Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts' started by freedombecki, Jul 13, 2011.

1. beautress

beautress Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,624
    Hero Star Quilt

upload_2019-9-20_16-49-48.jpg
    I completed the borders on a quilt I used to call "Hero Star", except the one I made this past week has 4 light-colored centers and 4 light-colored corner squares, with the red star points representing the solar flares around the star. In the light areas, instead of using exclusively red and white, I used blended pale pastels of every description on it, and put a 3" border of red 1x3" strips on top and bottom, with a cute pale zoo print around the outside edge to separate the tips of the star points from the red strips top and bottom. I found a huge red dot print, which reminded me of Minnie Mouse's favorite outfit, so I put that all the way around the outside border. I know I outdid myself on the one upstairs waiting to go to the charity bee's closet. It measures only 33" by 48" but that's a good size for a crib, and it's also a good size for a senior wheelchair quilt. Hopefully, it will be sent where it is needed the most when someone quilts the top. I like to make them pretty so the quilters will enjoy participating in completing a work of art for a poor kid or lonely shut-in.

Yesterday, I took 7 baby quilt tops to the recently retired fire chief, who is son of my friend EJ who died recently. EJ had been a volunteer fireman in the county for 44 years, so his step son took a liking for what firemen do, and in his time, the county was hiring firemen for real wages, and he was really good and knowledgable about fires and running a fire department for a huge Texas County that now hosts 17,000 university students. 120,000 prison inmates, and probably 60,000 county citizens. Most of them work for TDOC (Texas Department of Corrections), lots of farmers, ranchers, and tall pine tree growers, teachers for the university and all the children of this community

I already have enough blocks for another quilt or two made up of red and pastel log cabins, a quilt or two in 6" sqares made of six 1x6.5" strips that will be arranged in North/South and East/West strips that yield a woven effect sometimes. One reason why my quilt won't quite go there is because no two squares are alike most of the time, and there are as many squares with light and dark values not to mention strip texture variations. So two quilts are done, And one is about 4 hours away from being a finished top.I wish I knew how to use the new desk copier, but it has been gathering dust for a year. I think I lost most of my ambition when my husband died June 13, 2016, and my friend EJ dying june 24 this year didn't improve anything here. The stack of quilts I just turned over to his step son the old fire chief, 4 of them had Fireman printed fabrics on them--red vintage fire truck fabric, safety caution signs, and three pieces of firefighters, firefighting insignias on red and firefighting insignias on blue. Two days ago, I finished a red quilt that went into the pile. Now my Charity pile has 3 quilts on it, with 2 more in the closely-finished category. I'm glad I found an old "Hero star" because I'm making another one that has all squares complete. Oh, wait. there's also another made up of all red-and-pastel mix light and dark colors in it.

Well, my allergy meds have me sleepy, so after my nap, I look forward to putting another quilt together, even if it gets put off till tomorrow. Hope drop ins will bring a picture of their family quilt and show it. WE love all kinds of quilt, and i have a library that allows me to name quit squares. So early nighters. :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,624
    [​IMG]

I found a sample of a 1" strip quilt made the year I completed 110 tops for Charity bees. Maybe in 2020 I can manage to do that again, with 100 tops as my goal. It's hard when you're a widow, to stay inspired. My husband was an inspiration for 44 years of our marriage. He made life so easy I could do art quilts all day every day when I wanted to. He was also my photographer up until his dementia symptoms made handling a camera a trial by confusion for him, bless his sweet soul to heaven.​

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,624
    Completed the purple-sashed charitybee quilt today. Finished two over the weekend. They're all light log cabins with blue centers and blue sashing, green sashing, and today's purple one. The stack now has 8 in it. :woohoo:

Edit out: ~

4. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,624
    Walked by the sewing desk this morning to see what I was working on, and nope! Nothing!
    As the artist stared at his blank piece of canvas, he thought, "today is the first day I can start painting the best picture ever painted!" ~~~ And sometimes that takes a day or two to figure out, So next time I go to the desk, hopefully it will be with a no-fail plan to make a fatherless child a small quilt he can cling to in his abandonment from an estranged being he may never meet, his real father. Sad, sad, is our contemporary life of people with no givens, no rules, no parameters, but still bound to animal behaviors established in our dna to recreate life when the opportunity presents itself, without thinking about the consequences of creating a home scenario for small ones who will love attention they are given and food, and warmth, and comforting arms, and a father to set the limits--or not. And when or not happens, you have a fatherless child, a kid placed into this world with no limits on his behaviors, so he gets the impression that no one is looking until vigilant eyes see that now-grown person taking away his possessions and deciding whether to do something about it. The rest is future--go to jail or get out of jail free cards, limited supply.

So when we put 40 hours into making a child's quilt, we can ony pray, "Dear God, please let this quilt make up for this child's meager life in which he has no prospects for someone who cares enough for him to set limits so he can make something out of the rest of his life." We put an "amen" on the end, hope the recipient of the quilt will be placated for a while his mother tries to scare up options for him... or not. It's in God's hands, and the best we can do is to leave it there, while those who should have cared to know if his night of pleasure resulted in something he should take care of. The best hope we can have is that each child who has a mother can have a father who keeps tab on his own actions in the creation process. With no religious counselling, we are a lost people because when caring breaks down, so does a life of fulfillment. And a 40-hour task may bring only an hour of joy now and then and a little warmth in cool weather or a picnic cloth in warm weather, but a few minutes of possessing something all one's own may be all it takes for a small one to have something to defend so he can carry on his life to the next level. And my prayer is that it is a good thing for him.

Emily Dickinson said it so well: "If I can ease one heart the aching, I shall not have lived in vain."

5. Erinwltr

Erinwltr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,361
    Did you write the first two paragraphs?

6. beautress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,624
    Yes, I did, Erin. I wrote everything originally except for my quote of Emily Dickinson's amazing words which has inspired me since I first read it. Those words didn't do less than stun me, and I adopted them as a cause celebre for doing nonstop charity quilts. I see sad things in our society. I hope the way I expressed it was unoffensive to anyone, as it is just my take on the sadness of not living life according to the recommendations of the good book, which are unknown to children of atheists who for their reason hate religion, churches, Christians, and anyone else they blame for their hidden issue. I have a feeling there is considerable anger toward any church that produces a leader who molests a child, not to mention the child who was molested deciding that because an official of a church hurt him, that church and all churches, that priest, and all ministers, and what they taught other people is all bad.

That's why discipline of order should never go unnoticed, particularly, when two parents, armed with their child's testimony, bring their rage and fury to proprietary members of the church. If their issue goes unaddressed, the chips fall where they may. This makes everybody sad, but many more people are never molested, but instead are comforted when they have losses, loved when their good works are known, and treated with dignity and respect when they grow old and lose faculties of excellence formerly their light in the world.

Bad things happen to good people. The best way I should look at them was written in the good book many years before I came along. It says something like "The sun rises and the sun sets on the just and the unjust" and in another, I can't even quote it poorly, but it gets across the point that it rains on the rich and the poor alike. In more primitive times, wealth was a sign that God's favor rested on that person. Today, depending on the company one keeps, wealth makes someone like Donald Trump the worst person in the world, whereas it makes George Soros practically the giver of life in some circles.

I never view wealth as a character trait. How one uses one's wealth is seldom obvious, but it is easier for a person of extreme wealth to make an error that is immediately a reason to use a Marie Antoinette as a candidate for beheading via the guillotine. That's a bad way to deal with feelings, and so are kangaroo court decisions. Just my humble opinion.