Aren't We Thankful For Campaign Finance Reform?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
The dems keep whining about how Bush has an additional 5 weeks to spend his money, never mentioning that they thought there were political advantages to their shorted primary races and early Convention. I think they protest a little too much:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...040730/pl_washpost/a25850_2004jul29&printer=1

I think we will see the GOP watching these ads very closely! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Anyone want to say Soros, Moveon, and Tides?

dilloduck said:
Seems like the only thing both sides agree on is that you gotta have a lotta bucks to run for Pres.

That's a given. Always has struck me strange though, that the Republicans consistantly have more 'small' donations, those under $200. The dems tend to not collect as much, though this election that is debatable, but the contributions tend to be from PAC's and certain interest groups. Makes one wonder which party is more beholding to special interests?

Hey, I understand that many dems, 'are too poor' to contribute! Don't even go there....

Kathianne said:
That's a given. Always has struck me strange though, that the Republicans consistantly have more 'small' donations, those under $200. The dems tend to not collect as much, though this election that is debatable, but the contributions tend to be from PAC's and certain interest groups. Makes one wonder which party is more beholding to special interests?

Hey, I understand that many dems, 'are too poor' to contribute! Don't even go there....

I always thought McCain was an idiot for pushing for this. Did he really think that this would make the election process look more palatable to voters who were disgusted with the American political process? It was obvious from the get go that both parties would find the loopholes in this one.

dilloduck said:
I always thought McCain was an idiot for pushing for this. Did he really think that this would make the election process look more palatable to voters who were disgusted with the American political process? It was obvious from the get go that both parties would find the loopholes in this one.

The law of 'unintended consequences' or 'the way to hell is paved with good intentions'?

gop_jeff said:
CFR makes me sick, and has irreparably tainted McCain, IMO.
I agree---the guy wants to be pres so bad. He thought that CRF would make him some kind of hero. Then he even flirted around with the Dem VP idea. He's no asset to the GOP except for his vote in the Senate (which isn't a given as it should be).

I think if a smart conservative tried to run against McCain due to CFR he could win. in fact if i was old enough and lived in Arizona id do it easily. McCain is vulnerable in alot of areas. I could run a rather positive campaign contrast my positions against McCain, particularly the positions that politicians dont have to be corrupt contrary to McCains positions that all politicians are dishonest and corrupt.

I think we could also make some noise on it running against McCain and challenging the constitutionality of the no critisism of an incumbent and ask him why he wants to keep the American people from critisizing him before an election.

Shame on Bush for signing Campaign Finance Reform into law. Shame on the Supreme Court for upholding Campaign Finance Reform. Oh sure, the original intent was good (i.e. disengage politicians from the interests of large donors), but what really happened is an assault on the First Amendment.

Now it is illegal to run negative campaign ads thirty days before an election. That's limiting political speech and is what the free speech clause of the First Amendment is really all about!

:D We agree! Btw, love your Avatar, my hero many moons ago. Of course, that was when I was young & stupid. Good intentions WINS!

#5: The law of 'unintended consequences' or 'the way to hell is paved with good intentions'?

Forum List

Back