer may find that behavior threatening. What happens next may not be pretty.

My advice, give the officer your license, registration and proof of insurance. The citation will let you know which Vehicle Code Violation you have been alleged to have committed. Sign the tag and be on your way. If you feel the tag was in error, protest the ticket - even if it is legit, protest the tag.

Oh...here's something about them that really pisses me off.....when they wanna ask us a question.
The first damn question out of their mouth as they approach your door...or are waiting for you to hand them your license and stuff......is "Where are you going??"

Not in California. Here, it's: "Are you on probation or parole?" Why do they ask that? Because, in California, anyone on probation or parole has what is called a "search waiver condition," which means that they, their car and/or their home, can be searched at any time by any peace officer, with or without a warrant and with or without probable cause.

This (probation or parole search waiver conditions) is an unconstitutional abridgement of the 4th Amendment, in spite of endorsement by appellate courts.

If the driver is on probation or parole, game over. Out of the car, sit on the curb, car search, etc.

I would say probably 90% of the police officers I have met have the capability to be nice guys so long as they are not challenged in any way. You dance to their tune, and they are very pleasant. The minute that changes, however, you are in huge trouble, depending largely upon your appearance.

If you want to act like an Adam Henry (a police term - you figure it out) with a cop, and you are driving a Lexus and are dressed well (and, preferably, are white), you will be hassled. The cop will get rude with you, order you around in a manner designed to anger you, write you for stuff he never stopped you for and generally mess with you as much as he can, topping it off with the obligatory, "have a nice day" as he shoves the ticket in your face.

Same facts, but you are driving an old junk heap, are a member of a minority race, already have a record and you lay an attitude on the cop, at the very least, you will be arrested and probably shoved around if not beaten to a pulp.

You might say this doesn't happen. If you do, be sure you can base it upon something, because I can sure base what I am saying on something - I am a long time public defender.

There is no benefit to being rude and when a driver flunks the attitude test the officer may find that behavior threatening. What happens next may not be pretty.

My advice, give the officer your license, registration and proof of insurance. The citation will let you know which Vehicle Code Violation you have been alleged to have committed. Sign the tag and be on your way. If you feel the tag was in error, protest the ticket - even if it is legit, protest the tag.

Totally agree. Cops can be real assholes. And they are in control. Dance to their tune. If they screw with you, smile politely, take whatever they give you and then file a complaint.

Want to know how to really mess with them? In California (and I would assume in other states as well) a cited driver can request that the citation be returned to the county seat. That means that, instead of going to the cop's local court, the ticket will be heard at the county seat. If the county seat is far from the cop's local area, half the time they don't take the trouble to show up. Move for a dismissal. If they do show up, they had to make the trip. You messed with 'em. Win/Win.

And they have the right to search your car, your person, to put handcuffs on you, and to make you pretty fucking miserable.

It's best just to hold your tongue.

The only way they can search our vehicle, is if they have probable cause. They can't just pull you over to search, just because they feel like it.
Altho I'm sure...some asswipe coppers might do it....make up some shit ass reason......don't get me started on cop bashing *ha*
They have to be suspecting something...or tipped off..and nothing like that sure as hell won't be happening with me.

"Probable cause" is a very fluid thing....

Totally agree. Cops can be real assholes.
And they are in control. Dance to their tune. If they screw with you, smile politely, take whatever they give you and then file a complaint.

Want to know how to really mess with them? In California (and I would assume in other states as well) a cited driver can request that the citation be returned to the county seat. That means that, instead of going to the cop's local court, the ticket will be heard at the county seat. If the county seat is far from the cop's local area, half the time they don't take the trouble to show up. Move for a dismissal. If they do show up, they had to make the trip. You messed with 'em. Win/Win.

Thank you.....you understand how I feel..and how I think, that's what I wanted ~LoL~
Even tho I know I break the law sometimes......I don't wish for them to be pricks to me.

Not in California. Here, it's: "Are you on probation or parole?" Why do they ask that? Because, in California, anyone on probation or parole has what is called a "search waiver condition," which means that they, their car and/or their home, can be searched at any time by any peace officer, with or without a warrant and with or without probable cause.

This (probation or parole search waiver conditions) is an unconstitutional abridgement of the 4th Amendment, in spite of endorsement by appellate courts.

If the driver is on probation or parole, game over. Out of the car, sit on the curb, car search, etc.

Not all persons on probation have a S&S condition.

