Armed civilian ship

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RetiredGySgt, Apr 26, 2009.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,924
    Now where is that certain liberal dumb ass to claim there are armed merchantmen in use around Somalia?

This clearly indicates that the use of armed security is frowned on by the Owners and Companies and they even get upset at others for doing it.

Cruise ship fends off pirate attack with gunfire

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Indeed. And from which country did they hire? LOL! Oh yea, the were safe.

3. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Given that the average pirate heavy wepaon is an RPG and is unlikely to be able to significantly damage and ocean going ship of more than a couple of hundred tons. It would seem that Armed security guards would be a good idea. A few idiots get their butts shot off piracy will be a lot less attractive.

By the way another whole in the whole idea that the pirates took to pirating because they could catch any fish. Puhlease with 90% of the fishing fleet gone pirating how the hell would they Know?

4. PubliusInfinitum

PubliusInfinitum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    ROFL.. if you read the link, it says that arming normal cargo vessels with security just doesn't make economic sense... Let's see... Hire some former Special operators for 100k/each per year per vessel...

I don't know how many trips those ship make in that area in a year, but we have to assume, it's numerous. Now figure the average ransom of 3 million and I don't see how it can be a loss... a million or two in operators and equipment, which assures against the loss of 3-6-9 million; it's money in the BANK.

They claim it may escalate the violence, well damn... contrary to the article, Pirates kill MANY crews, alebeit not necessarily of Somalia... but it's very common that snatch and grab pirates will kill whoever gets between them and the booty and as a general rule, those morons are THE LOCAL POLICE... or some local 'Federally'.

Screw them... put the shooters on board, give them the authroity in crisis to finish the job and it'll work itself out.

I doubt it woul dbe too hard to find 20 something former special ops guys that want to spend the summer cruising with a chance to open the heads of some pirates for some DECENT COIN...

LOL... I assure you that would be a VERY LONG LINE INDEED!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'm charging 100 doubloons per trip and an extra 300 for every pirate I have to send to Davey Jone's locker with my blunderbuss

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. PubliusInfinitum

PubliusInfinitum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726

Well I don't know what a doubloon goes for these days, but it sounds right to me... Make your mark and COME ABOARD, Matey and we'll fit ya with a lovely 1500RPM Blunderbuss... and a nice pair of deck-shoes ta BOOT!

7. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    how about putting a few Phlanx guns on those ships
    :D
    that will take care of those pirates

8. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Many ships don't carry weapons because a lot of ports won't allow ships with arms on them. Plus, the ship owners are worried about guns because of possible liability issues. But arming the civilian ships seems like a simple solution to the pirate problem. Shoot back at the pirates and piracy becomes a lot less attractive.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The companies don't want to pay the higher insurance costs for arming crews. That requires purchasing weapons, providing for THEIR security, training sailors to use them.

Would be more cost effective to toss a two man .50 cal crew of Sailors or Marines on each ship. A .50 will sink a fishing boat.

10. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    I just said that to my GF 20 minutes ago.