Arizona To Require American Flags In Classrooms

Discussion in 'Education' started by GotZoom, Feb 17, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    PHOENIX — Rebuffing concerns of government indoctrination, a legislative panel voted Tuesday to require a U.S. flag in every classroom in public, charter, community college and state university classroom to "instill patriotism." And the banners must be manufactured in this country. The bill expands on current law, which says only that each public school must have one flag, presumably on a pole outside. This legislation says each classroom also will have at least one flag, at least two feet high by three feet wide. And the measure extends the requirement to state-financed universities and community colleges that currently have no such mandate. "We live in a time, I think, we need to recognize our heritage," said Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, the bill's sponsor. "We need to recognize how lucky we are in this nation." Nothing in the measure approved by the House Committee on Universities, Community Colleges and Technology mandates students actually pledge allegiance to the flag. That leaves intact existing law, which says only public schools — those teaching kindergarten through 12th grade — must set aside a specific time each day for students who want to recite the pledge. But Pearce said the absence of a flag at all is unacceptable. "These are public-funded schools for our public-funded children," he said. "It's appropriate that we instill patriotism at our public institutions." Pearce said the measure follows the refusal of University of Arizona President Peter Likins to honor a request by a student to put a flag in every classroom. Likins said that's true, but not because of lack of patriotism. He said university classrooms, unlike those in public schools, are left unattended and unlocked for many hours each day. That's why professors don't leave books or computers in classrooms, the way they are left in public schools. "Whatever we leave in a classroom may not be there in the morning," he said. Likins said that if the Legislature mandates the flags, he will have no choice but to comply. Rep. David Bradley, D-Tucson, said he appreciates patriotism, citing his own eight years of service in the Navy. "I just don't think you can legislate patriotism," he said. "It has to come from inside their hearts and minds. For us to say, 'You will do this,' has the stench of another era." He explained later he was thinking specifically of Nazi Germany's "programmed loyalty" policies. But House Majority Leader Steve Tully, R-Phoenix, said that is a false premise. He recalled how when he went to school every student said the Pledge of Allegiance every day "and no one became a Nazi or a fascist or a communist." But Rep. Ted Downing, D-Tucson, said patriotism is not like religion, where someone saying eight "Hail Marys" may be more penitent that someone who says only one. "We could fill the United States with flags. That wouldn't make us any more patriotic than if we had only one flag," he said. Pearce disagreed. "Right after 9/11, everybody had a flag flying," he said. "I think it does instill patriotism." Pearce said public schools can afford the cost of flags for each of their classrooms. As for universities and community colleges, he said he plans to add money to their budgets to comply with the measure, which now goes to the full House.

http://www.azstarnet.com/altsn/snredesign/relatedarticles/115962

2. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,716
    If I remember correctly there was always an American flag in our classrooms when I was in grade school and up in California. Every morning we had to say the Pledge of Allegiance to it. I assumed all classrooms already had flags...

3. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    An American flag made in America? No such beast exists.

Personally, I think flags are in correlation with patriotism, not its causation.
    As Rep. Russell Pearce said, "Right after 9/11, everybody had a flag flying." It wasn't because of the sudden appearance of flags that everyone suddenly became patriotic, it was September 11th that did it. The flags were only there because everyone was already patriotic. An unpatriotic person is not going to hang or appreiciate a flag, and I doubt having one in the classroom will change anything. From my experience, it will be hung in a dark corner where no one will notice it because they're too busy in class.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    If no one notices it, its no problem. They can hang up up right next to the cross.

5. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Wow! It's a miracle you didn't grow up to be a Nazi. :rolleyes: ;)

6. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    This sounds like a great idea...let's waste money buying flags instead of quality teachers. Last I checked, school is supposed to educate, not indoctrinate.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually they were formed for just that reason, to indoctrinate:

http://www.nd.edu/~rbarger/www7/ord17857.html

8. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thats a whole different type of animal and you know it.

9. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    However it was during that time period, I think it has evolved into something a bit different. We go to school to broaden our perspective of the world around us. We don't go there to be told to be good Americans, or at least we shouldn't, even if that was the philosophy in 1787.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    You're crazy----kids need to at least have an idea how to be a good citizen.