Arrrgghhhh --- I love my truck, but....

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
...it's giving me issues that I can't diagnose fully. 'Course, I'm not a mechanic. Anyone know anything about catalytic converters?

...it's giving me issues that I can't diagnose fully. 'Course, I'm not a mechanic. Anyone know anything about catalytic converters?

I know they are the root of all evil when they become plugged up.......

Yeah...I think I am going to have to replace mine, but the symptoms don't exactly match up with a bad cat.

Can a cc cause a vehicle to overheat?

Truck sounds waaaay throaty. Also seems to be loss of power, but since its such an old truck that could be any number of things. Also, truck seems to be overheating, but can't tell for sure. Temp gauge is and has been busted. But it got that knock that vehicles get when they are running too hot.

All happened in on the way to work this evening. (not like I've been driving around with it this way). So I'm praying it will get me home in the morning. The overheating issue is the one that worries me the most. I checked the coolant, and the level is fine.

Truck sounds waaaay throaty. Also seems to be loss of power, but since its such an old truck that could be any number of things. Also, truck seems to be overheating, but can't tell for sure. Temp gauge is and has been busted. But it got that knock that vehicles get when they are running too hot.

All happened in on the way to work this evening. (not like I've been driving around with it this way). So I'm praying it will get me home in the morning. The overheating issue is the one that worries me the most. I checked the coolant, and the level is fine.
Make & model?

Make & model?

1988 Ford F150. 4.9L straight 6.

Thermostat maybe?

But would that explain the extreme change in the exhaust sound?

Also, I should add that I think transmission fluid leaked on the cat 2 days ago*, and burned off. Probably way overheated the cat at the same time.

* = I'm busy trying to google an exhaust diagram for the truck to see if this is possible. I know I have a slooooow seep of tranny fluid, cause I have to add a quart every 6 weeks or so. I think I overfilled it, cause the sumbitch was smoking harder than Art15 at a cheech & chong show when I drove it again. Smoke went away, but I'm wondering if the smoke happened cause the fluid leaked onto the cat.

What's this trucks future? Do you plan on keeping it for any length of time? Is it an asset to you or a liability? If it was mine, I would either make the decision to keep it, and if so, rebuild the motor. If I didn't want to put any money into it, I'd trade it or buy some new shoes and hit the shoe leather expressway.

What's this trucks future? Do you plan on keeping it for any length of time? Is it an asset to you or a liability? If it was mine, I would either make the decision to keep it, and if so, rebuild the motor. If I didn't want to put any money into it, I'd trade it or buy some new shoes and hit the shoe leather expressway.

Gotta last me 8 more months.

Talked with a mechanic friend of mine, he says it sounds exactly like a bad cat, included the overheating symptom. He said it should be OK for the drive home, since it's mostly interstate and there's enough airflow to keep the engine cool enough since the coolant system is still ok. He also said it should be OK for short jaunts to the store for a bit until he can get a sec to look at it pro-bono, wednesday.

Talked with a mechanic friend of mine, he says it sounds exactly like a bad cat, included the overheating symptom. He said it should be OK for the drive home, since it's mostly interstate and there's enough airflow to keep the engine cool enough since the coolant system is still ok. He also said it should be OK for short jaunts to the store for a bit until he can get a sec to look at it pro-bono, wednesday.

Understand the situation... Good luck with it.

Understand the situation... Good luck with it.

Thanks.

In 8 months the wifes car will be paid off, and while I was looking forward to not having ANY car payment...that might not be in the cards.

Hmmm. That's a cheap enough repair. Certainly cheaper than an engine rebuild. Hope it works out for you.

None of the engines I'm used to working on have CCs. :tongue:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlDtP8T_5I]YouTube - Camp Sather, Iraq, Power Plant[/ame]

Forum List

Back