~LoL~

Attachments

• $copper.jpg
    $copper.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 52
If you have a rude cop you are far better off making a complaint later.

During the stop you aren't going to win a pissing contest and you have a lot to lose.

Not all persons on probation have a S&S condition.

That has not been my experience. It used to be that a S&S condition could not be imposed unless there was some nexus between the S&S condition and the facts of the case, i.e., if the defendant was convicted of possession of narcotics where they were hidden somewhere in his car or wherever, a S&S condition made sense; if the defendant was convicted of something like simple battery, then a S&S condition would make no sense, and would not be upheld on appeal.

Then, as our courts (at least the ones in California) began swinging more and more to the right, it began to dawn on our bench cowboys that here was a really powerful tool for snaring more and more people in the network of the criminal justice system, so they began imposing S&S conditions in every probation case, regardless of the nature of the crime or the facts of the case. Someone took that up on appeal and our appellate courts, bowing to the hang-'em-high political mood of this great state, said, OK - have at it.

And so, S&S conditions are imposed in ALL probation cases. They have long been mandatiory when someone is on parole. I suppose there may be the isolated judicial officer who still has a semblance of a sense of fair play, which may account for the occasional lack of S&S conditions in a probation case. By in large, however, it is a universal practice now.

Yet another indication of how our courts continue to find ways to deny Constitutional rights to those accused of crime. You want fair? Don't ever get involved with the criminal justice system. "Fair" went out the window with the Warren Court.

When pulled over by the coppers......would we get in trouble if we asked them something like "What the fuck did you pull me over for??"

I had someone tell me that we could cuss at them, say just about anything...but not call them pigs.
Because I am a sarcastic person...and I tend to gripe at them....I have used a bad word in front of them before...but never asked "What the fuck did I do??"
~LoL~

If you used those words, then I'd imagine you would end up with more than a fine for your troubles! I see nothing wrong in asking them why they pulled you over, so long as you are polite.
If they refuse to tell you why you were pulled over, then I dunno what you would do then.

When pulled over by the coppers......would we get in trouble if we asked them something like "What the fuck did you pull me over for??"

I had someone tell me that we could cuss at them, say just about anything...but not call them pigs.
Because I am a sarcastic person...and I tend to gripe at them....I have used a bad word in front of them before...but never asked "What the fuck did I do??"
~LoL~

It is generally rude to use foul language when talking or asking questions. And while I believe the public should be able to freely question law enforcement, doing so in many States, especially in Texas, could result in death:

In Texas, the people have no civil rights contra public servants: An officer can harass and even kill you for almost no probable cause in Texas and get away with it because of the Texas Tort Claims Act - CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE  CHAPTER 101. TORT CLAIMS

In Texas, the people only have civil rights under Federal law such as 42 USC section 1983. Therefore, it is wise to calmly question law enforcement in Texas or simply receive citation and then state your case in court, however wrong you think the officer is. Dragging people to jail without just cause and wrongful killings by Texas law enforcement is norm in Texas.

~LoL~

It is generally rude to use foul language when talking or asking questions. And while I believe the public should be able to freely question law enforcement, doing so in many States, especially in Texas, could result in death:

In Texas, the people have no civil rights contra public servants: An officer can harass and even kill you for almost no probable cause in Texas and get away with it because of the Texas Tort Claims Act - CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE**CHAPTER 101. TORT CLAIMS

In Texas, the people only have civil rights under Federal law such as 42 USC section 1983. Therefore, it is wise to calmly question law enforcement in Texas or simply receive citation and then state your case in court, however wrong you think the officer is. Dragging people to jail without just cause and wrongful killings by Texas law enforcement is norm in Texas.

I don't like the Texas criminal justice system any more than anyone else, but I think this is a bit much.

The solution: attack their union, cut their funding, limit their numbers. This will cut down on the number of arrogant cops hasseling people because they have authority.

Same solution : Vote republican.

Don't roll your window down all the way, just enough to have a conversation. Say: "You pulled me over just to ask me that?"

Then as was already posted say "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?"

The way you talk to people, especially people in roles of authority and even those who are not, says a lot about your character.
They're not "Authorities" they're servants. They are to Protect and Serve.

Simply be polite. Saves everyone a lot of time. If you were wrong, just so. If he acts stupid, simply take it to the judge and tell him/her what happened. That will pull in the city attorney as well as the cop, taking them away from other things they want to do. Be assertive but polite.

Forum List

Back