Ask a trucker.

Why do truck drivers always feel the need to drive side by side for miles and miles down a four lane highway (two lanes going both directions) especially when there are dozens of vehicles lined up behind them?

Immie

PS Yes, this tends to piss me off!

Is there anything truckers can do to reduce the amount of backwash?

I know there's mudflaps, but then there seem to be MUDFLAPS.

By backwash, do you mean turbulence?

If so I have good news. Some carriers are adopting a trailer under-ride guard and rear trailer fairings that are supposed to improve aerodynamics thereby reducing turbulence at the back of the trailer.

If it saves fuel, you'll see a lot more in the future.

mvt1thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
It's cool when I flash my lights to let the trucker know it's ok to get back in the right-hand lane. Then he (she) blinks the truck's tail lights to say "thanks".

Yeah, if I see an onramp coming up, I'll slow down in the fast lane to give a truck room to move into my lane and avoid the merging traffic.

By backwash, do you mean turbulence?

If so I have good news. Most carriers are adopting a trailer under-ride guard and rear trailer fairings that are supposed to improve aerodynamics thereby reducing turbulence at the back of the trailer.

mvt1thumbnail.jpg

I don't mind turbulance.

I mean all the snow-n-shit that completely whites over my windshield while a truck passes me.

11 hours a day?

When did that change?

Use to be 8 hours when I was driving. And you had to keep logs to show them at the weigh stations.

But that was many moons ago. Back in the days of "Lot Lizards".

I think it was 2006.

It is now 11 hours on duty then a required 10 hour off duty break.

Also there is a 14 hour rule...14 hours from the time you first go on duty after a 10 hour break, you are required to go off duty, regardless of how many hours you have driven.

So if you start your day at 6 am, you must park by 8 pm.

Ah.

Do they still do logging the same way? Honor system?

I use to go to the "Iron Skillet" for rest stops. From what I remember it was an awesome place..showers..stick to your ribs food..just about everything a trucker could want.

Miss the long trips. Especially at sunset. Never seen anything so pretty as a sunsetting over the road.

Yes and no on the logs, most are still on the honor system, but some companies have gone to an electronic log that works via GPS.

Iron Skillet's are still open at Petro Truck Plazas across the country. Most are still pretty good places to stop.

Why do y'all drive like shit?

I don't know about England but I find most truck drivers here to be safer and more courteous than the majority of others on the road.

There are some really good truck drivers and some really bad truck drivers, just like cars.

From my observations, most long haul truckers (trucks with sleepers on them) try to be professional and courteous.

Don't ride his ass in a rain storm genius.

Do you even have a license to drive?

I was actually hoping for an adult to answer: I'm convinced that some trucks leave less backwash when passing than others, but wondered if this was my imagination or if there are different ways to reduce backwash.

Oh, spray.

I really don't know...and I hate spray as much as anyone, it affects us almost as much as it affects you.

I can tell you that when trucks pass each other where road and/or weather conditions cause spray, they leave a lot more room before moving back into the granny lane (far right lane).

I'll look into it and see what I can find out.

What is the hairiest Interstate Outside of cities?

I'm driving down I 80 from Cheyenne to SLC and pass tipped trucks and trailors on both fucking sides of the HWY.

Don't ride his ass in a rain storm genius.

Do you even have a license to drive?

I was actually hoping for an adult to answer: I'm convinced that some trucks leave less backwash when passing than others, but wondered if this was my imagination or if there are different ways to reduce backwash.

Oh, spray.

I really don't know...and I hate spray as much as anyone, it affects us almost as much as it affects you.

I can tell you that when trucks pass each other where road and/or weather conditions cause spray, they leave a lot more room before moving back into the granny lane (far right lane).

I'll look into it and see what I can find out.

Since you guys are sitting about 5 ft higher than the average sedan, its hard to believe that spray effects you "almost as much as" other drivers. I'm happy I'm in a 4 wheel drive pickup, but cannot imagine being in something like a Toyota Corrola cruising at 60 mph down a hwy with 5" snow while a truck passes me at 61 mph.

I have a good friend who is a truck driver. She has been driving a truck for over 10 years. She has two children. She is a real mother trucker!

It's cool when I flash my lights to let the trucker know it's ok to get back in the right-hand lane. Then he (she) blinks the truck's tail lights to say "thanks".

Excellent point Me. H.

Not only to truckers appreciate this immensely, it is also good for every driver to understand this signal.

I've lost track of how many times I've flashed a four wheeler coming down an on ramp to signal "I see you, I'm slowing down, go ahead and merge" and they just keep slowing down, not recognizing the communication.

Now I've slowed down (and it will take me awhile to get back up to speed if I'm fully loaded) and I've slowed the vehicles behind me, tightening traffic and making the merging that much more difficult.

Whom do you drive for? I work for J.B. Hunt, so I'm just curious. We just awarded a driver for reaching 4,000,000 miles, which takes roughly 35 years.

What's your opinion on Tandem trucks?

They look like a pure-d bitch to drive.

I've never driven a tractor-trailer..only step vans and straight line jobs. Those were tough in the city..but nice on the highways. But, everything is magnified when you got a full load. And you can feel it too..especially when you have to stop or climb a hill. You really have to concentrate on everything. I can't imagine driving a fully loaded tandem truck.

Forum List

Back